Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Numanoid wrote:
pmczar wrote:Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day

Ohm Force Ohmicide: Today's Price $29
That store should be called Teamster's Friend, everything's got to be shipped by snailmail :P :(

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

And even at $29 Ohmicide is basically a "one-trick pony" distortion FX plug
It's a really good trick.

Galbanum expansions no longer on sale at cakewalk? :shrug:

audientronic wrote:Galbanum expansions no longer on sale at cakewalk? :shrug:
If you haven't saved the item in your basket at Cakewalk, it seems the offer is gone.

But get the $5 vocal expansion for Dimension instead. Choir packs are not so common and this one is versatile and sounding decent enough

Hum got the 20 buck DSF HD strings expansion thingy for Dim Pro and unless I'm missing something it sounds terrible. Maybe I just don't know how to use it. Tried it on a couple midis I use to test my own string type instruments and it sounded shrill and sort of made lots of Wow noises. I just made a free Kontakt wrapper for the Philharmonia violin samples that I swear sounds orders of magnitude better. I'm no violinist but since I spent a week or so listening to violin samples to make the wrapper, I'm in a violin listening mode and those DSF strings sound very, very wrong.
Quick test midi fragment with 3 different DSF strings patchs, basic Dim Pro, Gerritan Pocket, Miroslav, the SI string section that comes with MC6T, my own freebies string section and NI's Session Strings.

https://soundcloud.com/bigcat1969/sets/strings-test
Last edited by bigcat1969 on Fri May 30, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bigcat1969 wrote:Hum got the 20 buck DSF HD strings expansion thingy for Dim Pro and unless I'm missing something it sounds terrible.
I think the value for money price for DSF HD Strings is much closer to $20 than $149. It usable, but I would never have paid full price for it, not even 20 bucks, I got it for free 8)

Now wondering if I should pick up the Hip Hop expansion for Dim, sounds in the pack looks to be usable for all kinds of downtempo music

What I don't understand is why the equally ancient Miroslav sounds so durn good?

SciScat (through ebay) is selling the Sonivox Playa Producer Pack for $29.95

Playa Producer Pack

But...you can make an offer, and you might get it for even less. I was able to get it for a bit less. I put in a "What the hell" offer, and it got accepted.

Shipping is $4.13

I've been looking at this offer for quite a while, the package is a few years old, but for the price, I'll play with it and see.

bigcat1969 wrote:What I don't understand is why the equally ancient Miroslav sounds so durn good?
Miroslav was recorded by a perfectionist that intended to use the recordings as a complete replacement for a live orchestra. To my understanding, the only thing "dated" about the Miroslav samples is that they were done in mono (which, actually, is the number of channels an actual violin has :D ). IK added a modern 'sheen' with 21st century processing tools, and, most likely, compressed the original samples a bit to fit SampleTank requirements.

The original Miroslav samples sold for a mere $3,500 on CD when they were originally released. Now you can get them for $29. I dare say that this is a much bigger bang for the buck than the Cakewalk sale.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Thanks for that explanation. Yes this one I just bought goes in my waste of 20 bucks pile, Miroslav stays in my that sounds lovely pile.

Just a note that Sonivox uses PACE copy protection. If you aren't aware, though otherwise that looks like a nice deal for 30 bucks.

bigcat1969 wrote:Quick test midi fragment with basic Dimension Pro strings, Garritan Pocket and the DSF strings. All same DAW (Studio One) and same midi.
That doesn't sound like a "sampling" issue, per se, but more like a tuning issue. The problem only seems to affect the patch that is playing the melody. It seems like two of the "elements" are detuned a semi-tone (or so). Have you tried using a different patch for that line (i.e. violas) to see if the problem persists? The rest of the ensemble seems okay to me.

-Brad

bigcat1969 wrote:Just a note that Sonivox uses PACE copy protection. If you aren't aware, though otherwise that looks like a nice deal for 30 bucks.
Yeah last I tried a SoniVox product (Pulse), everytime I started it, it would kill FireFox. I uninstalled it after that. Buyer beware.

forkol wrote:SciScat (through ebay) is selling the Sonivox Playa Producer Pack for $29.95
Sonivox are the same people that make Pulse?

Miroslav Orchestra refill has a pretty good string section in it and you can pick it up here for $90.00
http://www.esoundz.com/sounds/miroslav- ... /2124.html

I've never tried the plugin version, but i was impressed how good the refills were. They might not be uber realistic sounding compared to the massive GB libraries you can buy from Vienna, EQWL etc but they were way better than the stock sounds you got in reasons orchestral library.
:borg:

Numanoid wrote: ...
Sonivox are the same people that make Pulse?
Yep.

As for PACE Drivers, I'm already tied up with them lock-stock-barrel because I-lock with East-West. Never really had any issue with it on my machine.

Edit: Now I also see that JRR shop has the Dubstep Destruction for $49.99, which the JRR discount applies. So, for about $60.00 total spent, you could pick up both (like I'm about to do!)

By the way, I have no use for trying to use this for dubstep. Listening to the examples, it seems like it's would be cool for making some cinematic drones and rumbles and other sound design.

n/m, don't care.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”