iPad 2 and iOS 7 - worth upgrading?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've read a couple of posts about iOS 7 causing the iPad 2 to react slower than with iOS 6. With iOS 7.1 now released, is this still a problem?

I really want to install Korg Gadget, but am hesitant because of the possibility that the iPad's overall performance will be slower.

Any input higly appreciated.

I've been using iOS 7 on the iPad 2 for months, with no appreciable difference; I find it just as snappy as before. However, I also disabled most of the visual candy that comes with iOS 7 as well as all the auto-notifications and push messages because battery life was an issue... since I did that, it's been working fine and battery life is fine. There's a few sites that discuss the stuff you should disable.

I have two iPad 2. One I run iOS 6, the other iOS 7. I like some of the new features of iOS 7 but I like the look of iOS 6 better.
I don't notice any performance issues with iOS 7.
I share the iOS 6 iPad with my Autistic daughter and she's used to the interface so it's staying on iOS 6.
Soon I will get an iPad Air. I'm curious to see the performance difference in my apps.

Great, guys, that's what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the info :-)

I forgot to mention apps such as Audiobus 2 and some updated features such as Inter-app Audio in Garageband only work with iOS 7.

Yes, this is yet another reason for upgrading. How do you find Audiobus 2? Are the new features working on the iPad 2, or are they too heavy for its processor?

The new features themselves don't cause any extra processor load- it's more that you'll be tempted to do more with it. Depends on the specific apps of course, but an ipad2 can handle 2 chains each with a synth and an effect. Unless the synths are Z3ta and Thor....

Cool, hopefully tomorrow I'll get to try it myself

So, I wanted to update to iOS 7.1.1 today. Everything went fine until the very end of the update procedure, when an error message appeared in iTunes, saying the iPad was password protected, and I needed to enter the password in order to proceed.

Problem was that on the iPad itself, it was at the beginning of a progress bar, so it wasn't possible to enter anything. After this, the progress bar moved a bit, but has now been stalling at the same spot for an hour or so.

What am I to make of this? What can I do now?

I did my update directly on the iPad, but I'm sure this has happened to someone before. You'll likely find a solution on Google and in the Apple discussion forums. You could call Apple support directly if you're still covered.

In the very worse case scenario, make an appointment to see a "genius" at the Apple store...

Thanks for the suggestions, Breeze. As it turned out, the iPad eventually came around and completed the install. I installed Gadget and I'm pretty blown away :-)

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”