How do you organize your vst plugins folder?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bob bobwood wrote:I don't organize but I can cope. I work on memory and pot luck.

With all due respect [and heartfelt thanks] to the makers of the plugins, I don't understand this sorting by dev/company. If I have in mind a tool to do a particular thing, I only need the name of the dll not when it was born and who fathered it. So if I were to organize, it would be by my own defined categories.
There are more and more plug-ins that defy categorization because they either function as several categories or are in themselves "suites" (like T-Racks, or the iZotope ones).
That's why I choose to have builders folders, and organize that way. It's easy for me to remember if a plug-in I want was made by U-He, or iZotope or IK Multimedia, therefore, it's just a matter of go to that folder, and I have just a small bunch of options to choose from.
However, I noticed that, on the Mac, some react bad to this (eg - Nativwe Instruments and Arturia are two companies which VSTs I can't put in sub-folders (they crash if I dod that).

I think it's because, somehow, the VST and the AU plug-ins are interconnected.
Fernando (FMR)

I don't. Two turntables and a mic is all you need.

D:\VST\<architecture>\<plugin>

e.g. D:\VST\x64\Amplitube
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

C:\PLUGINS\VST\Developer\Plugin

C:\PLUGINS\VSTi\Developer\Plugin

bob bobwood wrote:With all due respect [and heartfelt thanks] to the makers of the plugins, I don't understand this sorting by dev/company. If I have in mind a tool to do a particular thing, I only need the name of the dll not when it was born and who fathered it. So if I were to organize, it would be by my own defined categories.
I did it because it ended up being the simplest way. Lot's of plugins fall into being put into two or more categories and I couldn't deal with making sure they were all sitting in the correct category or sub category.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Categorization and "tags" and "meta-data" are all ridiculously stupid.

It has been said and so it is.

Okay, I'll explain why. Subjectivity.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Simple I look the plugins property before in FL Studio or in Studio One and after I fix\change the folder structure on name company\developer, for example: Kjaerhus Audio\Classic Reverb, this choice help me if after I must give my rough mix to an engineer for mastering, to avoid compatibility problems...

aciddose wrote:Categorization and "tags" and "meta-data" are all ridiculously stupid.

It has been said and so it is.

Okay, I'll explain why. Subjectivity.
Totally agree there. NI's content tagging system that it uses in, e.g. Massive, is just totally stupid. Is this a bass sound? It is if I play it down low or thought a pitch shifter. Is it usable in Detroit House? Who gives a shit! I realize you don't have to follow the guidelines all the time and it's just there to be used when you want and ignored at other times, but the whole thing throws me off, like a butler following me around and trying to preempt what I want.

Most of the time I find what I want because I name sounds how they sound to me, and if I don't find what I want, I find something equally fitting which is suprising and injects new life to the project.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

The bush era called, they want their thread back.

Actually, I'm glad this was bumped. What I always though is first rule of vst folder......don't f**k with vst folder.

Only using x64 here (I just delete everything x86 vst wise) and believe it or not, I don't have THAT many plugs.

What would be handy is grouping like IK for example. Not sure I understand how to do that and everything works fine right now.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Studio one already does that for me :lol:

So it's just live that shows all of them and that can be filtered.

Categorization by the user can be useful, subjectively, of course.

The real problems start to happen when you realize you're just slicing the cake too thin.

Do I want a host like Cubase to filter out plugins based upon a "tag" ?

Maybe I want to use an "instrument" to process some audio.

So, of course I don't use Cubase. Reaper has the same issue although there is nothing forcing you to use a plugin as listed of course. You can use an effect as an instrument, they're just categorized in a for the most part profoundly stupid way.

Positive critique: They should be listed by tag, sure, but this should be optional. For example a "search": "vsti" or "vst::instrument" or whatever. "vsti & inputs >= 2".

This would be a vast improvement. Common options could be tick boxes set up in the skin configuration.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

hibidy wrote:...What I always though is first rule of vst folder......don't f**k with vst folder.
I learnt that one recently. I always used to install Emu's Proteus VX to my own created plugin folder - lot's of instability, crashes etc. I then decided to let in it install exactly where it wanted to - hey presto - instability gone.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Return to “Effects”