Traveling with or Mailing External HD

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm returning to Canada soon, have people had any issues with immigration carrying sample libraries on a slim external HD? I have also considered mailing it via UPS, but wanted to get clear info about this. Yes I do have some libraries that I have downloaded, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between ones I have bought though. I will use a 1-2 TB slim external, and it will be fully loaded. Thanks

Any folks with experience traveling on a plane though customs with an external HD full of samples?

Yes, multiple times. What kind of problems are you anticipating? Can't think of any reason at all this would be a problem.
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

I wasn't sure if I could have it confiscated, erased, or be fined, due to the fact that some of the libraries are downloaded/copies.

I'm not sure I get the distinction you are making between downloaded / copies vs bought... unless your talking about stolen content. Anyway, I've never heard of anyone having their data checked at an airport, either their computer or external storage. Can't imagine how long it would take to get thru customs if they did this as standard practice. And even if they did, how would they be able to tell anything about where your files came from? The only reason i can imagine they'd be interested in looking at your data is if your name shows up on a list of people suspected of illegal activity.
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

thanks, good to hear.

I recently read a New York Times article about touring musicians without work permits being denied entry to Canada and having the contents of all their electronic devices searched (driving not flying). Customs found their tour itineraries on line -- it was a really creepy Big Brother kind of situation, the underbelly of data 'everywhere'.

I've driven into Canada with instruments several times and other than routine vehicle searches, was never really hassled.

So you don't want it stolen off you?

Oh the irony.

:idiot:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I have travelled in and out of Canada with a laptop hardrive, bare hard-drives, hard-drives in external cases, USB sticks, and DVD-Rs with samples and all manner of other stuff. Not once has there been the slightest issue or has anyone ever asked me about let alone looked at the contents of any of them.

I would travel with the drive rather than mailing it (unless you trust yourself less than Canada post and the post office of wherever you are mailing it from). Safest is probably carry-on (I assume you're flying), but I've had hard-drives in checked luggage without issues too.

Thanks, yes flying.

Thomas_Pynchon wrote:I have also considered mailing it via UPS
If you are afraid of customs, I don't think UPS will avoid that either. When shipping something with them, you will need to state what that package contains.

Much easier to slip a portable HDD in your carry on baggage when flying.

I think customs & immigration really don't care what's on your hard drive. They do, however, care about whether you're going to earn any money while in the country. So, if you have a legit job and/or some other legit reason to enter the country (ie. visit family or even just be a tourist), you're very unlikely to get hassled. If they think you're going to play gigs and you don't have the relevant work permits, then they will hassle you and start going through your stuff looking for reasons to detain you. If, for example, you have a string of gigs advertised all over the internet, but you *don't* have whatever paperwork is required to play such gigs, then you may get into trouble

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”