K5

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Keeping with a sort of pop sound:

https://archive.org/download/K5Final/k5%20final.mp3

Lots of layering for the distorted guitars and drums in the thicker parts. Some vocoding mixed with vocals. A little use of the new bazille beta.

RMS is lower than current commercial levels so you'll need to turn up your listening device to reach normal listening levels.

Once again you tread that wonderful space between off-the-wall creativity and ultra catchy pop. Great listen, thanks!
Image Image

I'm hearing elements of Prog, pieces of late '60s psychedelia, maybe some post-rock/shoegaze too. It all fits together to form a cohesive song that delivers a very satisfying listening experience. Great work with all of those different guitars and the various vocal treatments. Most enjoyable.

Good work :)

Genetic_Junk wrote:Keeping with a sort of pop sound:

Lots of layering for the distorted guitars and drums in the thicker parts. Some vocoding mixed with vocals. A little use of the new bazille beta.
I love this. Very nice blend of everything good about pop music with none of the filler. Keep it up!
Genetic_Junk wrote:RMS is lower than current commercial levels so you'll need to turn up your listening device to reach normal listening levels.
I love *this* even more! Care to comment on your production techniques? Gear?

-u
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

polyslax wrote:Once again you tread that wonderful space between off-the-wall creativity and ultra catchy pop. Great listen, thanks!
Thanks for listening and commenting polyslax. :)

seismic1 wrote:I'm hearing elements of Prog, pieces of late '60s psychedelia, maybe some post-rock/shoegaze too. It all fits together to form a cohesive song that delivers a very satisfying listening experience. Great work with all of those different guitars and the various vocal treatments. Most enjoyable.

Good work :)
Glad you enjoyed seismic. Thanks for commenting. :)

Unfocused wrote:

I love this. Very nice blend of everything good about pop music with none of the filler. Keep it up!
Genetic_Junk wrote:RMS is lower than current commercial levels so you'll need to turn up your listening device to reach normal listening levels.
I love *this* even more! Care to comment on your production techniques? Gear?

-u
Sure. For this one, I played most of the guitar parts first. I used pretty much all the guitar boxes: a kemper, a boss gt100, digitech rp1000, pod hd500. Wrote some silly lyrics. I sang them through an equitek e300 mic into a FMR RNP connected to my sound card, an eleven rack. I then played the bass part through the kemper, mostly following the vocal melody. Lastly, I programmed the drums using BFD3 built in groove editor. To keep things a bit cleaner (spectrally), I limited use to kick, snare, and high-hat.

Thanks for listening and commenting. :)

This tune provides a great little sonic journey. I dig your sonic pallet. The upbeat chord progs were really enjoyable. Lot's of creativity in this one.

ecamburn wrote:This tune provides a great little sonic journey. I dig your sonic pallet. The upbeat chord progs were really enjoyable. Lot's of creativity in this one.
Sorry for taking so long to reply. Thanks for listening and glad you enjoyed. :)

I liked some of it...I didn`t like some of it...can that be right?
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:I liked some of it...I didn`t like some of it...can that be right?
Sure it can. :) If you don't mind, what parts do/don't you like?

Genetic_Junk wrote:
part1 - liked that intro
part2 - liked this section a lot. 1st 2 vocal phrases sounded muffled here...the next were not. The mix sounded very boomy at first in the 60 - 120hz range.(approximation) Liking your vocal a lot. Don`t be shy, could be a bit louder at least. :)
Part3 - Liked the filtered drone section.
Part4 - Didn`t like the guitar sounds at all. String picking and thrasher chopping.Not right for this tune imho. Still boomy and the guitars muck it all up.
Part5 - drone bridge
Part6 - continuation of part4 - still guitar problem for me.
Part7 - continuation of part4 - better guitar parts (no thrash) I like this section...maybe a bit overly limited? (the squash proportional to number of instruments. Less content, less squash. This is true overall) This music would sound better if more open then squashed.

I can compare to the band 'Gentle Giant' `cause they will go from a crushed loud rock to a stringy English traditional folk sound right in the same song. If interested, check how they mixed/mastered

annode wrote:
Genetic_Junk wrote:
part1 - liked that intro
part2 - liked this section a lot. 1st 2 vocal phrases sounded muffled here...the next were not. The mix sounded very boomy at first in the 60 - 120hz range.(approximation) Liking your vocal a lot. Don`t be shy, could be a bit louder at least. :)
Part3 - Liked the filtered drone section.
Part4 - Didn`t like the guitar sounds at all. String picking and thrasher chopping.Not right for this tune imho. Still boomy and the guitars muck it all up.
Part5 - drone bridge
Part6 - continuation of part4 - still guitar problem for me.
Part7 - continuation of part4 - better guitar parts (no thrash) I like this section...maybe a bit overly limited? (the squash proportional to number of instruments. Less content, less squash. This is true overall) This music would sound better if more open then squashed.

I can compare to the band 'Gentle Giant' `cause they will go from a crushed loud rock to a stringy English traditional folk sound right in the same song. If interested, check how they mixed/mastered
Thanks very much for the break down. Really interesting for me. My brother had a similar opinion, almost identical about Part4.

Thanks for the Gentle Giant reference. I believe polyslax made the same reference about one of the songs I posted a while ago. I remember listening to Glass House and enjoying. Do you any album recommendations?

Thanks very much for the break down. Really interesting for me. My brother had a similar opinion, almost identical about Part4.

Thanks for the Gentle Giant reference. I believe polyslax made the same reference about one of the songs I posted a while ago. I remember listening to Glass House and enjoying. Do you any album recommendations?
Your welcome Genetic_Junk i`m happy it was of some value to you.
I`ve always enjoyed this style where well crafted stylized ideas are conformed into a single song going from a quiet melodic to a loud grungy rock and back again.
Gentle Giant were masters of this style, along with other artists of that era, but Gentle Giant were largely identified with it. Kerry Minnear cretaed the style. He somehow managed to write passages with a lot of movement, not really in a single key. He used styles like medieval and baroque but with an off kilter, oddness. Really big on the counterpoint. I can certainly see how hearing a few of their LPs could give you some inspiration Genetic_Junk.

- Three Friends 1972 - early in their career, just making it with college radio. Not well engineered audibly but some great tunes in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT51ExR ... ED1C7DAD80
- Interview 1976 - a refreshing album long overdue by this time in their career.
More like their earlier work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCfJM- ... FB15F377F5

They made other good records, but maybe too outside the direction your looking at here. If you like these two, maybe you`ll also like 'Power and The Glory' and 'Free Hand'?

https://archive.org/download/K5Final/k5%20final.mp3

Nice tune Genetic !
I appreciate the creativity and the ability to play some instruments.
It has surely some 70s spirit, in terms of arrangement freedom and apart of
pop structure determination.
As others stated before, there are some instrumentation issues, as well as some mixing problems.
I enjoyed parts of the tune nonetheless ;-)
That´s absolutely some seal of quality :tu:

(( D )

Return to “Music Cafe”