What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

what do you think of audio technica m50 series which model? 50s, 50, or 50x?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

AstralExistence
KVRAF

1941 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby AstralExistence; Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:04 pm what do you think of audio technica m50 series which model? 50s, 50, or 50x?

so im thinking about replacing my 6 year old/crackling krk 6 g2s and was wondering how well my mixes would transfer over. i don't think ill be investing in any more krk monitors. krk seems to be a great studio monitor when first purchased, but the build quality over time degrades and krk monitors just don't last as long as i would prefer them too or think they should. more hype then actual quality.

does anybody use ath m50/series as their main studio monitor solution and how long have you had them and if so, do they still work good after all the time you have owned them. do they make you feel fatigued when worn for long periods of time. do i want the original 50, newer 50s, or newest 50x? which is best because newest isn't always the greatest.

ill be using the focusrite 2i2 as my audio interface. i know it sounds funny but i wonder if my mixes will be even better using the ath headphones. after having them for 6 years, i am so not impressed with my krk 6 g2s.
chroma
KVRian

548 posts since 10 Jan, 2010

Postby chroma; Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:05 am Re: what do you think of audio technica m50 series which model? 50s, 50, or 50x?

50s is just a 50 with a straight cable instead of curled. Haven't used the x but I love my 50s pair...
bluzkat
KVRist

63 posts since 17 Apr, 2008, from Lansing, Michigan

Postby bluzkat; Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:32 pm Re: what do you think of audio technica m50 series which model? 50s, 50, or 50x?

I have two pair of the M50s (one straight, one curled) and like them a bunch. As far as the newer 50x, the only difference I could see is it now comes with both cables and are detachable. Nice idea if you are hard on cords. :D

I've got an old Sennheiser headphone that I've replaced the cord on 3 times in 25 years (Senn. HD 560)
bluzkat
svm3
Banned

Postby svm3; Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:11 am Re: what do you think of audio technica m50 series which model? 50s, 50, or 50x?

exactly, agree with @bluzkat
xamido
KVRian

857 posts since 1 May, 2010

Postby xamido; Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:40 am Re: what do you think of audio technica m50 series which model? 50s, 50, or 50x?

Love your ear, don't mix with headphones.

As for why KRK sounds bad and doesn't help your mix is because they are not really a good speaker. Buy better monitor.

As for M50, i don't like them for mixing. The bass is pretty exaggerated, just like those KRK. To mix better you need something that's flatter in freq response.
GAS
Aubrey Lamont
KVRist

334 posts since 28 Feb, 2013

Postby Aubrey Lamont; Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:23 am Re: what do you think of audio technica m50 series which model? 50s, 50, or 50x?

Krk rokits aren't great, but they aren't terrible either. After 6 years you prob know them pretty well. If you're going to switch, make it a big upgrade rather than headphones.

That said I mix with m50s when I'm out of town. It's more difficult, but it can be done with decent results. Be aware they have a boosted bass and attenuated mids. Not as exaggerated as hifi speakers though.
pljones
KVRAF

4620 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from London, UK

Postby pljones; Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:12 am Re: what do you think of audio technica m50 series which model? 50s, 50, or 50x?

If you're going for 'phones - and I know some need to mix on 'phones, as I have to - I'd go for Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. They're very flat and about the same price (in the UK). I got the DT770M as I drum and find I get pretty good mixes when using them for reference.

(I do very, very rough mixing on my PC's weedy ViewSonic monitor speakers plus an X-mini, so their a huge improvement on that! There's no option of full pro speakers in my work area.)

Of course, whatever you do, you'll need to learn what they sound like -- listen to everything you've done before again! Listen to your entire music collection again! It'll all sound new...

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)