Real Hardware

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dont trust atoms, they make up everything.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

there's a lot in that studio that I am actually glad I dont have to deal with, does that make me new age old? :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

It is difficult to take a loft reverb on the road.

There was a studio in the nashville vicinity that used a tile swimming pool under ground, and they would tweak the reverb time by adjusting the water level.

JCJR wrote:It is difficult to take a loft reverb on the road.

There was a studio in the nashville vicinity that used a tile swimming pool under ground, and they would tweak the reverb time by adjusting the water level.
Can you see them getting irritated at a fickle artist/producer? "Can we make that reverb time a little longer, no, longer, no, longer, no, longer, well, ok, well, maybe not that long, no, shorter still, no I didn't like the original, just a little shorter, no, shorter, no, shorter...."

Hadn't thought about that for so long. I never saw the water level controlled reverb chamber. A friend did a session there and told me about it maybe 1979. Well, he might not have "seen" it either. Studios didn't typically volunteer tours of reverb chambers as far as I knew. Bet some were dark, dusty, rarely visited spaces. One place I worked a good bit, never saw the loft, but knew it was up there. :)

Thinking about it, a water controlled chamber sounds real impractical. Humidity problems alone.

Before digital verbs, hardly anything was practical. Plates, gold foil reverbs, spensive and big, but smaller than a chamber. Spring reverbs just didn't sound that good. I wanted a bright airy verb, and springs need not apply.

For live, I sequentially wore out three echoplex and one cheap little transistor multi head tape loop gadget. They would wear out pretty quick. It was before I learned enough to work on gear. Once the circuitry and mechanics got worn, they got real flakey. Maybe if I'd known more at the time they could have been repaired replacing motors, rollers, heads and electronics.

It was aggravating keeping the tape echo working. Would keep a reel of tape and splicer kit on stage and reload the cartridges every few days. Annoying.

I wanted a decent live reverb so bad. One time made a big box with two three coil big tanks and two three coil small tanks, with a pre delay made from a bucket brigade delay and compander. But it didn't sound much better than any other spring reverb.

Before that, having read about audio delay lines, did a crude prototype experiment for feasibility. 100 foot garden hose, EV 1829 mid driver connected to one end and a mic on the other. Tone was terrible for a 100 ms delay. Maybe twiddling EQ it could have had reasonable fidelity with less trouble than constantly changing echoplex tapes, but right off the bat it wasn't even as good fidelity as a bbd delay. Was hoping for better fidelity than bbd delay.

It was just a godsend when digital delays and digital reverbs got affordable.

About 1982 was doing some work for a studio that got in an ursa major space station. Just loved that thang. Thought it sounded so good, bright and clean. Wanted one bad. Looked up the specs yesterday, and they were terrible by modern standards.

Maybe loft reverbs didn't sound too good on average, because my dumb opinion at the time was that the space station was holding its own real well against a reverb chamber with speakers and mics.

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Get some real hardware on your tracks for free!

http://cloudchamber.co/

Oh the testosterone, thread title should be Real Men use Real Hardware :P

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzxDrfsxzs4

I have some concrete and steel grain bins plus a 65' long steel drive shed.

Reverb?

I can has!!!!!
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:I have some concrete and steel grain bins plus a 65' long steel drive shed.

Reverb?

I can has!!!!!
Nice. I don't have space for that, but maybe I can press an old water heater into service.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”