DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

I guess it's all relative. I can see if it's just blank 30 days, and if something happens, you're screwed. For example, I'm using a demo now that has a 30 day trial, but the days are only counted on the time you actually use the program, not a straight line 30 days. This is good because I haven't really played with it yet.

If you don't have time to properly demo a plugin then you probably don't have time to use it........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

30 days should be enough, especially since you can always resell the plugin.. Also maybe a counter that says or conts the days you actually use it would be more logical. Even if you cut the time in have to even two weeks id be happy..
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Teksonik wrote:If you don't have time to properly demo a plugin then you probably don't have time to use it........
That's a good point

30 days is actually a long time. If you really used it every day for 30 days, and even for a couple hours each of those days... :shrug: If you can't decide you want to buy it at that point, its probably not for you.

Teksonik wrote:If you don't have time to properly demo a plugin then you probably don't have time to use it........
+1

That is likely so in some cases... but just because someone does not have time within a specific 30 day period, does not mean that one does not have time beyond that.

Also, one may have time, but varied interests in how to use it... Not that long ago, I happened upon a compelling photography project and was on that for some weeks... Sometimes I go off on journeys... My life is diverse and fairly unplanned (natural chaos :-))

Anyway, 30 days may work fine for you and even for the great majority of people... it does not work well for me... and you and any developer are free to ignore me completely... :hihi:

pdxindy wrote:
That is likely so in some cases... but just because someone does not have time within a specific 30 day period, does not mean that one does not have time beyond that.

Also, one may have time, but varied interests in how to use it... Not that long ago, I happened upon a compelling photography project and was on that for some weeks... Sometimes I go off on journeys... My life is diverse and fairly unplanned (natural chaos :-))

Anyway, 30 days may work fine for you and even for the great majority of people... it does not work well for me... and you and any developer are free to ignore me completely... :hihi:
or you could adapt. if you want to see a movie in the theater, and it's there for 2 more weeks...you get to the theater in that time. if rent is due by the 31st....etc. if you want to demo a synth that has a 30-day trial period, dive in when you can. you adapt to the real world, or accept that you'll be disappointed...a lot. just saying.... 8)

30 days is a reasonable assumption, but not necessarily an accurate period in time as it assumes you will spend every day on it until you make the decision.

Case in point. Even after blocking an appropriate time before installing the demo to utilize the demo period, I've found that 'other things' can suddenly change the plan. Reducing the thirty days to what ends up being a half a day or less.

Since my studio is in a different place than my home, things like the weather blocking the roads or in two cases this year, fire evacuations preventing all access means that the time-sync of these demos is exhausted before any real trial can happen.

I think Synplant had a demo where the time was reduced by when you opened it, and this seems like one of the better ways to go about it. Tone2 does the ten minutes before shut down and that hasn't been a problem either. Diva (and now Bazille) has that intermittent noise that really kills the whole idea, since it also makes it sound like there are other problems in your system.

30 days CAN be enough, if all conditions are perfect and the company has your full attention.
But TBH, conditions are rarely perfect and my attention is conditional.

fisherKing wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

or you could adapt. if you want to see a movie in the theater, and it's there for 2 more weeks...you get to the theater in that time. if rent is due by the 31st....etc. if you want to demo a synth that has a 30-day trial period, dive in when you can. you adapt to the real world, or accept that you'll be disappointed...a lot. just saying.... 8)
If I do not make it to the movie in the next 2 weeks, it will then show up at a cheap theatre not long after... :ud:

pdxindy wrote:
fisherKing wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

If I do not make it to the movie in the next 2 weeks, it will then show up at a cheap theatre not long after... :ud:
unless it's a 3D movie, and your local cheap theater doesn't support that... 8) try telling your landlord the rent will get paid when you get around to it...

What about the limiting functions like patch recall or automation, what if you buy and your daw it is really buggy afterwards? But I don't think this is the case for any synapse products.. but it would make me a little angry if something like this ever happened..
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

pdxindy wrote:

So you're saying you will buy it cheap, even tho you havent had enough time to test it properly to pay full price? :P

fisherKing wrote:try telling your landlord the rent will get paid when you get around to it...
actually, he is very understanding and is fine when I am a week or two late with rent :tu:

pdxindy wrote:
fisherKing wrote:try telling your landlord the rent will get paid when you get around to it...
actually, he is very understanding and is fine when I am a week or two late with rent :tu:
and if we all lived in a universe where that happened...it would be a very different life. most people have to pay rent on time. the bottom line...if something has a 30day limit, that's the deal. deal with it, or get on to the next thing... simple. 8)

Return to “Instruments”