what do you think of audio technica m50 series which model? 50s, 50, or 50x?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so im thinking about replacing my 6 year old/crackling krk 6 g2s and was wondering how well my mixes would transfer over. i don't think ill be investing in any more krk monitors. krk seems to be a great studio monitor when first purchased, but the build quality over time degrades and krk monitors just don't last as long as i would prefer them too or think they should. more hype then actual quality.

does anybody use ath m50/series as their main studio monitor solution and how long have you had them and if so, do they still work good after all the time you have owned them. do they make you feel fatigued when worn for long periods of time. do i want the original 50, newer 50s, or newest 50x? which is best because newest isn't always the greatest.

ill be using the focusrite 2i2 as my audio interface. i know it sounds funny but i wonder if my mixes will be even better using the ath headphones. after having them for 6 years, i am so not impressed with my krk 6 g2s.

50s is just a 50 with a straight cable instead of curled. Haven't used the x but I love my 50s pair...

I have two pair of the M50s (one straight, one curled) and like them a bunch. As far as the newer 50x, the only difference I could see is it now comes with both cables and are detachable. Nice idea if you are hard on cords. :D

I've got an old Sennheiser headphone that I've replaced the cord on 3 times in 25 years (Senn. HD 560)
Peace...
bluzkat

exactly, agree with @bluzkat

Love your ear, don't mix with headphones.

As for why KRK sounds bad and doesn't help your mix is because they are not really a good speaker. Buy better monitor.

As for M50, i don't like them for mixing. The bass is pretty exaggerated, just like those KRK. To mix better you need something that's flatter in freq response.
musisikamar.com

Krk rokits aren't great, but they aren't terrible either. After 6 years you prob know them pretty well. If you're going to switch, make it a big upgrade rather than headphones.

That said I mix with m50s when I'm out of town. It's more difficult, but it can be done with decent results. Be aware they have a boosted bass and attenuated mids. Not as exaggerated as hifi speakers though.

If you're going for 'phones - and I know some need to mix on 'phones, as I have to - I'd go for Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. They're very flat and about the same price (in the UK). I got the DT770M as I drum and find I get pretty good mixes when using them for reference.

(I do very, very rough mixing on my PC's weedy ViewSonic monitor speakers plus an X-mini, so their a huge improvement on that! There's no option of full pro speakers in my work area.)

Of course, whatever you do, you'll need to learn what they sound like -- listen to everything you've done before again! Listen to your entire music collection again! It'll all sound new...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”