Is this THING good for music production?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
I need to move on from my ASUS (I was a Thinkpad user but got really BAD experience with a ChipSet Lock :x ).
I read that a MacBookPro with W7 native is great too but a little expensive.

I found this one, 17"
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro

The 14" model has a resolution of 3200x1800, trouble in the making with bitmaps GUI probably (like Reason) :hihi:

Anyone had any experience with a powerful game laptop for music production?
Is a game hardware configuration a problem for a DAW?

Thanks, way in advance, for input on the subject. :)
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Does this thing not have a trackpad? o.O

It actually has a very unusual trackpad: Digital with images like a touchscreen with a trackpad manager.
My concern is the gaming setup with possible interference with the music productions tools.
Beside working with CAD and music, I have very little experience with the inner working s of PCs.

I have a 17" gaming laptop.
I went with a HP, coz it was what they had in the shop.
I had a lot of problems with CPU climbing at idle.
I recommend a Dell XPS or Alienware,
but in a pinch this HP Envy dv7 is OK.
Dell have always been stable and reliable for me.
Since u use CAD, it's possible the high quality GPU will help you a little.
I am not aware of any gaming features compromising audio or design.
Cheers

Thanks nix808, that's reassuring about gaming features.
I picked the Razor based on very high reviews and also the way it's built, very thin and slick looking. The new generation i7 may be available by the end of the 3Q this year.
No much power improvement but a better battery life.

I will do some more research but the experts are here at KVR when it comes to music and gear.

When you get it, run DPC latency checker on it first. If you cant get rid of spikes in half a day. Return it, laptop chipsets have ferocious power saving with chips, fans, etc tied into the BIOS/Drivers - sometimes they just don't work well for low latency audio. Gaming video drivers are problematic with audio. Reverting to the default Ms driver can cure pops n clicks.

I recomend going to ibuypower.com and building your own, will be alot cheaper , my asus has lasted for 7 yers and going strong just need to upgrade ram whenever i can.. i do not recemend hp at all, i had one for school they made me buy and it was crap and expensive. the mac book doesnt sound bad though.. good luck
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

UltraJv wrote:When you get it, run DPC latency checker on it first. If you cant get rid of spikes in half a day. Return it, laptop chipsets have ferocious power saving with chips, fans, etc tied into the BIOS/Drivers - sometimes they just don't work well for low latency audio. Gaming video drivers are problematic with audio. Reverting to the default Ms driver can cure pops n clicks.
See, this is what I need to know. Thank you UltraJv.
I need to see the return policy though and I also discovered MSI laptops, but again, games configurations.
Maybe I should stay away from game machines..

mysticvibes wrote:I recomend going to ibuypower.com and building your own, will be alot cheaper , my asus has lasted for 7 yers and going strong just need to upgrade ram whenever i can.. i do not recemend hp at all, i had one for school they made me buy and it was crap and expensive. the mac book doesnt sound bad though.. good luck
Thanks mysticvibes, I will look into this asap!
I have the same experience with HP and Dell but also my ASUS is bloated from the very beginning :(

ibuypower.com
This place is insane! Great tip! Thanks!

That touch screen track pad is sick. You can get it built-in to a keyboard for $249:

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-de ... r-ultimate

A programmable Micro-iPad for my DAW right on my keyboard! Maybe better: macros etc. (probably not so usable)
I didn't see it before. I was busy with the laptop.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”