Is KVR the forum that's the least EDM out there?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kriminal wrote:there is a chance that some ppl are actually very new at all this and have very little idea about creating their own sounds...and its very common to want to emulate stuff you like....
True, but a very specific, lazy and result-based approach is not a good learning method, and a lot of the time the poster lacks manners, shows no groundwork and very little to no appreciation of the results given (they usually aren't "good enough", because they're comparing their sound/preset/whatever that "we" helped them to find/build, to a sound on a mixed-down, mastered record, and I get the impression they feel "our" advice wasn't good enough, because it lacks the impact of the mastered target sound, for reasons that are obvious to us).

They just want instant gratification and I hate that. Have a relationship with sound or GTFO, I say. I honestly believe sometimes that's the most helpful response. If I don't believe saying that would be productive, I'll say nothing.
Last edited by Sendy on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Tricky-Loops wrote:Some people could change their attitude, give 'em a chance! :wink:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=413303
But this guy clearly wants to learn about synthesis, and is politely asking for help. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that, even on the grumpiest of days :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

lotus2035 wrote:I think it's important to mention age here. I'm not going to give some 15 year old grief for posting some mundane thing about some preset. Just maybe they don't need to hear some jaded grumpy c**ts tell them they're no good, who knows what damage you might cause to their curiosity and enthusiasm.
I agree, but ummm...this old man grew up with the generations before me thinking rock and roll was evil...how many grumpy old guitar players do you think told us we were doing everything wrong?(which was kind of part of the point :hihi: ) My 'not grumpy ever' father even, we fixed up an old tube amp he had for ham radio and when we were done he was extremely proud of how clean it was and how little distortion there was. I wish I had of known that before I said "but dad, there's no distortion" :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Sendy wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:Some people could change their attitude, give 'em a chance! :wink:

But this guy clearly wants to learn about synthesis, and is politely asking for help. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that, even on the grumpiest of days :)
But it shows that there are still polite people who want to learn to make their own sounds, not only "Gimme this damn Avicii preset, dude!"...

Why should EVERYONE learn synthesis? Aren't there already enough people who make their own sounds?

Tricky-Loops wrote:
Sendy wrote:

But it shows that there are still polite people who want to learn to make their own sounds, not only "Gimme this damn Avicii preset, dude!"...

Why should EVERYONE learn synthesis? Aren't there already enough people who make their own sounds?
It depends how heavily your music depends on sound design. If you do music where timbre is an important factor, learn synthesis and sampling, DSP and the rest of it, and use presets to fill in where your abilities end. Knowing synthesis also helps you to tweak presets in a meaningful way. Given how much modern music is dependent on timbre, it amazes me how many people are uninterested and just want results. Perhaps, sound manipulation being the one thing that gives me a reason to live, I'm a little overzealous about protecting her honour? I dono :)

But if they don't want to learn sound design, or don't need to, they shouldn't be in the sound design forum, IMO! This perhaps isn't their fault, as there's nowhere else they can go (soundware perhaps?), but it's something of a problem (though hardly the end of the world).

Sendy wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
Sendy wrote:

It depends how heavily your music depends on sound design. If you do music where timbre is an important factor, learn synthesis and sampling, DSP and the rest of it, and use presets to fill in where your abilities end. Knowing synthesis also helps you to tweak presets in a meaningful way. Given how much modern music is dependent on timbre, it amazes me how many people are uninterested and just want results. Perhaps, sound manipulation being the one thing that gives me a reason to live, I'm a little overzealous about protecting her honour? I dono :)

But if they don't want to learn sound design, or don't need to, they shouldn't be in the sound design forum, IMO! This perhaps isn't their fault, as there's nowhere else they can go (soundware perhaps?), but it's something of a problem (though hardly the end of the world).
Maybe a "What the...preset?" sub forum would help! :wink:

I remember a Music Radar tutorial about a sound in a Calvin Harris song, "Bounce". Calvin Harris laughed about it and said in an interview it wasn't THAT complicated at all - he used a preset, changed some parameters and adjusted some things, he didn't make it all from scratch... :lol:

Then I thought maybe the Music Radar guys & gals are over-complicating their tutorials sometimes...
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I heard in a Moby interview that Moby doesn't really get into making sounds, but just finds the cutoff and filter modulation stuff and tweaks that. I think that was what cemented in my mind that I *had* to master synthesis or die trying :hihi:

Tricky-Loops wrote: Aren't there already enough people who make their own sounds?

:P :hihi:

edit was to change the picture of Walter
Last edited by Hink on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Kriminal wrote:there is a chance that some ppl are actually very new at all this and have very little idea about creating their own sounds...and its very common to want to emulate stuff you like....
This still doesn't excuse basic laziness. When I was a teenager in the 80's, I wanted to make music like the synthpop bands I admired. So I saved up, bought a synth, and taught myself how to program it.

Welcome to the age of the tutorial.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:When I was a teenager in the 80's ...
Did you have to carry it, up hill, both ways? :hihi:
... space is the place ...

lotus2035 wrote: Just maybe they don't need to hear some jaded grumpy c**ts tell them they're no good,
Well, if they're not getting it IRL where are they supposed to hear it? :x
lotus2035 wrote:who knows what damage you might cause to their curiosity and enthusiasm.
If someone is going to lose enthusiasm for music behind getting some guff at KVR, they don't have enough and should do something else. :D

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
Yes, and he also carried it through snowdrifts on the way to school. :D

LimboLoves wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:
Yes, and he also carried it through snowdrifts on the way to school. :D
Damn kids! Get off my lawn! :x
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”