What would make you switch to Linux?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

danboid wrote:I think many would appreciate a viable alternative to Melodyne / AutoTune.
Fons's Zita-at1 is very good, used it recently to correct some dodgy flute intonation. The only drawback is that it is standalone only, no plugin version, but that's no hardship really with the flexibility and ease of use of JACK.
And it is as it is and we take as we find / Always next season's buds on the bough / But I'll never find a better time / Hard though it is to allow / I'll never find a better time / To be alive than now

Following a suggestion earlier in this thread, I've now changed the topic title in hope of getting better quality, more useful responses. Unlikely, I know, but worth a try I thought.

Lost_Highway: I tried at1 but wasn't impressed and I try to avoid having to use session managers personally. I may have liked it more as a plugin.

danboid wrote:Following a suggestion earlier in this thread, I've now changed the topic title in hope of getting better quality, more useful responses. Unlikely, I know, but worth a try I thought.
Answer to current version of the question; for audio, nothing.

An operating system is the platform for the software I want to use. My choice is made on the basis of that software, not the platform underneath. Ive been a Unix programmer and sysadmin, and If I had to build a certain kind of server on a standalone box, eg Git or Apache, I'd probably look at using Linux, but for personal useage, the ecosystem of tools I prefer is Windows based, so I run Windows as the platform.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

danboid wrote:
Hackintosh supports more hardware than Linux? Absolute nonsense! How many wifi chipsets does OSX support? You can count them on one hand and still have digits to spare. Its rare to find a (wifi) network adapter that doesn't work under Linux these days. How many ATI/AMD graphics cards does OSX support? Very, very few indeed.
Well, maybe Linux is better in the wifi support, but for USB audio interfaces and Midi controllers it is not at all. Still, I don't consider it an ideal solution (I'm using windows 8.1 mainly now with everything), but it is much better solution than Linux for me, I repeat for me!
Now, the time I have spent with OS X from installation to getting it working and being "Productive" wasn't long at all because I did my homework and prepared for it. It is not as easy to install, but once you get it running and know which hardware is working fine, you begin to install normally all the hardware that have OS X drivers. No wine, no whiskey, no alcohol required to run any native application. .. and ...

Anyway, I don't want really to try to convince you or to convince anyone else!
If you see Linux is better for you for music production or any other field, then this is what important. Enjoy it ;-)

whyterabbyt wrote: Answer to current version of the question; for audio, nothing.

An operating system is the platform for the software I want to use. My choice is made on the basis of that software, not the platform underneath. Ive been a Unix programmer and sysadmin, and If I had to build a certain kind of server on a standalone box, eg Git or Apache, I'd probably look at using Linux, but for personal useage, the ecosystem of tools I prefer is Windows based, so I run Windows as the platform.
And for the same reason my answer (to the newly formed question) would be nothing as well.

I use OSX for many reasons, one being Logic but mainly because of the general feel, workflow and toolset of the platform. So there not one thing that would be able to change that. Hell, I can't even switch browser (Firefox) so Linux stands little to no chance for me.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I would need Driver Support for UAD and Sonic Core *or* the ability to have virtualised OSes load their own drivers.

As much as I use Linux (and have since the earliest kernel releases), I can't use it as my main desktop as some hardware just doesn't have support. It's not a Linux problem per-se, but I'm not going to limit the hardware I can use just to stick with one OS.

I would *love* this situation to change, but as (a) I am not in a position to fix the drivers and (b) the respective companies have no intention of doing so, I suspect I will stick with Windows / OSX until the hardware fails.

There could be a workaround using VSL Ensemble Pro, or if Bitwig introduced remote VST in a similar way (would be good) that would allow me to slave everything to a main linux host, but until that's a suitable answer, it's no go.

We tried Ubuntu on my friend's dying laptop and I was pleasantly surprised. The wireless internet drivers worked out of the box and everything. If only wine were better...

Has playonlinux gotten any better?

They have FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 9, and Guitar Rig listed as working. Would vsts work inside the daws though?!

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/supported_apps-5-0.html

The Guitar Rig works within reaper, and as a standalone,
could hold true for other vst hosts that works well enough in wine.
Cheers

camsr wrote:Comparing bitwig to reaper is just wrong. They are two different fruit. :hihi:
But both are suite 8)

being held at gunpoint. but to be fair, linux doesn't have anything going for it in the daw world. even linux faces competition from other linux distros wtf kind of shit is that? its like me trying to pick up a women at a bar when all the male competition are clones of myself. im not going to get anywhere.

if shuttleworth wants to create a worthy contender to osx then they need to get their linux shit together. how well do you think microsoft or apple would do if they faced direct competition from themselves and their user base. exactly. they lack the funding, and they lack organization. the moment they can all distros, and just focus on linux as as a single os that will be the day they succeed as apple did. which will be never.

and in terms of android, google is not taken it seriously when it comes to daw audio latency because, they don't care and developers like singlecell/caustic are small little fish. that said, its said but the developer of caustic himself doesn't see a future from his incredible reason destroying/replacing daw. its sad, because caustic is baddass. but if the developer doesn't take it seriously then neither do i. on linux/android theirs audiotool buts its not downloadable and again, the developers refuse to port audio tool so it has no future and will always be a toy. adapt or die.
Last edited by AstralExistence on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

xamido wrote:Cause linux is a stinking pile of poo for people who's not serious about music but wanna be known as audio hipster.

