Exponential Audio R2 and Phoenix Verb questions...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi theres, I'm just about to pull the pin on R2 stereo and noticed the bundle which is only $105 more…
Yes, it might be GAS, but just want to know if current EA owners would recommend having both?
R2 sounds amazing and if Phoenix is any cleaner i just can't imagine why i would need such a clean verb? Unfortunately i activated the demo last year but never got to actually test it. The EA website doesn't seem to have audio examples either?…

I generally like modulation in my tails, but later this year i will possibly be recording some traditional Thai musicians which might call for the cleanest verb possible??... My current go-to verb is Sparkverb and i'm quite comfortable with the prospect of using only it and R2. That said, if PhoenixVerb is well worth the extra $105…? GAS shall prevail

Current owner and user opinions please?

Hi,
I`m using only Phoenixverb (just a matter of money),
but I suppose it complements nicely with R2
as Michael wouldn`t develop them separately without a good reason.

He recently did some great tuts on youtube, like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXVd8qOAW48

and you may want to go from there to others on his channel.
sqigls wrote:Hi theres, I'm just about to pull the pin on R2 stereo and noticed the bundle which is only $105 more…
Yes, it might be GAS, but just want to know if current EA owners would recommend having both?
R2 sounds amazing and if Phoenix is any cleaner i just can't imagine why i would need such a clean verb? Unfortunately i activated the demo last year but never got to actually test it. The EA website doesn't seem to have audio examples either?…

I generally like modulation in my tails, but later this year i will possibly be recording some traditional Thai musicians which might call for the cleanest verb possible??... My current go-to verb is Sparkverb and i'm quite comfortable with the prospect of using only it and R2. That said, if PhoenixVerb is well worth the extra $105…? GAS shall prevail

Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

thank you, yeah i should of checked out YouTube, i wouldn't have thought YouTube would have good enough audio for reverb examples, but it's not so bad.

sqigls wrote:Hi theres, I'm just about to pull the pin on R2 stereo and noticed the bundle which is only $105 more…

I have both and uses them both. Features are a bit different. But the sound is also different, even when reduced to the same feature set.
If you can only afford one atm, I'd strongly suggest to test both units side by side with similar settings, and let your heart/ears decide. But bith are superb imho.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I want to A/B them, but my PhoenixVerb demo has been used up, so no go unfortunately.
That's just one of the lame things about iLok.

I think I'll just get them both, and eat next week :P

ask Michael, he may give you another demo period.
I have license for both.. have no regrets, I have not used any other reverb since buying these two.. They are very different... the Phoenix clear, transparent for situations where you want a sense of reverb without hearing reverb (which is how I mostly like reverb), or the R2 when you want to hear the reverb....

very different, both top of the line.
I say go for both.
rsp
sound sculptist

I asked him for a second demo and he gave me another ilok demo licence. Just email him with your ilok acount name. I'm going to save for R2 after I buy VMR.

I use both depending on the task, pre/post-production, mixing a song, etc. Even when mixing a song I always stop a minute and think which one I'll use on that particular track because the sound is very different. I don't think I'd be needing another reverb in my career unless they stop working someday which I really doubt it will happen (at least not in ten years, at least).

Nobody answered my request for a new Phoenix demo, but I bit the bullet and got both.
Phoenix is amazing. It meshes with the source like no other reverb 'effect' i have heard.
Amazing.

sqigls wrote:Nobody answered my request for a new Phoenix demo, but I bit the bullet and got both.
Phoenix is amazing. It meshes with the source like no other reverb 'effect' i have heard.
Amazing.
... exactly, but to me, it is hard to explain when someone asks "how does it sounds?".

I also suppose Michael is absent atm, otherwise you`d have a positive reply to another demo request.

On the youtube tuts like the above you`ll find pretty unique features as well, like,
it can itself switch on/off when in use/not in use during an entire song.
I tried it several times and it works perfectly, it`s right there when needed and goes off when not needed.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

sqigls wrote:Nobody answered my request for a new Phoenix demo, but I bit the bullet and got both.
I'm really sorry I didn't see your request. I'd have been happy to fix you up. I was traveling for a few days, juggling laptop and iPhone and I must have dropped the ball somewhere along the way. Thanks for showing enough faith to go ahead with the purchase. I'll try to figure out where I messed up and get that fixed up.

Hi Michael,

On your website you state that the surround reverbs are not a replacement for the stereo reverbs. I notice there's no "downgrade" path if you buy the surround ones first. Do you think the surround would cover all of one's stereo needs as well? I'm mostly interested in sound for picture, but I doubt I'll be mixing for surround anytime soon. Thanks...

audientronic wrote:Hi Michael,
Do you think the surround would cover all of one's stereo needs as well?
For many people they would. Even in stereo mode, the surrounds have more flexible and complex early reflections, which might make a big difference for you in dialog or foley. They do consume a bit more CPU than the stereo plugs, but not by much. There are only a couple of downsides I can think of:

*Many presets are based on surround (front/time time, some of the reflection distribution). They'll work perfectly well in stereo, but they won't shine in the way they would in surround.

*If you've got clients who are using the stereo plugins, you won't be able to import their mixes unless you've got the stereo verbs as well. For some people that's really important and for others it doesn't matter a bit.

Michael Carnes wrote:
audientronic wrote:Hi Michael,
Do you think the surround would cover all of one's stereo needs as well?
For many people they would. Even in stereo mode, the surrounds have more flexible and complex early reflections, which might make a big difference for you in dialog or foley. They do consume a bit more CPU than the stereo plugs, but not by much. There are only a couple of downsides I can think of:

*Many presets are based on surround (front/time time, some of the reflection distribution). They'll work perfectly well in stereo, but they won't shine in the way they would in surround.

*If you've got clients who are using the stereo plugins, you won't be able to import their mixes unless you've got the stereo verbs as well. For some people that's really important and for others it doesn't matter a bit.
Okay, thanks, that's very helpful. It does seem that I may need to upgrade or change my DAW as well, I don't believe I have surround compatibility.

audientronic wrote: It does seem that I may need to upgrade or change my DAW as well, I don't believe I have surround compatibility.
What are you using for a DAW now?

Return to “Effects”