What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

What would make you switch to Linux?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

ras.s
KVRian
 
826 posts since 2 Dec, 2008, from Finland

Postby ras.s; Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:17 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

Ghettosynth, come on now. That comment isn't so much about old programmers as it is about old end-users. Atleast that's how I read it -- you just keep cutting out the sentence just before that one ("Microsoft and Apple helped the world to get familiar with computers as home devices for personal everyday use. For the older generations (50 years on up?), there just isn't the mental flexability and drive to learn how to use the command line, or how to make an app."). And it's true.

Try telling your granny to mount that DVD, then rip it, lace it with subtitles one can get from the web and then display that video file on the framebuffer console.

Or just put in the DVD, select the language from the screen and push play.

Obviously GNU/Linux can do both.
User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
 
21127 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:21 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

briandc wrote:The older people ask less questions.


But not significantly lower. Its the difference between averaging 12 and averaging 18.
And you're ignoring the point that they're asking fewer questions of their peers. That's not an indicator of anything other than their reliance on other members of that community. So, in that context, this statement:
Asking questions is central to innovation and creativity.


is disingenuously conflating two completely different contexts for what a person might be questioning, and the nature of those questions. Asking technical questions of one peers is not 'central to innovation and creativity' and in no way informs the kind of 'questions' that might be central.
One would hazard that relying on one's more experienced peers for answers is actually a negative factor in innovation and creativity.

I'm not talking about today. I'm talking about tomorrow. I'm looking at what's ahead, not what we have at this moment.


Just so you know, claiming that your speculations are fact does not make them so.


brian[/quote]
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
Arglebargle
KVRAF
 
2988 posts since 18 Oct, 2004

Postby Arglebargle; Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:27 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

What would make me switch to Linux? Support for all the software I use as good or better than Windows, and then some additional reason to make me leave Windows in favor of Linux.
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
3832 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:47 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

Arglebargle wrote:What would make me switch to Linux? Support for all the software I use as good or better than Windows, and then some additional reason to make me leave Windows in favor of Linux.


This would be the "normal" response I think. The expectation that people will switch without having a compelling reason to do so, and ideology isn't compelling for most people, is naive.
glokraw
KVRAF
 
5038 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Postby glokraw; Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:28 pm Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

whyterabbyt wrote:I love the assertion that the generation that grew up with only the command-line available will have issues learning to use the command-line.
And that a generation who cant do complex multiplication without an iPhone handy are going to save us from teh capitalism.
:clap:
Bullseye ! 8) The school-board collective here gets more tax money
every year, with only higher dropout rates, and lower test scores,
to show for it. :( But the lawns are green.
glokraw
KVRAF
 
5038 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Postby glokraw; Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:58 pm Re: What stops you switching to Linux?

xamido wrote:
glokraw wrote:
xamido wrote:Cause linux is a stinking pile of poo for people who's not serious about music but wanna be known as audio hipster.

Name me one mainstream artist that does everything in linux? Recording, arranging, mixing, and mastering.

It's not a serious OS for audio, it's a toy for hipster.

Typical elitist definition of serious. If music isn't released with videos
of twerkchics, gangstas, or thrashing drug addled maniacs,
it's irrelevant. :roll:


Mainstream does not mean that stereotype of yours, you're shallow. Mainstream are people who actually make music and is listened by a lot of people in the world.

Audio hipster are people who thought their music is cool and is only listened by a bunch of people in his small community.

Do you think if george martin have to do stuff ITB and is given a choice to do his stuff on linux, windows or macOs he will choose linux? Audio and music professional does not use linux.

I've never heard of George Martin... :neutral:
The music software industry would shrink, if not vanish,
if it were built only on sales to 'stars', and top level studio professionals,
As would sales of pianos, if only sales to
concert pianists were possible.

The linux audio situation is not static, it' better than last year,
and will be better next year. The mainstream industry audio quality itself is at the point of diminishing returns, with some work
being done in ranges that can't be heard by most people.
So the poor deranged linux musician, or coder, can still create
wonderful things, if willing to work, and

To quote the ringless Allen Iverson,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29VsG35DQM
glokraw
KVRAF
 
5038 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Postby glokraw; Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:34 pm Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

briandc wrote:There is, of course, the capitalist element that keeps companies in bed with Microsoft and Apple, but that will eventually die out.


http://fortune.com/2013/05/06/how-linux ... rtune-500/

The capitalist element allows people to innovate, excel, produce,
partner, incorporate, sell, and profit, from their life energy,
and if the competitors do it better, one might even fail,
miserably. Repeatedly. So you start over, learn, and move forward.
And practice :hihi:

I don't expect capitalist businesses to turn over their assets,
just because some linux folks clamour for freebies. Linux people
need to have, and present business plans, just like anyone else,
if they want to do business. It's been slow and difficult gaining respect,
without much hope of things getting easier.
The multi-fractured developer community, insures that.
There is no guarantee in business, that freedom without leadership,
will be successful.
Cheers
briandc
KVRist
 
250 posts since 25 Jun, 2012, from Italy

Postby briandc; Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 pm Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

whyterabbyt wrote:
briandc wrote:The older people ask less questions.


But not significantly lower. Its the difference between averaging 12 and averaging 18.
And you're ignoring the point that they're asking fewer questions of their peers. That's not an indicator of anything other than their reliance on other members of that community. So, in that context, this statement:
Asking questions is central to innovation and creativity.


is disingenuously conflating two completely different contexts for what a person might be questioning, and the nature of those questions. Asking technical questions of one peers is not 'central to innovation and creativity' and in no way informs the kind of 'questions' that might be central.
One would hazard that relying on one's more experienced peers for answers is actually a negative factor in innovation and creativity.

I'm not talking about today. I'm talking about tomorrow. I'm looking at what's ahead, not what we have at this moment.


Just so you know, claiming that your speculations are fact does not make them so.


brian
[/quote]

Certainly, there are different types of questions. And it would seem normal to me that young people would have more to learn when they start their profession than those who have been working in the field for a long period of time. My point is that we are just starting out in computer technology. In perspective, that is. Things are changing very quickly, and linux/gnu gives people all the tools they need to do whatever they want. Closed-source software may have some advantages, but it isn't what is needed to allow ALL people to be able to improve the world of computing. As the saying goes, "give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for life."

It might be speculation to you. To me, there's little speculation in the idea that young people are our future. Linux/gnu holds a future wide open with possibility. Corporate-run closed-source structure does not.


brian
Take control of your PC: use Linux!
amSynth demos on Soundcloud
amSynth.com
Ciberithm
KVRist
 
169 posts since 6 Apr, 2011

Postby Ciberithm; Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:52 pm Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

whyterabbyt wrote:I love the assertion that the generation that grew up with only the command-line available will have issues learning to use the command-line.
And that a generation who cant do complex multiplication without an iPhone handy are going to save us from teh capitalism.

+1

What would it take for me to switch to Linux? I just push a button on my KVM switch. And I'm 55. :D
User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
 
21127 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:36 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

briandc wrote:Certainly, there are different types of questions. And it would seem normal to me that young people would have more to learn when they start their profession than those who have been working in the field for a long period of time. My point is that we are just starting out in computer technology.


No, your point, there, when you started talking about that, was that you were conflating people asking questions with creativity. Stop trying to shift the goalposts.

In perspective, that is. Things are changing very quickly, and linux/gnu gives people all the tools they need to do whatever they want.


Except where it doesnt, of course. Just like any other platform.

Closed-source software may have some advantages, but it isn't what is needed to allow ALL people to be able to improve the world of computing.


Neither is Linux. For 'ALL' people to be able to 'improve the world of computing' then they'd need a requisite skillset that isnt actually in any way defined by a choice of operating system.

As the saying goes, "give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for life."


Yes, that's the saying. It doesnt have much relevance to your argument in favour of a particular type of rod, though.
or that 'young people' with judicious use of the 'right' type of rod will inherently redefine fishing.

It might be speculation to you. To me, there's little speculation in the idea that young people are our future.


Please stop moving your goalposts. The speculation wasnt predicated on 'young people' it was predicated on the spread of gnu/linux. And the result predicted wasnt 'they're the the future' it was 'the fall of capitalist computer companies'.

Your speculation was not 'young people are our future'. your speculation was
"as gnu/linux becomes more widespread, these young people will be the ones to use their talent and make new and wonderful things with computers"

For the record, GNU/Linux isnt what's noticably spreading. 'Pure' Linux via Android is. And that's something that's quite firmly engendered through the capitalist computer companies you claimed Linux is going to help overthrow.

Linux/gnu holds a future wide open with possibility. Corporate-run closed-source structure does not.


Your naivete is touching but the eager zealotry of the recently-converted is not. For the record you are saying nothing which I have not heard over and over again from people just like you for the past two decades, and as a prediction it actually gets less compelling as its failure to come to fruition proceeds. Perhaps when you're more experienced you'll learn that the right tool is the one that gets the job done, not the one that happens to be your favourite, and that no one size fits all.
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
 
21127 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:38 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

deleted this : hit 'quote' instead of 'edit' and didnt notice.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
User avatar
spaceman
KVRAF
 
8202 posts since 9 Jan, 2004, from leroyaumeuni

Postby spaceman; Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:56 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

You're living in a dream world if you think that anything other than big business is behind the world-wide spread and adaptation of a technology, no matter what the license type might be.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth
User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
 
21127 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:21 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

spaceman wrote:You're living in a dream world if you think that anything other than big business is behind the world-wide spread and adaptation of a technology, no matter what the license type might be.


I'd like to see how this Future Linux Utopia comes to pass. It'll be interesting to see how it fares without the capitalist businesses employing the Linux zealots, and no capitalist internet infrastructure for them to proselytise it on.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
Lotuzia
KVRAF
 
7270 posts since 19 Feb, 2004, from Paris

Postby Lotuzia; Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:13 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

Short answer ; Nothing

Long Answer : Nothing. I'm as happy as I could be with my Windoze PCs.

If one's happy with Linux too, then the world is fine
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Soundbanks for Vsti

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there [Xils-Lab Team]
User avatar
spaceman
KVRAF
 
8202 posts since 9 Jan, 2004, from leroyaumeuni

Postby spaceman; Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:24 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

whyterabbyt wrote:
spaceman wrote:You're living in a dream world if you think that anything other than big business is behind the world-wide spread and adaptation of a technology, no matter what the license type might be.


I'd like to see how this Future Linux Utopia comes to pass. It'll be interesting to see how it fares without the capitalist businesses employing the Linux zealots, and no capitalist internet infrastructure for them to proselytise it on.

Laser guided messaging pigeons.
Ah shit.. laser network :dog:
My other host is Bruce Forsyth
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)