A synth from Tone 2 is coming soon

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or maybe someone who is so close to a company is simply biased...

rasmusklump wrote:Or maybe someone who is so close to a company is simply biased...
Edited. I answered more detailed but i did not want to repeat myself again and again...

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

bailees7irish wrote:I hate to say it but: who cares? It will sound exactly like every other Tone2 synth.
Rayblaster is not sounding like every other Tone2 synth

I personally like Tone2 stuff. Not for everything, but for certain types of sounds, they're great. But I do agree that the presets they ship with tend to all sound alike even from synth to synth. Not that they're bad sounds, mind you, but they do a poor job of showing off what makes each synth unique.
-Tom

https://assemblage23.bandcamp.com
http:/helix.bandcamp.com

doesn't it wonder when always the same bunch of people deliver the stock presets?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Judging from the sound demos, Electra sounds different than Firebird, that's for sure. Somehow softer, and more lush, i like it. I agree though, that there is a certain kind of smiliarity, but not up to the point where i would say, it's simply the same engine, used for different synths. Rather a modified and improved engine. Just like many other developers do too. Who really reinvents the wheel? And for what purpose anyway.

Sadly, people don't want unique, they want the "bleeding edge signature sounds" of whoever happens to be big at the time. Surely, the entire philosophy of electronic music has been turned on it's head.

I thought the presets for Nemesis were very creative and showed off the synth well, though. Saurus had some alright stuff, too.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

If some of us would bother to try their hands at creating presets instead of whining about them we would not need to keep sending out the whaaaambulance....:roll:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

That's true. For me, making sounds is half the fun, but not everyone feels that way. Which is lucky for me, since I run a little synth patch business :)
-Tom

https://assemblage23.bandcamp.com
http:/helix.bandcamp.com

tshear23 wrote:I personally like Tone2 stuff. Not for everything, but for certain types of sounds, they're great. But I do agree that the presets they ship with tend to all sound alike even from synth to synth. Not that they're bad sounds, mind you, but they do a poor job of showing off what makes each synth unique.
Perhaps that's maybe because their business model includes selling many soundsets (or "expansions", or whatever they name it). I don't own any, but I presume these are where they really make the synths shine with their unique features. Personally, I find strange (to say the least) that they launch a synth that was presented as a new approach to FM, and then keep the "FMish" sounds for an expansion, instead of concentrating their efforts in showing why that synth is indeed a new approach to FM, and what really new sounds it can do (there are some, but not that many).

But again, the demo versions (with some annoying splash screens and that irritating noise that comes way too often) allow us to mess with the synthesis engine, and that's enough for me, since I am not a customer of sound packages, and when I buy a synth is for what it can do, not for the sounds that come with it.
Fernando (FMR)

I really don't think it's the presets. It's not the genre, and it's not the category.

Some sounds are okay. But a majority really sound to me like... kind of a thin greasy smear on a sheet of glass. It's sonically uncomfortable and offputting.

Doesn't matter if it's a preset. It's not a sound design choice that is present in all the patches, it's something inherent in the synths themselves.

I've tried all the demos, some of them multiple times, and I came to the same conclusion each time. (And as I recently reinstalled Saurus and Rayblaster to confirm this, I also recall that the UIs don't seem very clear either.)

fmr wrote:
tshear23 wrote:I personally like Tone2 stuff. Not for everything, but for certain types of sounds, they're great. But I do agree that the presets they ship with tend to all sound alike even from synth to synth. Not that they're bad sounds, mind you, but they do a poor job of showing off what makes each synth unique.
Perhaps that's maybe because their business model includes selling many soundsets (or "expansions", or whatever they name it). I don't own any, but I presume these are where they really make the synths shine with their unique features. Personally, I find strange (to say the least) that they launch a synth that was presented as a new approach to FM, and then keep the "FMish" sounds for an expansion, instead of concentrating their efforts in showing why that synth is indeed a new approach to FM, and what really new sounds it can do (there are some, but not that many).

But again, the demo versions (with some annoying splash screens and that irritating noise that comes way too often) allow us to mess with the synthesis engine, and that's enough for me, since I am not a customer of sound packages, and when I buy a synth is for what it can do, not for the sounds that come with it.
I own all Tone 2 synths and the majority of available soundsets (which all together represents several thousand patches) and there is amost any kind of patch/sound you could imagine. As already mentioned even soundsets focused on certain genres do contain a lot of more "general purpose" sounds.

It's also not the case that soundsets for Tone 2 synths are only found on their website. For example Himalaya got a very nice "oldschool" sounding Saurus soundset at his website.
The latest "Synth Legens" soundset published by Tone 2 (again with patches from me) is in the same direction as was the "Analog" soundset which more or less is the predecessor.

There were also soundsets focused e.g. only on Arps + Step sequences, Atmospheres or Pads (where in Nemesis, Rayblaster and Saurus the parameters of the Arp/sequencer could be imported/exported as their own files and those of Saurus and Rayblaster are compatible).

The "Rompler" soundset for ElectraX that was released recently (as the name implies) includes a big amount of new samples.

An upcoming new Nemesis soundset will be focussed on the NeoFM, Resonant and Formant modes.

At the moment i am playing with the presets for Electra 2 (which are around 1200 now) and am blown away by those so far even if i already now many of them from ElectraX.

Anway it will take a long time until all those synths (especially Electra 2 which is very verstaile) are fully exlored in terms of what is possible.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

With Electra 2 i had loaded some of my own single waves i already used in Rayblaster and Nemesis and got some quite different results in Electra 2. With all oscillator modes in Electra 2 (and also ElectraX) except the Sample mode you could morph the waveform using the PW knob. This also works with the imported single cycle and this coul lead osome really different sounds. Also tried to use one of the new filter modes like "Vocal2" or "BP Boobs" (= two BPFs in series where the Reso knob set the seperation/offset of both filters). Looks really intreresting so far.
The PW knob in the Resynthesis feature of Electra 2/ElectraX seem to work in a comparable way as the "SYM" (Symmetry) knob in Linplug Spectral (Spectral is another great synth i spent too less time with after having done a few factoyr presets during the public beta...).

At the current version there are 32 filter modes including several really unusal ones. Also having a dual multimode filter with an option to route different oscillators of a layer differently is a realy nice feature (that was already included with the old version). Of cousre also using both filters in series could be really helpful.
Sometimes a single filter just doen't really work for a desired sound.

The fact that you got up to 4 layers (that could be set to emulate an Unison) is another big bonus and many preset make use of the layers.

While i had already done several patches With ElectraX (that were not published so far) i have programmed it much less than e.g. Saurus, Rayblaster and Nemeis which will hopefully change with the new version.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

And that business model is different from Camel Alchemy, or (insert synth name here), how?

Tone 2 synths in general do have a sound. One that I like for being able to cut through and still blend in the mix. I also went through the demo versions more than once and never got any repeating noise as was mentioned. Perhaps that post was confusing them with the U-He demos of Diva/Bazille?
(I believe the Tone2 restriction is none other than shutting down after ten minutes?)

At any rate, I've felt the synths were fun to play and had a hard time dismissing them by any thing except price. So finally getting some of them during twofer sales, I have to say I like them even better. Granted, many of the supplied sounds don't fit my needs either and so programming has become a requirement for me to use them. But the overall character of these synths are much better than many of the synths being touted around here.

The new upgrade has me watching closely.
And the newest Rayblaster sound set has me actually considering a first purchase of their sets.

Return to “Instruments”