How to get rid of CodeMeter (Propellerheads copy protection thingie)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

i recently uninstalled the Reason 7.1 demo, and after i did that, i uninstalled the CodeMeter copy protection too, just as it was described on the Propellerhead website, by removing it from Add/Uninstall programs in the Windows control panel. Well, obviously it wasn't uninstalled, because the next time i started up Windows, the CodeMeter thing is back, even loaded on Windows startup, as it seems to be in the autostart. My question therefor: How do i get rid of it? Can i safely remove the CodeMeter folder from Programe Files (x86)? Really pissed off at this sh**, if they implement that sort of copy protection, it should at least be uninstallable, if not should be uninstalled, when you uninstall Reason.

It's possible that you had it running when uninstalling, which probably prevented the uninstaller from removing it. It's probably also part of the startup items.

Make sure you remove it from memory (I.e. stop the process),
remove the folder,
remove from your start items.

It will be gone now.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote:It's possible that you had it running when uninstalling, which probably prevented the uninstaller from removing it.
Arf, you're right... i had it running when uninstalling it. I thought it killed the process, or something, just like "smart" uninstallers do...
spaceman wrote: Make sure you remove it from memory (I.e. stop the process),
remove the folder,
remove from your start items.

It will be gone now.
Alright, thanks, i will do so then.

Un-installs are never that easy unfortunately. Most programs leave remnants in the registry, file folders, etc.

You can disable the "load on start" by going into msconfig and un-checking the start up.

Normally, to get rid of everything you will need to manually search for file folders and delete them and then going into the registry and search for/ delete references. You will still have remnants though - files that you won't know waht they are on the C: drive. They won't take much room.

If you are unsure when working in the registry, don't do it! Simple! You run huge risks of messing up your system if you don't know what you're doing in the registry.

Search Google for how to maneuver in and start msconfig.

Only way to get rid of everything is a clean install of the OS.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Not sure though if the registry stuff wasn't removed yet though, when i uninstalled CodeMeter in "add/remove programs". Not sure what it does.

chk071 wrote:Not sure though if the registry stuff wasn't removed yet though, when i uninstalled CodeMeter in "add/remove programs". Not sure what it does.
I would expect it to have remove the important bits at least (minus the process itself in this case). It might still have been running, but I doubt it was working properly.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Well, i contacted Propellerhead support, and the Wibu CodeMeter support now, plus i openend a thread on Propellerheads forum. Hope someone can sort me out there, don't want to mess with registry or anything. This really p***es me off... why can't they program a decent uninstaller, which stops the process in the background. Amateurs... :roll:

I've used the free Revo Uninstaller for years without a problem.
It has several levels of uninstall that can remove registry entries and associated files/folders.
You can also run it after using the Windows Add/Remove Programs or a company's uninstaller.

CCleaner also has a similar function, though the uninstaller has fewer options. Have also used that for years with zero issues.

Both also allow you to control program AutoRun on boot.

Thanks Winstontaneous, i'll give those a try. :)

Neither Revo nor Ccleaner are even able to see Codemeter is still installed. I suspect they do the same as the Windows add/remove programs tool, and when it's not listed there, it's not listed in these progs either... don't know what to do really, already contacted Wibu, the developer of Codemeter, and got the standard answer that i should remove it via the add/remove programs dialog, even though i explicitely wrote that i already have tried that. :lol: Oh well, maybe i get an answer that works now i wrote a second time that i have already done that.

chk071 - take a look here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24696 ... -codemeter

You may have already seen this, but just in case not:
http://www.wibu.com/us/faq-codemeter/qu ... er-10.html

Also here (notice specifically the "Codemeter Runtime Kit" statement:
http://support.codemeter.de/en/faq/faq- ... -uninstall

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

chk071,
I Step:
1- C:\Program files\Codemeter.
2- Delete Folder.

II Step:
1- Go to Start Menu
2- Run
3- Type REGEDIT and hit Enter
4- Delete this folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WIBU-SYSTEMS
5- Delete this folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WIBU-SYSTEMS

That said, don´t go and delete all of your Registry folders unless you know what you are doing.

For example, you might be tempted to delete the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Propellerhead Software\
but within this folder (in my case) lies HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Propellerhead Software\ReWire\Ableton Live Engine , and if you have Ableton or another DAW that supports Rewire, it may cause problems with it if you delete these files.

You can also check the following:
1- Go to Start Menu
2- Run
3- Type MSCONFIG and hit Enter
4- Select the Services Tab
5- Uncheck CodeMeter Runtime Server
6- Uncheck any other services you don´t want running in the background.
7- Select the Startup Tab
8- Uncheck CodeMeter Control Service
9- Apply changes.
10- You will be prompted to restart your PC. Do it.
11- When you restart, a pop up message will apper telling you that you have made changes to your system blablablabla.
12-Check the little box to not show this message again.

Hope this helps,

marioisaac wrote:chk071,
You can also check the following:
1- Go to Start Menu
2- Run
3- Type MSCONFIG and hit Enter
4- Select the Services Tab
5- Uncheck CodeMeter Runtime Server

6- Uncheck any other services you don´t want running in the background.
7- Select the Startup Tab
8- Uncheck CodeMeter Control Service
9- Apply changes.
10- You will be prompted to restart your PC. Do it.
11- When you restart, a pop up message will apper telling you that you have made changes to your system blablablabla.
12-Check the little box to not show this message again.

Hope this helps,
Ah, awesome, that got rid of the Codemeter Runtime thing which still was running, already removed the Codemeter Control Service. Thanks for that. :) I will also try the other steps, after i heard back from Wibu support. I described my problem to them, and wrote that i already tried to uninstall it from the add/remove programs dialog in Windows, but they still proposed to do so lol. I guess that's the "professional answer", that comes in 99% of the cases. :) I wouldn't even mind it still being installed now. The main part was to get rid of the startup services.

If you want to delete a service, head to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Chances are if you disabled it from running, it wont start itself up in the future, i just personally like to get rid of the junk.

That said, ill repeat what mario said, dont go deleting random things.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”