One-Synth-Challenge 63: VOPM (Ended)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VOPM

Congrats to the winners! :D

After hearing all the other entries, I certainly didn't expect to be even in the top 10 ... but last? :(
Yeah, that I totally didn't expect.

oh well I guess

question: Is it really necessary to post what everyone voted for every track? Personally, I really don't want to know what each and every person gave me. Also, I would imagine that could make for some animosity between people, and even "revenge voting".
Seeing exactly how everyone voted kinda sucks IMHO (altho I have resisted looking, aside from seeing a few when I first opened the tallies page -- wasn't expected the full details there-in)

artao wrote: question: Is it really necessary to post what everyone voted for every track? Personally, I really don't want to know what each and every person gave me. Also, I would imagine that could make for some animosity between people, and even "revenge voting".
Seeing exactly how everyone voted kinda sucks IMHO (altho I have resisted looking, aside from seeing a few when I first opened the tallies page -- wasn't expected the full details there-in)

That's a good question, and we've been posting the results since day one. It gives transparency... so everyone can confirm that the results are good. It also makes it easy to identify people who are abusing the system.

We've only had a few cases in the past few years where there is some animosity. Also, everyone votes a little differently, so some people may end up voting very strict, or loose with their points. Either way, the goal has been to respect people's votes... because they are not voting that you are a bad musician, bad person, or you suck, but they are voting because the tune simply didn't resonate with them. The best thing to do in this case is to talk to people and find out what you can improve, what things you were lacking. You could also do a Collab with someone :)

Hope that explains things :) :hug:

bjporter wrote:The best thing to do in this case is to talk to people and find out what you can improve
Yes, this is invaluable information. I've asked a few people from time to time and usually people are willing to share some valid reasons what didn't hit home with them or offer advice. But Brian is right, at least in my opinion: the OSC is a place of learning how to improve. You will find that most people will give pointers and share information to make better tracks.

In turn, I also, will be happy to give constructive criticism to anyone who wants it (just PM me or something).

So, I don't like to think about winning or losing, but rather improving the craft, which really is the biggest win of all in my book.

bjporter wrote:
artao wrote: question: Is it really necessary to post what everyone voted for every track? Personally, I really don't want to know what each and every person gave me. Also, I would imagine that could make for some animosity between people, and even "revenge voting".

That's a good question, and we've been posting the results since day one. It gives transparency... so everyone can confirm that the results are good. It also makes it easy to identify people who are abusing the system.

We've only had a few cases in the past few years where there is some animosity. Also, everyone votes a little differently, so some people may end up voting very strict, or loose with their points. Either way, the goal has been to respect people's votes... because they are not voting that you are a bad musician, bad person, or you suck, but they are voting because the tune simply didn't resonate with them. The best thing to do in this case is to talk to people and find out what you can improve, what things you were lacking. You could also do a Collab with someone :)

Hope that explains things :) :hug:

I didn't realize that's the way it was done, so it was just a bit of a surprise to me to open the tally page and see all that. :o 8) :P :lol:

Yeah, to be honest I was a little surprised to see all my votes up there for all to see after my first OSC.

Ultimately it really does fit as part of the process though. It is clear that some peeps vote low unless they find something particularly special or impressive while others are more liberal with the high scores. And then there's the possibility of favouritism and revenge voting.

All within the rules and all just adds to the challenge IMO ;)

I do agree that some good tracks get neglected along the way but I have never seen a dispute over the winner.

I think that communication and feedback help the contest. That's probably why you guys are encouraging everyone to keep making comments, having constructive criticism, and keeping it friendly. It puts the voting in perspective. I'm thinking it takes a contest or two for new people to see how it works, but once you see it's a supportive community, you're hooked!

