What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Ohmicide vs. Maul

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Caine123
KVRAF

2649 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Postby Caine123; Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:19 am Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

Aubrey Lamont wrote:Have you tried Devastor? Sounds great on drums.

it's with ilok i think? if yes i dont use ilok.
loungepanda
KVRist

77 posts since 27 Apr, 2013

Postby loungepanda; Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:39 am Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

Caine123 wrote:it's with ilok i think? if yes i dont use ilok.

D16 plugins don't use iLok
masterhiggins
KVRian

522 posts since 30 Dec, 2004

Postby masterhiggins; Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:45 am Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

Tried ohmicide last night. The GUI is horrendous and imho as far as the distortion algorithms go I wasn't too impressed. I uninstalled it this morning, mainly because I couldn't bear to look at it anymore.

-Sam
V-GER
KVRian

546 posts since 2 Oct, 2011

Postby V-GER; Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:18 am Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

DJMashbot wrote:
dmbaer wrote:I downloaded a trial of Ohmicide. Great sounding but one of the worst user interfaces I've ever seen (just my opinion, of course). FXpansion has great UIs. I've never tried Ohmicide, but Etch is brilliant in that department. If I didn't already have Saturn, I'd be all over the current sale price of $50 USD for Maul.

Where is it $50? I didn't see it on sale at the fxpansion site.

The sale isn't on their own site, it's only on Pluginboutique and just for the weekend or possibly til monday.
pluginboutique.com wrote:We've teamed up with Fxpansion for this weeks exclusive Flash Weekend Sale. Save 50% off on their award winning distortion unit Maul!
"Well, I haven't tried anything yet. I need to research solutions
first."
Caine123
KVRAF

2649 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Postby Caine123; Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:53 am Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

still unsure, but i think i will get trash 2 in addition to ohmicide, somehow trash 2 has nice dirty options and seems to be dirtier than maul.
Ah_Dziz
KVRian

1138 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Postby Ah_Dziz; Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:35 pm Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

Phase47 wrote:You can't beat FXpansion's modulation system.

I would argue that for my money ohm force has the best modulation across the board I've ever used in an fx plugin. Being able to instantly morph between an octave worth of completely different settings and control the behavior of the morphing allows for some pretty nutty stuff to happen. I still think ohmicide is the king of creative sound design distortions. There are plenty of "warm" and "subtle" signal distorters out there but when you want to break a signal in a serious way I haven't found a better solution. I also love ohm force's GUIs though so maybe I'm just a weirdo.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.
tonkatodd
KVRist

229 posts since 25 Jun, 2010

Postby tonkatodd; Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:09 pm Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

Ah_Dziz wrote:
Phase47 wrote:You can't beat FXpansion's modulation system.

I would argue that for my money ohm force has the best modulation across the board I've ever used in an fx plugin. Being able to instantly morph between an octave worth of completely different settings and control the behavior of the morphing allows for some pretty nutty stuff to happen. I still think ohmicide is the king of creative sound design distortions. There are plenty of "warm" and "subtle" signal distorters out there but when you want to break a signal in a serious way I haven't found a better solution. I also love ohm force's GUIs though so maybe I'm just a weirdo.

JJ

Yes I agree. I find Ohmicide insanely brutal and I always go back to it for destruction duties. I like the Ohmforce gui's as well. I am looking at Izotope Trash 2 but for more subtle distortions and drum kit buss processing.
cryophonik
KVRAF

3970 posts since 6 Sep, 2006, from Elk Grove, CA

Postby cryophonik; Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:48 pm Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

I wish Ohmicide had Maul's interface, or that Maul had Ohmicide's ability to dish out sonic punishment.
audientronic
KVRian

730 posts since 30 Mar, 2012

Postby audientronic; Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:44 pm Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

Ohmicide is distortion. Everything else is just saturation. :box:

I like the GUIs too. The crazier ones, not the tame alternatives. Especially Symptohm.
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

3937 posts since 24 May, 2009, from south park....DUH !!!

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:49 pm Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

Ohmicide is just on another level, though maybe best avoided for subtle saturation

Really love the gui's of their products, and ohmicide is lovely. Just wish it was bigger :shrug:
samsam
KVRian

1305 posts since 9 Dec, 2008

Postby samsam; Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:48 pm Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

Yea, always worth restating - some plugins give saturation, Ohmicide gives DISTORTION.
foosnark
KVRAF

2585 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:01 am Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

Subtle saturation never really did much for me.

Saturn is not bad, but at the price, given the plugins I already have, and given that I'm buying hardware distortion and fuzz anyway, I'll pass.
DJMashbot
KVRist

361 posts since 30 Apr, 2012

Postby DJMashbot; Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:37 am Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

Caine123 wrote:still unsure, but i think i will get trash 2 in addition to ohmicide, somehow trash 2 has nice dirty options and seems to be dirtier than maul.

Trash 2 is also excellent, capable of some downright nasty distortion. It's heavier on the CPU, though.
obstgegenrechz
KVRist

326 posts since 17 Jun, 2004, from south germany

Postby obstgegenrechz; Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:04 am Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

what i love very much about ohmicide is the per band gate <3
robindrieghe
KVRist

455 posts since 13 Oct, 2006

Postby robindrieghe; Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:22 pm Re: Ohmicide vs. Maul

i'd like to buy ohmicide for 29$
Hard=Sherman filterbank 2,Emu xboard 49,some korg stuff and adam a7x monitors.
Soft=just like everybody here : always trimming down and buying more :)
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects