Kontakt 5 xgrade no-brainer???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe this belongs in MP, but this is also a pro-kontakt post! :^)

For those of u longing for the pricey kontakt, the x-grade is currently on sale for US $125.. And NI lists the FREE sennheiser Mic A drum lib as qualifying! So u can get full Kontakt for $125 + shipping whatever... That's a crazy low price! :tu:
You need to limit that rez, bro.

i've never really been tempted, but for $200 i'm able to get Komplete.
My god, it's the biggest bunch of plugins i've ever read through the list of... I'll definitely need a new hard drive.
I don't know if it would make me any more productive, or just swamped with too many toys again?

kbaccki wrote:Maybe this belongs in MP, but this is also a pro-kontakt post! :^)

For those of u longing for the pricey kontakt, the x-grade is currently on sale for US $125.. And NI lists the FREE sennheiser Mic A drum lib as qualifying! So u can get full Kontakt for $125 + shipping whatever... That's a crazy low price! :tu:
And once you've done that, you can add another 200 to crossgrade to Komplete, which gives you Komplete for a total of 325 :D (euro's or dollars, I believe they amount to the same number)

sqigls wrote:i've never really been tempted, but for $200 i'm able to get Komplete.
My god, it's the biggest bunch of plugins i've ever read through the list of... I'll definitely need a new hard drive.
I don't know if it would make me any more productive, or just swamped with too many toys again?
You don't have to install ALL of them, though. Only those that interest you. But yes, it is the biggest bang for the buck in the plugin industry, for sure.

i bought reaktor for £89 a few weeks ago, gonna crossgrade to komplete 9 for £169
total bargain.

emef wrote:i bought reaktor for £89 a few weeks ago, gonna crossgrade to komplete 9 for £169
total bargain.
How does it work if you already own stuff in there(Komplete 9) - can you resell it? I.e. I'm using Kontakt 5, which makes the crossgrade to Komplete work, but I already own some of the Kontakt N.I sample libraries and FM8 etc. Obviously I'm assuming I cannot sell Kontakt 5(used for the x-grade) but the rest I can maybe?

You can resell individual products you had before Komplete, yes.

breakmixer wrote:
emef wrote:i bought reaktor for £89 a few weeks ago, gonna crossgrade to komplete 9 for £169
total bargain.
How does it work if you already own stuff in there(Komplete 9) - can you resell it? I.e. I'm using Kontakt 5, which makes the crossgrade to Komplete work, but I already own some of the Kontakt N.I sample libraries and FM8 etc. Obviously I'm assuming I cannot sell Kontakt 5(used for the x-grade) but the rest I can maybe?
Yes, you can :) (indeed, except the product you used to crossgrade, ie Kontakt).
Ask NI to release the redundant serials from your account, and you can then sell them here on the Marketplace.

breakmixer wrote:
total bargain.
It's been awhile since I've done this, so double check with NI. However, generally speaking, you need to keep the crossgrade product, and you can sell the boxed versions of anything else you have. There used to be a ban on re-selling downloadable products, but this was relaxed awhile ago, though you do have to ask them first. You'll get an email confirm and a deactivation of the product in your account IIRC.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Ok, thanks - at everyone who replied,

1 more daft question, N.I. do not tell you why your upgrade is legible, what happens if you own for example both Reaktor and Kontakt(both allow the X-grade), how does it choose the product then that becomes the X-Grade product, just curious on that one...?

I'd probably email customer service on that one. I have emailed them before about weird cross-grade/upgrade questions. They responded fairly quickly via email.

EvilDragon wrote:You can resell individual products you had before Komplete, yes.
yes, all but the product you use as upgrade-path.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

Occasionally, I see a Kontakt library (free or otherwise) that looks interesting and I think about getting it but, I'm much more in to synthesis than sampling. It's really a shame that Kontakt is so dominant, I would love to just use Live's sampler for what little I need. I have the same problem with Komplete. I currently qualify for crossgrades to both. $125 for Kontakt or $199 for Komplete. That's a crapload more stuff for $75. I could probably turn around and sell Massive and nearly recoup the difference. I just don't see much in Komplete I want, that I don't already have. hmmmm

I just asked them a couple of weeks ago about a complex Kontakt resale scenario… I have one K1-K5 upgrade path (where K1 was originally a cross grade), plus I have a separate K4 crossgrade license from some other lib… I was basically asking "what, if anything, is the K5 upgrade attached to? The K4 upgrade, or the K4 crossgrade?" The response took forever, and really didn't answer the question... only provided some general info about license transfers.

I think it doesn't matter -- I don't think they keep a record of which product was used for which crossgrade/upgrade. As long as you have a valid product registered to you in your account, upgrade/crossfrade licenses are not "attached" to each other.

In other words, if I want to sell my K4 crossgrade license, I need to sell it with some qualifying 3rd party lib, cuz it's a crossgrade. Let's say I originally qualified with, oh Garritan Personal Orchestra… the old one… now I want to sell my crossgrade but to entice the buyer give them something that's not obsolete or whatever, so I put my xgrade up for sale with, say, EthnoWorld 4.

I don't think they track upgrade/crossgrade "paths", because if you think about it… what a freaking nightmare.

I just logged into my NI account, and clicked on the button to buy the Kontakt crossgrade. Then next page does not ask me for anything else… no serials or anything… it just does the qualification in the background.

In addition, below the crossgrade drop down, it says this: "As an owner of KONTAKT 1.5 you qualify for the Update."

Now, technically my K1.5 has already been upgraded to K2, K3, K4, K5… but does this mean I can upgrade K1.5 multiple times? Or perhaps because I also have the K4 crossgrade (not upgrade), it knows that I have 2 "license paths"???

I can't imagine that there licensing/registration database is so complex that it would keep track of such complicated relationships -- if it did, then it would have to explicitly ask me "which of your existing products do you want this crossgrade to apply to?", but it doesn't. I think that's why I got a non-reply from them -- they know they don't exactly have an answer, and maybe don't want to open up a can of worms with chumps like me asking too many questions… :shrug:
Last edited by kbaccki on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

breakmixer wrote:How does it work if you already own stuff in there(Komplete 9) - can you resell it? I.e. I'm using Kontakt 5, which makes the crossgrade to Komplete work, but I already own some of the Kontakt N.I sample libraries and FM8 etc. Obviously I'm assuming I cannot sell Kontakt 5(used for the x-grade) but the rest I can maybe?
Let's say you have Kontakt and also FM8… what I would do is keep the cheapest product for your "crossgrade path", and unload the other, if that's your intent… I think Kontakt is worth more resale wise, so keep FM8 in your account, buy the crossgrade to Komplete, then sell Kontakt. As long as FM8 is still in your account, the Komplete crossgrade is still legitimate (in fact, the active FM8 registration would be needed at the time you register Komplete, AFAIK).

Return to “Instruments”