The perspective I took on voting:
EVERYONE starts at a '3' ... to me, '3' is 'average' given the amalgamation of submitted tracks.
As such, '2' is 'a bit under average', '4' a bit over average, '1' very under average, and '5' WELL above average.
i state this considering that ALL my votes are seen. So there you now have a basis (if you care) for my voting criteria.
I would LOVE to see everyone adopt such an impersonal and un-biased approach, but I also know that is TOTALLY unreasonable LOL
To most people, you either enjoy something or you don't; and therein lies the judgement.
NOT to say my way is "better" than anyone elses. I totally don't wanna come off like some prick who claims to have a "better" method than other people. Cuz that is SERIOUSLY not my point.
I'm just sayin: there are movies I LOVE which I totally recognize as pretty crappy. Conversely, there are movies I never want to watch again which I KNOW are very high HIGH level film-wise.
also, I have come to remember ....... i KNOW the music I make isn't to everyone's taste. ... frankly, I kinda do that deliberately. I try to push musical boundaries. Even to the point of being hard to listen to. (for instance: I have an album planned in my head which will be called "Enharmonious Dissonance" ... of which the goal will be to cause visceral reactions in the listener ... like nausea or headache ... deliberately! ....... but this is just the sort of thing I enjoy doing LOL.... ........... I too will have trouble listening to (and even MAKING) this album. It will, ideally, cause me myself to feel ill while trying to make it LOL)
and that is also kinda why constructive critique often doesn't work for me .. many times i've had people comment on things i did deliberately that they didn't like .. for the specific reason i did it
I like noise music .... As I continue in these OSC's, you will learn that LOL
Frankly, Fuzzadub was one of the most musical tracks I've ever produced ... and that was /kinda/ because it was for this competition. ... to wit: I reigned myself in a bit (yeah, that chaotisism was deliberate)
I'm not sure if I'll submit to #64 yet ... I've been struggling with finding a 'theme' that insipres me .. but for #64 i gave myself strict guidelines of 9/8 time, D Phrygian mode ... and so far i am REALLY just not feelin that
However, this now belongs more in the #64 thread, not this one.
Now that voting is in, I am curious how I ended up in dead last.
I've seen a few offers for advisement, but am not sure if taking up those offers would account for my tendency to produce discordancy and noise.
I know I went overboard with the delays and echo. After the fact. It DID get a bit /too/ muddy sometimes .. but then, i look for the edge of muddy. I look for the edge of "pleasant" .... i strive to make people accept "unpleasant" sounds as actually musical
so .. frankly ... i doubt I'll ever do particularly well in these contests LOL
My music is deliberately hard to listen to. BUT if you can stand it, you'll hear what I'm doing.
I got a couple comments re: such atonal/discordance tendencies ... and to me they seemed pretty positive. ... BUT I understand too that discordancy is hard to listen to and/or accept musically.

SO! I may actually take up some offers of critique. But, i may also not listen. LOL ... .... generally I have specific reasons for what I do ... BUT, mixing, mastering ... that sort of thing I could REALLY use help with. But not the sounds themselves or, in general, the composition. ... Just so you understand. :D

EDIT:
However, compositionally ...
There is ONE thing that many people have often said about many of my tracks.
"I kept expecting something else to come in."
As in ... they wanted a melody line, or a rapper, or vocals, or .... SOMETHING
I'm just not really hearing that, and I'm not quite sure what is meant by that. ... i thought I put that in there already. LOL

... and considering my track is the ONLY track in the competition to have ZERO 'likes' on it ... i shouldn't really be surprised to come in last
LOL

Hi,

I will choose the Balance Mastering as prize.
Another opportunity to leran what can be improved in sound.

A big "Thank You" to the sponsor!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

z.prime wrote:Congratulations, Jasinski. ...

And, special congratulations to Photonic. I sorta dismissed your track the first couple times I listened to it... but the 3rd or 4th time, I realized you got really, really good sounds out of VOPM. We don't have the same musical tastes, obviously, but I think you deserve the top for sound design with this synth. Those drums are marvelous and your composition is always top notch. If only I could figure out how to master progressions and melody like you...
Your comment is a big honor for me! Thank you very much.
It is true, we don't have the same musical tastes. I am happy that a lot of the participants can respect other styles and try to vote on an objective base and not only on the base of personal taste. It is not easy, and I had to learn it too. But I realy try to hear to the amount of efford, to the overall quality of the track, to the creativity and so on.

Progression and melody: there is no plan, no musical theory ... just inspiration by the sounds and many hours of improvisation and try and errors.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

artao wrote:... BUT, mixing, mastering ... that sort of thing I could REALLY use help with. But not the sounds themselves or, in general, the composition. ... Just so you understand. :D
Hey that's a huge part of OSC tracks for sure - mixing goes a long way I've noticed. I'll try and send you some advice if I have time.

Congratulations, winners!

And a special mention goes to the one who ended ninth this month. Yes, it is Yeager's track. To my ears this was THE standout track! No other equals it in clarity and punch. Best by far in the categories sound design and mix/mastering. My #1! :clap: :hail: :hail:

Greetings
Ruedi

Congrats to the winner jasinski, photonic, z.prime, Animehaus + H-man (you can be brothers :))and j. ruegg, a great job :tu:

And also: a big thumbs up for all entries with this interesting, hard and incredible synth ... you all get my respect for the amazing work you do with VOPM :clap:

Have a great day
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

Whoa! Sorry I got so ranty there last nite .. Hittin the brandy a bit too hard.
:ud: :roll:

artao wrote:Whoa! Sorry I got so ranty there last nite .. Hittin the brandy a bit too hard.
:ud: :roll:
No harm! Feel free to share the brandy, though! :)

Return to “Instruments”