there seems to be no money made in music nowadays.

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

which is why im wondering why we still write it. every person is now a musician or artist of some kind in a sea of mediocrity theirs sound cloud. for actual art like graphic work theirs deviant art. every artist wants to be renown and for those that have spent many years honing their craft they remain for the most part obscure.

its a sad reality. but only those who create art for pure enjoyment will continue to create beautiful music that is never heard, or pretty paintings that are left unseen. but those who only want to write and paint because they yearn for escape from an impoverished reality will find that they too quickly f-a-d-e away...
Last edited by AstralExistence on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

double post.

There is exponentially more noise, that much is certain. It is also true to say: there is less opportunity to be heard, or found through the constant barrage of incessant noise (aka "music"). Most people can already acknowledge it is the end of an era. I guess we still create music because it's what we do and we need it for some reason. But the outcome, or end goal, should not be a concern for most. For those who manage to eek out a living, or find some level of success making music, I give my greatest respect; it's damn hard these days!

Making music has almost become as easy as taking photos with your smartphone; therefore, everyone with the slightest interest in it is doing it. Once something becomes that accessible and easy to create, it loses most of its value. I would hate the thought of trying to be a "serious musician" right now. Even local orchestras and true classical musicians are struggling. It's the price of technology I guess :shrug:

Now, what amazes me is that companies are still selling samples of recorded sounds for hundreds of dollars. Are ppl really still paying hundreds, or even thousands of dollars for samples to support something that makes almost no money? I guess so! I certainly don't do it anymore. I have a hard time paying more than a hundred bucks for anything these days; but maybe I'm missing something :?

:dog:

If you're only creating 'art' for money, you should look to just get a 'proper' job. Why should you be different from all those hard working individuals who go to work every day and don't rely on copyright or repeat sales to bring in money as if it was earned ?

If you strongly believe people should give you money, the answer is the same as for everyone else - *YOU* go out there and persuade them. Marketing is something that was (and still is largely) done by record companies and publishers and all we used to hear was "there seems to be no easy way to get signed to a record company nowadays". The answer then was the same - go out and *MAKE IT HAPPEN*.

If you think you can just put your music on a few sites, and have people magically find you and raise you up on that altar, you're living in a dreamworld.

There are millions of people making a living from music or painting or writing etc... They're just not sitting around waiting for the world to come to them.

Pre-Internet, would you just put your music on tapes on a table outside your house and hope you became famous ?

What you call 'noise' is what the rest of the working world would call 'competition'. If you consider this your income, you need to damn well work for it - that doesn't just mean writing pretty tunes.

There is an audience for everyone - for every type of music. YOU have to find it though, or pay someone else to do it for you. Don't rely on being the 'one-in-a-billion' lucky find.

Keep making your music - don't stop. Just find your audience instead of waiting for them to find you.

-- Here ends your motivational speech for the day :D

AstralExistence wrote:which is why im wondering why we still write it. every person is now a musician or artist of some kind in a sea of mediocrity theirs sound cloud. for actual art like graphic work theirs deviant art. every artist wants to be renown and for those that have spent many years honing their craft they remain for the most part obscure.

its a sad reality. but only those who create art for pure enjoyment will continue to create beautiful music that is never heard, or pretty paintings that are left unseen. but those who only want to write and paint because they yearn for escape from an impoverished reality will find that they too quickly f-a-d-e away...
Ever heard of these guys:

John Robie
Chep Nunez
Chris Barbosa
Aldo Marin

probably not, seemingly unimportant obscure people.

blueman wrote:Now, what amazes me is that companies are still selling samples of recorded sounds for hundreds of dollars. Are ppl really still paying hundreds, or even thousands of dollars for samples to support something that makes almost no money? I guess so! I certainly don't do it anymore. I have a hard time paying more than a hundred bucks for anything these days; but maybe I'm missing something :?
That is because so many people are doing it that there is more money in selling the tools, also as my mate said who is giving up his full time music career that the shift has gone to people just streaming music now when they want to hear it - rather than buy it.

Personally I still support and buy music new music I like, but it is harder to find now because of 'the noise', and stupid genre titles/labeling in digital download shops.

koalaboy wrote: :dog:

If you're only creating 'art' for money, you should look to just get a 'proper' job. Why should you be different from all those hard working individuals who go to work every day and don't rely on copyright or repeat sales to bring in money as if it was earned ?

If you strongly believe people should give you money, the answer is the same as for everyone else - *YOU* go out there and persuade them. Marketing is something that was (and still is largely) done by record companies and publishers and all we used to hear was "there seems to be no easy way to get signed to a record company nowadays". The answer then was the same - go out and *MAKE IT HAPPEN*.

If you think you can just put your music on a few sites, and have people magically find you and raise you up on that altar, you're living in a dreamworld.

There are millions of people making a living from music or painting or writing etc... They're just not sitting around waiting for the world to come to them.

Pre-Internet, would you just put your music on tapes on a table outside your house and hope you became famous ?

What you call 'noise' is what the rest of the working world would call 'competition'. If you consider this your income, you need to damn well work for it - that doesn't just mean writing pretty tunes.

There is an audience for everyone - for every type of music. YOU have to find it though, or pay someone else to do it for you. Don't rely on being the 'one-in-a-billion' lucky find.

Keep making your music - don't stop. Just find your audience instead of waiting for them to find you.

-- Here ends your motivational speech for the day :D
... you have their permission to breed.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I do it to make women think I'm less old and boring than I actually am. Works great.

Look up Banksy and rethink your post and concept of what a true artist is.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Music is barely worth a penny anymore. You can hear it anywhere for free ( Radio, TVs, even shops, supermarket) and most people will DL the rest ( Young people are not even aware that they are ^p_rating anything ) There are a few *stars* left who need wordlwide promo plans and support from McDonald and medias to make us believe that you can still become a rockstar like in the 70s. Most people probably need more dreaming about star system than actually playing or learning music anyway. And its allright like that.

As or the tools, you dont need to be Djokovic to buy a tennis racket and rent a tennis court for a couple of hours. Music can just be a hobby for most people. As are sports, painting, reading, etc etc.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

AstralExistence wrote:which is why im wondering why we still write it.
The very obvious answer (which I'm sure you already know) is that not everyone writes music to make money.
AstralExistence wrote:every person is now a musician or artist of some kind in a sea of mediocrity theirs sound cloud. for actual art like graphic work theirs deviant art. every artist wants to be renown and for those that have spent many years honing their craft they remain for the most part obscure. its a sad reality. but only those who create art for pure enjoyment will continue to create beautiful music that is never heard, or pretty paintings that are left unseen. but those who only want to write and paint because they yearn for escape from an impoverished reality will find that they too quickly f-a-d-e away...
There are plenty of pieces of music that were created entirely within the evil cash cow of shameless commercial music that are still very beautiful. Cynical generalisation is your worst enemy. It will prevent you from enjoying a lot. I'm guilty of it sometimes too...
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Lotuzia wrote:( Young people are not even aware that they are ^p_rating anything )
oh come on, of course they are. they just don't care.

macmurphy wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:( Young people are not even aware that they are ^p_rating anything )
oh come on, of course they are. they just don't care.
Hmmm I should have written "some young people"
Well some friends of my children aren't at least : I can certify this because I spoke with them about these *problems*. 12/14 yo kids just do what their friends are doing. Speaking with them can help ( in a few cases admitedly :oops: )

Another example, last week, one of the children of my wife gave her a link to what he thought was a legitimate streaming site where she would watch some series she had missed. Turns out it is a site where people just UL their movies etc etc. But they both really thought it was legit.... because you know you did not download the movies ... you just watched them. :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

AstralExistence wrote:which is why im wondering why we still write it.
Well, presumably for the same reason that most of the people who didnt make money at it still bothered to do so at that hypothetical point in time where there was money to be made at it.

Your question reads like you think people only suddenly started making music with the invention of the record shop.
every person is now a musician or artist of some kind in a sea of mediocrity theirs sound cloud. for actual art like graphic work theirs deviant art.
Yup. Isnt it great? All those people actively engaging their creativity, instead of dully accepting some sort of notion that they have no right to do so.
every artist wants to be renown
Comments like that only come from someone with an inadequate personal knowledge of artists.
and for those that have spent many years honing their craft they remain for the most part obscure.
Some do and some dont. Its not a correlation, its a bell-curve.
its a sad reality.
why?
but only those who create art for pure enjoyment will continue to create beautiful music that is never heard, or pretty paintings that are left unseen.
but those who only want to write and paint because they yearn for escape from an impoverished reality will find that they too quickly f-a-d-e away...
Im sure this is probably intended to be profound, but its actually quite nonsensical, and, seems based on a pretty coarse generalisation of what real people do, and why they do it.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

if I didn't make music occasionally I would probably off myself. so I don't really give a shit if anyone listens or pays me.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”