are software dvd's copy protected ??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

just wondering, as i am currently traveling around with all my logic, omnisphere, trilian dvd's. i would ideally like to burn copies of these discs, and send the originals to my folks for safe keeping

before i invest in a pack of double-capacity dvd's, i wanted to check if they can simply be copied for backup purposes i.e the protection only exists in the license codes, authorisation etc

cheers

Typically software DVDs are not copy protected, unless they are themselves part of "disk key" copy protection. E.g. the original NI B4 was a key disk, and therefore not copyable by standard means (though for backup purposes alcohol 120 did the job). Protected disks are typically reserved for video games these days (SecuROM, TAGES, etc.), IMO, since other types of software will have it's own serial/CR/dongle protection scheme. So... should be safe to assume all your backups will not be a problem...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

thanks for the reply.

i still own original 'battery 3' and 'miroslav' dvd's, from many moons ago, so maybe they are protected

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:before i invest in a pack of double-capacity dvd's, i wanted to check if they can simply be copied for backup purposes i.e the protection only exists in the license codes, authorisation etc
Why waste money on DVD's?

Make iso image back up copies of the DVD's and keep them on a USB key or portable harddrive.

When I bought Komplete, the first thing I did was to make iso image back up copies of the DVD's

It is much easier to install from iso images than DVD's, just load the iso images with Daemon Tools Lite or some programme like that.

DVD drives will disappear sooner or later.

I do both... snag an ISO image using ImgBurn, burn that copy to DVD, then also copy the ISO to backup HD... so I have a couple of copies to satisfy my paranoia... also I agree that it's MUCH MUCH easier to install from ISO... like 10x faster than even a very fast DVD drive... for mounting ISOs on Windows I use "Virtual CloneDrive", which is free and fantastic...

I recycled some old computers, where I ended up having about 2GB of storage spread spread over 10+ HDD's.

So I bought myself one of these HDD docks:

So I backed up my Komplete iso's twice on two of those HDD I had rescued, put them in a padded envelope, and hid them in a cupboard. That's how I deal with my fright/paranoia of loosing data :D

Numanoid wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:before i invest in a pack of double-capacity dvd's, i wanted to check if they can simply be copied for backup purposes i.e the protection only exists in the license codes, authorisation etc
Why waste money on DVD's?

Make iso image back up copies of the DVD's and keep them on a USB key or portable harddrive.

When I bought Komplete, the first thing I did was to make iso image back up copies of the DVD's

It is much easier to install from iso images than DVD's, just load the iso images with Daemon Tools Lite or some programme like that.

DVD drives will disappear sooner or later.
good idea, but i have no hd space left. i guess that the money saved on the dvd's would contribute to a drive

will work this out on mac (should be pretty easy)

thanks guys :tu:

Numanoid wrote:So I backed up my Komplete iso's twice on two of those HDD I had rescued, put them in a padded envelope, and hid them in a cupboard. That's how I deal with my fright/paranoia of loosing data :D
Don't forget to take those drives out of the cupboard every once in a while and exercise the bearings... Roger Nichols wrote about losing terabytes of live Steely Dan audio due to frozen drives... http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr06/a ... s_0406.htm

... which is why you also need the DVD backup... actually, make two DVD backups, using different media, and if you have access to some sort of digital tape media, throw a copy on there too... :lol:

kbaccki wrote:Don't forget to take those drives out of the cupboard every once in a while and exercise the bearings... Roger Nichols wrote about losing terabytes of live Steely Dan audio due to frozen drives... http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr06/a ... s_0406.htm
Thanks for the reminder, and quite scary :(

But I don't use Firewire, and 20GB drives is quite some time ago, the smallest drive I'm using is 80GB:

"Ten percent of the external Firewire drives would not spin up. During one Steely Dan tour, we recorded all of the shows using a pair of Mackie 24-track hard disk recorders. We filled 70 20-Gigabyte drives. None of them will spin up now."

Numanoid wrote:
kbaccki wrote:Don't forget to take those drives out of the cupboard every once in a while and exercise the bearings... Roger Nichols wrote about losing terabytes of live Steely Dan audio due to frozen drives... http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr06/a ... s_0406.htm
Thanks for the reminder, and quite scary :(

But I don't use Firewire, and 20GB drives is quite some time ago, the smallest drive I'm using is 80GB:

"Ten percent of the external Firewire drives would not spin up. During one Steely Dan tour, we recorded all of the shows using a pair of Mackie 24-track hard disk recorders. We filled 70 20-Gigabyte drives. None of them will spin up now."
It's not about firewire, it's about the bearings in the drive mechanism being frozen. For example, if you don't run a motorcycle or car engine for several decades it will likely be seized... i.e., it no worky. Same concept with mechanical HDs... which actually speaks for backups to SSDs... if you can stomach the bit rot due to cosmic rays, that is... :lol:

kbaccki wrote:It's not about firewire, it's about the bearings in the drive mechanism being frozen. For example
I've left a harddrive for several years without using it and had no problem starting it up again.

If one of my harddrive ever should become frozen, I think I will ask the NSA to fetch the data for me, I trust they know how to do it :D

Maybe a stupid remark, but instead of going with DVD'S, USB sticks or spare HDD'S you could also consider storing those data on a reliable 'Cloud'-service host ...

Especially when you're 'on the road' a lot.

For smallish amounts of data that might make sense, though the publisher may have a problem with uploading their software to a cloud service! :P In any event, the software el-bo is talking about is many 10's of gigabytes, so I couldn't see it as practical without ubiquitous 50mbit service anywhere in the world. :)

Return to “Instruments”