Caustic 3.1 released (iOS + Android + PC)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think he means a PC platform like Windows instead of mobile like iOS or Android.

AstralExistence wrote:why can't we use low latency with this? why is the developer so anti os. this app needs to be brought to the os world. nuff said. or else it will remain a toy. everything is huge on the screen. this is all i hear with every update. "i wish that this worked with..." well i guess we shit in the other hand. reason and orion are/were really fun daws. this is quickly turning into the next reaper. more and more features being tacked on without addressing the underlining cause that is, caustic on windows where it would be most welcome. but the developer is free to develop on any platform of his choosing.
Rej doesn't put too much effort into the windows version because IT'S FREE AS IN FREE BEER and his revenue on this is quite limited, isn't it.

btw is working with Asio4all over here!

The developer is dedicated to develop Caustic for mobile platforms and included a PC version about a year and a half ago as an extra.
So it is weird to start to compare it with DAW's on a desktop.
It is a wonderful application for Mobile devices and he never had any plans to start to compete with any full blown DAW's.
Having said that it is capable of the same results as a full blown desktop DAW if you do not need to record full Audio tracks.
It is one of the simplest but with the most possibilities/flexibility that you can get.

It feels very sad to read unjustified critique of a very solid and well thought out application that just one guy is developing...
And after version 3 personally there is nothing else but admiration.
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

Doesn't work on iOS 8 :(

You should let the developer know...
Either at the forum:
http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/forum
or at:
http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/contact

He is very responsive.
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

well, i letting him know here ;)

AstralExistence wrote:why can't we use low latency with this?
Sorry, what platform were you testing it on?
It was first developed for Android, and the developer of Caustic went in great length to overcome the architectural weakness in Android that it has no true low-latency access at all.
AstralExistence wrote:everything is huge on the screen.
It was designed for Android phones with a screen diameter of just 4". I use it on a BlackBerry Playbook tablet with a 7" screen (about the same size as a DVD case or the iPad mini) and the screen size is fine. If you use it full screen on a 27" Mac, then yes it's blown out of proportion.

You ought to look at it from the perspective that this is something inbetween a proper DAW (which it is not) and a toy to keep you busy on the road. Use it for fun noodling, drawing sketches. Then the bonus is you can use the same projects on PC for proper rendering.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:why can't we use low latency with this?
Sorry, what platform were you testing it on?
It was first developed for Android, and the developer of Caustic went in great length to overcome the architectural weakness in Android that it has no true low-latency access at all.
AstralExistence wrote:everything is huge on the screen.
It was designed for Android phones with a screen diameter of just 4". I use it on a BlackBerry Playbook tablet with a 7" screen (about the same size as a DVD case or the iPad mini) and the screen size is fine. If you use it full screen on a 27" Mac, then yes it's blown out of proportion.

You ought to look at it from the perspective that this is something inbetween a proper DAW (which it is not) and a toy to keep you busy on the road. Use it for fun noodling, drawing sketches. Then the bonus is you can use the same projects on PC for proper rendering.
Leslie wrote:well, i letting him know here ;)
His profile here shows he visited KVR in December 2013. So better get in touch directly, he doesn't watch the KVR forum actively for Caustic topics.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

"His" profile shows that he was a member of these forums way before you have existed ;)

Leslie wrote:"His" profile shows that he was a member of these forums way before you have existed ;)
:uhuhuh: that's a lie.
I was here before you, and SingleCell joined much MUCH later :-P
KVR Member Profile for SingleCell wrote:Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 07:26
Last visited: Sat Dec 21, 2013 23:08
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

I feel sorry for you

The word is that the new Google "L" update could fix the latency issue for Android devices.... My Galaxy Nexus phone enjoys a very low latency, and is one of few devices that do that "naturally" It's coming, and will make MIDI gear rock for live play or recording for sure

EIPStudiosOhio wrote:The word is that the new Google "L" update could fix the latency issue for Android devices.... My Galaxy Nexus phone enjoys a very low latency, and is one of few devices that do that "naturally" It's coming, and will make MIDI gear rock for live play or recording for sure
I tried the developer preview version of L on my Nexus 7. Apps have to be rewritten to take advantage. I noticed no difference in latency with caustic and FL. Of course the developer release is a Beta. Its not worth trying at the moment. about 70% of apps worked ok. L takes more RAM.

In kitkat 4.4.4, if you enable developer mode, you can switch to ART to try a new performance mode thats used in L. If you switch to ART, be aware that its experimental and may mess up your apps. YMMV. I switched back to Kitkat due to some apps not working attall.

Caustic is one of the chief reasons why I look forward to the Nexus 9 and Android L.

It's kind of ironic. I own half a dozen of "large" DAWs, a stack of commercial soft synths, audio hardware ... and the thing I seem to be most musically productive with is my Nexus 7 (with Caustic, FLS Mobile, and Sunvox). (I think it's part simplicity, and part enjoying to get away from regular computers/laptops.)

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”