What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Are you left-handed, right-handed or ambidextrous?

Left-handed
39%
Right-handed
45%
Ambidextrous
16%

Total votes : 80
KVRAF

1633 posts since 5 Nov, 2009

Postby arkmabat; Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:14 am Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

Dang, never realized how my brain has a "which hand to use" autopilot. I always use my right hand to open the fridge..
KVRAF

5234 posts since 23 May, 2002, from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Postby kritikon; Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:04 pm Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

Much the same with me as for HeWhoTugsDonkeys; bowl lefthanded, bat righthanded, catch with any body part that gets in the way. Can mouse with either equally well. Ok with knife&fork but prefer left hand rather than piercing my face with my right hand. Play pool lefthanded, tennis etc righthanded. Can write with either but will never actually choose the right. Hate the geetar but naturally pick one up lefthanded. As for wanking, defo ambidextrous - need to use both hands to get a decent hold of it. :dog:
KVRAF

9248 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from Alto Icon

Postby Aloysius; Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:12 pm Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

:hihi:
My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake.
KVRAF

6461 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:34 pm Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

Left-handed eater and writer. Right-handed guitar and drums. Left-handed smoker. I couldn't get the hang of the crossed-hand piano technique, so I bought a kazoo.
KVRAF

9299 posts since 20 Oct, 2007

Postby jancivil; Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:01 pm Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

robojam wrote:I noticed one other person voted ambidextrous. Not sure if I'm left or right handed as my left hand is mostly dominant, but I write with my right hand (I can also write passably with my left hand).

Never tried to learn any instrument left handed though, but have tried left-handed guitars and think it wouldn't be any more difficult to learn that way.
I voted ambidextrous first of all out of the baseball, 'throws right, bats both'. I think if I had to learn guitar left-handed it wouldn't have been much different, but I do not write with my left hand. Some times the left is dominant, I think I am 'left-footed'. I reach with the left a lot of the time. I recognize 'smokes left-handed'. I'm not predominantly right- or left-brained, also.
I remember my father being indecisive about what hand to shoot a basketball with.
KVRAF

8970 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:10 pm Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

You also have a dominant eye, which is far more important in many cases than your handedness.

A right-eyed person should be able to focus more on the voicing while a left-eyed person would be more easily focused on the fretting in a typical right-handed guitar.

I'm left handed, but strongly right-eye dominant. So I do just about everything "right handed" while people don't realize these things are actually "right eyed".

Shooting for example your "eyedness" is very important.
KVRAF

4080 posts since 11 Feb, 2006, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby mystran; Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:30 pm Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

seismic1 wrote:Left-handed smoker.

If you're smoking and drinking beer (or whatever) at the same time (so you're holding a glass/bottle and a cigarette at the same time), which hand do you hold the drink with? :)

Anyway, I suspect that a disproportionate percentage of people interested in forum threads and polls involving left-handedness are in fact left-handed. :)
Image <- plugins | forum
Boss Lovin' DR

3555 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:41 pm Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

You need to have the left hand free to argue and point.
KVRian

1273 posts since 13 Jun, 2008, from Napier,New Zealand

Postby an-electric-heart; Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

I'm left handed... sucks when I'm looking for new guitars, there'll be like 200 guitars in the shop and two lefty's... also left handed guitars cost more.
I do kick boxing too, I fight right handed because my trainer decided to make me switch (just like Rocky in Rocky 2... maybe? :hihi: )... just so it was easier for him to teach me.
KVRAF

2113 posts since 27 Dec, 2002, from London

Postby cron; Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:52 pm Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

aciddose wrote:You also have a dominant eye, which is far more important in many cases than your handedness.

A right-eyed person should be able to focus more on the voicing while a left-eyed person would be more easily focused on the fretting in a typical right-handed guitar.

I'm left handed, but strongly right-eye dominant. So I do just about everything "right handed" while people don't realize these things are actually "right eyed".

Shooting for example your "eyedness" is very important.

Good point. I'm left handed but almost blind in my left eye. This is (obviously) why I am rubbish at everything.
KVRAF

6461 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:21 pm Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

mystran wrote:
seismic1 wrote:Left-handed smoker.

If you're smoking and drinking beer (or whatever) at the same time (so you're holding a glass/bottle and a cigarette at the same time), which hand do you hold the drink with? :)

Anyway, I suspect that a disproportionate percentage of people interested in forum threads and polls involving left-handedness are in fact left-handed. :)

Right hand is for pizza :)

Seriously, I usually flip the glass/bottle over to the right hand when multitasking.

The earlier point about the dominant eye is interesting. My bias is certainly to the right....way over to the right.
KVRAF

9299 posts since 20 Oct, 2007

Postby jancivil; Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:54 pm Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

I'm definitely heavily left-eyed.
KVRAF

8970 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:36 pm Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

Apparently equal portions of both the left and right eyes are handled by left and right hemispheres. So we can't make up any of that nonsense about being left or right brained based upon eyedness.

:cry:

I think it's z (near/far) axis inversion. You'd never know of course that you see the whole world backwards. You'd just call backwards forwards and right left or left right. Of course lucky you don't have y (up/down) axis inversion! You'd end up hitting your head on the ceiling a lot. Damn upside down gravity.
KVRist

344 posts since 31 Aug, 2013

Postby Bombadil; Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:32 am Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

Actuarial data shows that us lefties live shorter lives, probably due to living in a world where everything is made for righties. Discrimination, I say.

BTW: I used to pitch/throw left-handed and batted right-handed. In hockey, I shot right-handed, but if I played goalie, I'd use a glove and blocker for a leftie. If I ever get interested in golf (highly improbable) I'd drive/putt right.
KVRAF

2870 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Postby fluffy_little_something; Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:04 am Re: A disproportionate percentage of musicians are left-handed - fact or myth?

Bombadil wrote:Actuarial data shows that us lefties live shorter lives, probably due to living in a world where everything is made for righties. Discrimination, I say.

BTW: I used to pitch/throw left-handed and batted right-handed. In hockey, I shot right-handed, but if I played goalie, I'd use a glove and blocker for a leftie. If I ever get interested in golf (highly improbable) I'd drive/putt right.

Shorter lives? :o Never heard of that. What I have heard is that left-handed people are supposed to be more extreme and talented, but on the other hand also more prone to violence and crime. It probably has to do with brain differences.

I don't think the fact that our world is still more or less made for right-handed people reduces the life expectancy for left-handed people. Our world is also still very male-oriented, yet women live longer than men.

Maybe a possibly lower statistical value has something to do with higher crime rates and thus the risk of ending up in jail, which is not the right place to get old :hihi:
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic