What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Traveling with or Mailing External HD

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Thomas_Pynchon
Banned

Postby Thomas_Pynchon; Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:43 am Traveling with or Mailing External HD

I'm returning to Canada soon, have people had any issues with immigration carrying sample libraries on a slim external HD? I have also considered mailing it via UPS, but wanted to get clear info about this. Yes I do have some libraries that I have downloaded, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between ones I have bought though. I will use a 1-2 TB slim external, and it will be fully loaded. Thanks
Thomas_Pynchon
Banned

Postby Thomas_Pynchon; Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:14 pm Re: Traveling with or Mailing External HD

Any folks with experience traveling on a plane though customs with an external HD full of samples?
biomechanoid
KVRian

1177 posts since 29 May, 2002, from Scotland

Postby biomechanoid; Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:44 pm Re: Traveling with or Mailing External HD

Yes, multiple times. What kind of problems are you anticipating? Can't think of any reason at all this would be a problem.
[ Camel Audio Alchemy ] [ ucn netlabel ]
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
Thomas_Pynchon
Banned

Postby Thomas_Pynchon; Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:52 pm Re: Traveling with or Mailing External HD

I wasn't sure if I could have it confiscated, erased, or be fined, due to the fact that some of the libraries are downloaded/copies.
biomechanoid
KVRian

1177 posts since 29 May, 2002, from Scotland

Postby biomechanoid; Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:10 pm Re: Traveling with or Mailing External HD

I'm not sure I get the distinction you are making between downloaded / copies vs bought... unless your talking about stolen content. Anyway, I've never heard of anyone having their data checked at an airport, either their computer or external storage. Can't imagine how long it would take to get thru customs if they did this as standard practice. And even if they did, how would they be able to tell anything about where your files came from? The only reason i can imagine they'd be interested in looking at your data is if your name shows up on a list of people suspected of illegal activity.
[ Camel Audio Alchemy ] [ ucn netlabel ]
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
Thomas_Pynchon
Banned

Postby Thomas_Pynchon; Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:57 am Re: Traveling with or Mailing External HD

thanks, good to hear.
Winstontaneous
KVRian

558 posts since 14 Feb, 2006, from Berkeley, CA

Postby Winstontaneous; Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:20 pm Re: Traveling with or Mailing External HD

I recently read a New York Times article about touring musicians without work permits being denied entry to Canada and having the contents of all their electronic devices searched (driving not flying). Customs found their tour itineraries on line -- it was a really creepy Big Brother kind of situation, the underbelly of data 'everywhere'.

I've driven into Canada with instruments several times and other than routine vehicle searches, was never really hassled.
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

6676 posts since 6 Sep, 2008

Postby Mushy Mushy; Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:25 pm Re: Traveling with or Mailing External HD

So you don't want it stolen off you?

Oh the irony.

:idiot:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"
mfb
KVRist

200 posts since 3 May, 2006

Postby mfb; Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:12 am Re: Traveling with or Mailing External HD

I have travelled in and out of Canada with a laptop hardrive, bare hard-drives, hard-drives in external cases, USB sticks, and DVD-Rs with samples and all manner of other stuff. Not once has there been the slightest issue or has anyone ever asked me about let alone looked at the contents of any of them.

I would travel with the drive rather than mailing it (unless you trust yourself less than Canada post and the post office of wherever you are mailing it from). Safest is probably carry-on (I assume you're flying), but I've had hard-drives in checked luggage without issues too.
Thomas_Pynchon
Banned

Postby Thomas_Pynchon; Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:08 am Re: Traveling with or Mailing External HD

Thanks, yes flying.
Numanoid
KVRAF

9571 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:22 am Re: Traveling with or Mailing External HD

Thomas_Pynchon wrote:I have also considered mailing it via UPS

If you are afraid of customs, I don't think UPS will avoid that either. When shipping something with them, you will need to state what that package contains.

Much easier to slip a portable HDD in your carry on baggage when flying.
Bring me the knock on wood cords
james0tucson
KVRAF

4328 posts since 23 Feb, 2004, from Tucson Arizona USA

Postby james0tucson; Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:34 am Re: Traveling with or Mailing External HD

mfb
KVRist

200 posts since 3 May, 2006

Postby mfb; Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:17 pm Re: Traveling with or Mailing External HD

I think customs & immigration really don't care what's on your hard drive. They do, however, care about whether you're going to earn any money while in the country. So, if you have a legit job and/or some other legit reason to enter the country (ie. visit family or even just be a tourist), you're very unlikely to get hassled. If they think you're going to play gigs and you don't have the relevant work permits, then they will hassle you and start going through your stuff looking for reasons to detain you. If, for example, you have a string of gigs advertised all over the internet, but you *don't* have whatever paperwork is required to play such gigs, then you may get into trouble

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries