EDIT 6/13/2014: Reposted mix with extra kick/snare/cymbal hits removed (2nd verse, outro)...
EDIT 6/14/2014: Fixed file names... sorry! (thanks photonic)
RAR'd WAV (44.1k/32fp, 41/51MB):http://www.hepcat.biz/kvr/NineOfKings-Doubtfully_Optimistic-KVR_MC01-kbaccki.rar
I gave myself a little extra headroom so as to avoid the wrath of the Compmeister General. Also, I think the bass in the verse is a tad heavy, depending on where you're listening, but no more time for polishing my little audio turd
... Have some work to do at the mo', but I'll reserve a space at the bottom to add some detail from a few notes I kept. Off the top of my head, overall approach was as follows:
1.) I really like the overall vibe of the song, and didn't want to do anything crazy in terms of structural edits. Two exceptions to this: a.) I felt the 2nd verse needed some drums to keep things moving forward, but a lighter type of drum sound than the chorus, b.) I felt the second section's halftime snare feel (from the source) was really good, but called for some kick and cymbal splashes.
2.) My general approach to "the sound" was as follows: try to get a very upfront lead vocal, with a bit of dirt; a grungy kinda bass sound for the verse; a deep growly bass for the chorus; add a bit of fuzz and punch to the verse guitar but otherwise keep it simple; try to get a dirty and wide guitar sound for the verse to sit below the vocals; figure out how to really highlight the excellent background harmonies; figure out how to sonically fill out the outro a bit...
3.) So I bought the P&M plugin bundle a few days ago… and I wanted to put it through it's paces, get to know the what and how of those little guys… every plugin in the mix is from the P&M bundle, except for PSP meter + DR meter on the master. Everything done in reaper, except for some source file edits in sound forge.
4.) All sounds in the mix are from the source tracks. No external sounds were used, and a small amount of chopping and channelling was performed -- particularly snagging kick, snare, and crash samples, arranging those in the verse and outro… the source crash cymbal was very throaty and also truncated, so I had to enhance it with some EQ and used reverb for fake resonance.
5.) I spent a total of about, oh, 8 hours on the mix. I'd say it breaks down approximately as follows:
* 1-1.5 hours of prep and audio file fixing -- removing clicks in the kick and snare tracks, splitting stereo tracks to dual mono, figuring out and resolving various phase issues in certain source tracks, think time to determine what sounds I want where, etc.
* 3 hours of playing around and tweaking plugins and params, learning how they work, trying combinations
* 3-4 hours of mixing, including fine tuning of plugin settings, the usual balancing stuff, adding some volume/pan/etc. automation
6.) Try to pay attention to mono compatibility, though with a dense mix that's a challenge for me… mono is always a work in progress for me, as I don't have anybody actually paying me to get it done and done correctly…
------------------------------- THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR MORE DETAIL -------------------------------
Last edited by kbaccki on Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:20 am, edited 3 times in total.