Name me one mainstream artist that does everything in linux? Recording, arranging, mixing, and mastering.

It's not a serious OS for audio, it's a toy for hipster.
Typical elitist definition of serious. If music isn't released with videos
of twerkchics, gangstas, or thrashing drug addled maniacs,
it's irrelevant. :roll:

glokraw wrote:
xamido wrote:Cause linux is a stinking pile of poo for people who's not serious about music but wanna be known as audio hipster.

Name me one mainstream artist that does everything in linux? Recording, arranging, mixing, and mastering.
windows and osx do everything much much better. sorry but linux is crappy poo lol. its an os built on empty dreams, empty promises, and an empty bank :dog:

danboid wrote: What do I think Linux is missing, audio software wise? I'd like to see more quality instrument / synth plugins, some good noise reduction plugins and I think many would appreciate a viable alternative to Melodyne / AutoTune.
I'd like to see all 12 audio distro maintainers settle on
the same jackd version, and it keep it that way. Have Paul Davis
officiate the coin toss, :wink: and maintain the unified code
with an iron fist. With free tazer injections for any distro maintainer
that breaks rank.

It would be nice if qjackctl were extended to display multiple
alsa_in alsa_out options, so that selecting them would launch
pre-configured command lines, and that multiple jackd
command lines, could be listed in a drop-down selector.

It would be nice if one package manager, perhaps synaptic,
would be available, in all 12 audio distros.

Such things would make life a bit easier for musicians.
Cheers

AstralExistence wrote:
glokraw wrote:

windows and osx do everything much much better. sorry but linux is crappy poo lol. its an os built on empty dreams, empty promises, and an empty bank :dog:
The Hollywood view! In reality, it's the backbone of the internet,
dominates the cellphone market, has a solid presence in
the embedded market, is used by some movie producers
for heavy 3D productions, and is doing well among people
who can't afford expensive software/computers. Audio production
is getting better, as is 3D gaming. And the kernel itself has
improved a lot since 2012, Reaper is as solid as ever,
and sensible deployment of wine, is highly vst compatible.
I'm very happy with the progress.
Cheers

AstralExistence wrote:being held at gunpoint. but to be fair, linux doesn't have anything going for it in the daw world. even linux faces competition from other linux distros wtf kind of shit is that? its like me trying to pick up a women at a bar when all the male competition are clones of myself. im not going to get anywhere.

if shuttleworth wants to create a worthy contender to osx then they need to get their linux shit together. how well do you think microsoft or apple would do if they faced direct competition from themselves and their user base. exactly. they lack the funding, and they lack organization. the moment they can all distros, and just focus on linux as as a single os that will be the day they succeed as apple did. which will be never.

and in terms of android, google is not taken it seriously when it comes to daw audio latency because, they don't care and developers like singlecell/caustic are small little fish. that said, its said but the developer of caustic himself doesn't see a future from his incredible reason destroying/replacing daw. its sad, because caustic is baddass. but if the developer doesn't take it seriously then neither do i. on linux/android theirs audiotool buts its not downloadable and again, the developers refuse to port audio tool so it has no future and will always be a toy. adapt or die.
Being held at gunpoint! :D You'd need to do that to get me to use Windows outside of work so I can relate to that sentiment! :)

The 'too many distros' argument is very tired and invalid. Whilst in some ways it would be good if there was just one (or two) versions of Linux that everyone focused on, we all know thats not going to happen and you need to realise this is also one of Linux's strengths. Linux is a classic case of longevity through diversity. Look at Windows. Its essentially got two versions - desktop and server. If you don't like either or they're not doing what you need - tough luck! You either use an older, potentially unsupported version or you are forced to switch OS. Its not like under Linux where we have a range of popular distros (RHEL/Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, suse, Arch and Gentoo being the main camps these days) and then various desktops on top of those to choose from.

They're not incompatible either. Yes, just like under Windows and OSX you can't run 64-bit binaries on 32-bit but as long as the app you want is compiled for your CPU architecture, it will usually run just fine - regardless of how its packaged. There are many distros but really only two 'platform specific' package formats - .deb and .rpm and tools exist to convert between the two. Then you have tarballs and zips which are distro neutral. Valves Steam has proved commercial apps can be ported to Linux, distributed easily and run on various distros.

As for the range of desktops, they are fundamentally unified and interoperable because they all adhere to the freedesktop.org standards. They all use Qt or GTK which can be made to look like one another if the users wishes.

The only valid complaints I'm hearing are that not all hardware manufacturers are releasing Linux drivers and most software companies aren't supporting Linux - yet. This there is no denying but as Linux steadily improves, this is sure to change.
Last edited by danboid on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”