Eventide UltraChannel Native plug-in for Free

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UltraChannel

Impossible for ilok to make a computer or DAW unstable.

Kaboom75 wrote:Impossible for ilok to make a computer or DAW unstable.
How is it impossible? It runs at driver/service level, meaning there's another layer of complexity and interaction with external software added to the mix. Also if PACE driver is badly written (and PACE has a long and well documented history of exactly doing that) it will certainly cause instabilities in the OS.
No signature here!

It's not a driver that is required by the OS or any hardware to run. Just more scaremongering on another free plugin.

Wow, that has to be the most painless and easiest authorization and installation - and I never even had an ilok account to begin with. Up and running in a matter of minutes. What an amazing freebie!

ghettosynth wrote:the big benefit of dongle systems is the ability to move them from one computer to another and to be able to reinstall everything without having to worry about how many installs that I have remaining. For that kind of freedom, there's a cost, knowwhatimsayin?
If you want to be free, you gotta take the D(ongle).
Rubbish.
Deactivate the license from your machine, it wanders back into the "cloud" and is flagged as "available".
Activate the license from the "cloud" to the 2nd machine - done.

But you won't even have to do that, by the way. Eventide plugins tend to come with multiple licenses, I have one Omnipressor and one UltraChannel license activated to my iLok2 dongle, and I have one Omnipressor and one UltraChannel license activated to my MacBook without dongle. UVI were the same, gave me 2 licenses to distribute. (EDIT: distribute throughout my iLok account, i.e. dongles and machines)

I just saw a picture of animal rights activists, making a dog on a leash sit in the sun.
Gotta love the human feeling of entitledness. <3
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:the big benefit of dongle systems is the ability to move them from one computer to another and to be able to reinstall everything without having to worry about how many installs that I have remaining. For that kind of freedom, there's a cost, knowwhatimsayin?
If you want to be free, you gotta take the D(ongle).
Rubbish.
Deactivate the license from your machine, it wanders back into the "cloud" and is flagged as "available".
Activate the license from the "cloud" to the 2nd machine - done.
Yes, for systems like iLok, you have that option if both computers are still running. If your first computer has died, however, the option is gone. With normal C/R systems, that's not the case. I was expressing my opinion, I wouldn't bother with a free plugin that requires authorization unless I was using a dongle. If you feel differently, good for you, it won't change my stance on the matter.

What I am saying is that there are two possible destinations for your license but only one of those destinations is unique to the license manager, namely the dongle. Authorizations to hard drives are written on a device that many applications and the OS in general manipulates and, in my experience, are far more fragile.
But you won't even have to do that, by the way. Eventide plugins tend to come with multiple licenses, I have one Omnipressor and one UltraChannel license activated to my iLok2 dongle, and I have one Omnipressor and one UltraChannel license activated to my MacBook without dongle. UVI were the same, gave me 2 licenses to distribute. (EDIT: distribute throughout my iLok account, i.e. dongles and machines)
Now, you are counting installs. I only need one, and I need it to work despite the fact that something screwed up that particular sector on my hard drive today.

This is a matter of risk management for me. I like dongles because they externalize the license and decouple it from my system. Hard drive based assets don't have that property.
I just saw a picture of animal rights activists, making a dog on a leash sit in the sun.
Huh? I'm not sure who you referring to, but I tire of this sort of out of place idiocy. Such shallow assumptions ignores that free plugins are NOT a gift, they are a promotional item PURCHASED with sales lead information. So, I am VERY MUCH f**king ENTITLED to manage my own system and decide whether that exchange is worth it TO ME. Devs did NOT purchase my system and are therefore NOT ENTITLED to determine how I use any part of it.

In the past I have installed several free C/R plugins, they are ALL long gone. I don't bother with them anymore because the chance that they will make to to the next machine is tiny and I don't want to have to load a project only to find that I no longer have that plugin.

My strict dongle/serial only policy for new plugins is working very well for me thanks. I've been able to filter a large number of devs and I just don't even waste my time looking at their products at all. And now that I have iLok, a lot of new devs are now on my radar in their place, hello Eventide. I even have some paid products that are C/R that I'll likely never install again. I'm pretty much limiting C/R on my system to industry giants like NI, and begrudgingly, Ableton.

bduffy wrote:
FFHKVR wrote:I remain amazed, FREE, almost fell off my chair when I saw this in the forum, but when virtually suffered a heart attack was to see the CPU consumption of this beast, all modules off, I repeat absolutely all modules off, it ate 32 percent of my processor on my old 2006 Mac Pro
OK "Audio Suite to the rescue" :clap: :clap:
Anyway I'm HAPPY! :wheee:
Oh, thank god it's not just me!

Confirmed, on an Early-2008 Mac Pro, Cubase 7.5.2: UltraChannel loads with a good 20-30% CPU doing nothing, and when I tracked a single guitar track, just using the O-Pressor and Pitch-delays, my CPU was way up to about 80% at 128ms buffer!

Ouch. I think there's a memory leak. I Might have to just use it for mastering, or printing fx for now. :?
MacPro 4.1, OSX.6.8, Vienna Ensemble Pro: this thing has a quite negligible footprint in terms of CPU and RAM. Activity Monitor has no big news for me just from instantiating it. It may be using some RAM, 100MB?; one of the times adding it the instance went from 5.24GB to 5.25. Now without it it reads 5.25, I can't say. CPU meter doing pretty much the same thing here with or without it.
People talk about C7 and memory leaks, I don't know, not what I use.

ghettosynth wrote:
Huh? I'm not sure who you referring to, but I tire of this sort of out of place idiocy. Such shallow assumptions ignores that free plugins are NOT a gift, they are a promotional item PURCHASED with sales lead information. So, I am VERY MUCH f**king ENTITLED to manage my own system and decide whether that exchange is worth it TO ME. Devs did NOT purchase my system and are therefore NOT ENTITLED to determine how I use any part of it.

In the past I have installed several free C/R plugins, they are ALL long gone. I don't bother with them anymore because the chance that they will make to to the next machine is tiny and I don't want to have to load a project only to find that I no longer have that plugin.

My strict dongle/serial only policy for new plugins is working very well for me thanks. I've been able to filter a large number of devs and I just don't even waste my time looking at their products at all. And now that I have iLok, a lot of new devs are now on my radar in their place, hello Eventide. I even have some paid products that are C/R that I'll likely never install again. I'm pretty much limiting C/R on my system to industry giants like NI, and begrudgingly, Ableton.
I was actually only referring to the fact that people tend to not only look a gift horse in the mouth, but get upset when it does something they don't want it to do.

You have absolutely no say over what Eventide or PACE do or don't.
And you have absolutely no right to tell them what to do.
They won't change it, no matter how much hate you spew forth.
Absolutely no use in ranting for pages and pages, not only you but any "iLok hater".
Stop your public quest for copy protective dongle liberty.
Stop spoiling the fun for those who don't share the paranoia with you.

If you don't agree with what they have to offer - don't get it.
As simple as that.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

kelvyn wrote:@hibidy

Sorry! I didn't make myself clear... I meant generally and not particularly to this thread that there seems to be quite a lot of negativity aimed at Pace.
Critique is one thing but the amount of vitriol aimed at Pace/iLok sometimes is simply too one sided when one considers that its the developers decision who they work with.
Like I said there are enough alternatives without - as you point out - people getting entrenched or stuck on one thing or the other.

Sorry you missed out on the Soundtoys deal... but the Eventide sounds pretty good as well:)
I wanted to apologize PERSONALLY to you as indeed the thread has gotten pretty bad at times. You saw it coming, it came :hihi:

That's what I get for positive thinking :lol:

All of this because a company tries to GIVE us an effects plugin. :dog:

chokehold wrote: I was actually only referring to the fact that people tend to not only look a gift horse in the mouth, but get upset when it does something they don't want it to do.
Again, first, it's not a gift, it's a calculated promotional release, and second, what people complain about is not in your purview.
You have absolutely no say over what Eventide or PACE do or don't.
Oh, yes, I do, albeit, a very limited power. I have the power of choosing what to buy and what not to buy. Sorry, that power is 100% in my purview. Moreover, that includes my right to evaluate any promotional plugin as well, including the right to determine what my limits are.
And you have absolutely no right to tell them what to do.
Are you confused? I don't recall telling any vendor what to do? They can do whatever the hell they like, they can use whatever kind of protection that they want to do. You are over-reading my agreement with the parent regarding software drivers that are intermediaries between the vendor and the user. I think that there is too little value provided by pace in that context to use them, and I won't, period.

Adding any driver to your system can contribute to destabilization. This has nothing to do with pace, per se, I have no axe to grind with them.
They won't change it, no matter how much hate you spew forth.
Again, I have no idea what you're talking about. I simply stated that I wouldn't bother with iLok sans dongle. Perhaps you should read a little more carefully.
Absolutely no use in ranting for pages and pages, not only you but any "iLok hater".
Well, first, I'm not an iLok hater, if you had read what I've been writing, you'd know that. I am a C/R hater and I don't like unnecessary drivers. I do, however, like dongles, and if you go back a few pages you will see that I've just started using iLok for other reasons and I'm quite happy with it, and the dongle. Second, I disagree that there is no use in ranting or complaing, even though that's not what I've been doing.
Stop your public quest for copy protective dongle liberty.
Stop spoiling the fun for those who don't share the paranoia with you.
I don't know what you're talking about, but if my words spoil your fun, you are a bona fide idiot. This is a discussion forum, where people discuss things, if you can't handle it, go elsewhere. I will continue to promote my point of view and encourage developers to use methods that I prefer. You are free to do the same, what you are not free to do, however, is to tell me what to do.
If you don't agree with what they have to offer - don't get it.
As simple as that.
For simpletons, I'm sure that it is, I'll do what I like thank you very much.

robotmonkey wrote:
lotus2035 wrote:This ilok program is no more intrusive than any number of other programs I have installed.
Actually it is. It is constantly running in a background as a driver/service and is know to cause all kinds of trouble. Even quite recently it f**ked up some eLicenser plugins. People were complaining these same forums here.
you can see into my computer? who are you the NSA?

It does run a process constantly in the background, which is annoying but I can live with. :)

Kaboom75 wrote:Impossible for ilok to make a computer or DAW unstable.
Misinformation.
It has done that hundreds of times.
Waves beta tester colleagues had to reinstall their OSs.
Some didn't allow Pace on their mission critical system.
They used the 'Pace free' version.
For three weeks, I could either use Autotune OR my Waves plugins.
If I tried both, the system crashed.

Yep, complete system crashes are less these days. OSs are more robust.
And Pace has improved, in this regard. Took them 'only' 10 years.

Still Pace can cause crashes.
Besides the known issues with with eLicenser plugins,
I can report Melodyne crashing Cubase, after installing an app, protected by Aladdin.

Jan

arkmabat wrote:It does run a process constantly in the background, which is annoying but I can live with. :)
Quite a lot of software does this. In every case, there is a cost/benefit tradeoff. Some software poses a greater risk than others, and of course, each driver offers a varying level of benefit to the user. I think that running the iLok drivers only for a promotional plugin and without the benefit of the license being external to the system is of too high a risk for the reward gained. I wouldn't have bothered with this plugin at all if I hadn't have already purchased an iLok for something that is far more important to me than a promotional channel strip. Others obviously feel differently.

To be clear, I like license management as a practice as opposed to one time authentication. I think that eLicenser has a better track record and I'd prefer that companies just go with that approach. That said, I would be reluctant to use any of them without the license residing externally to the computer, i.e., in a dongle.

My attitude is, yes, in part, related to pace's well publicized poor track record of customer service. So, yes, I expect more value to offset the risk with pace. I don't really give a shit how my point of view might make others feel, it's my point of view, you're free to have a different one.

Return to “Effects”