The Guitar Show (Show yours)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:
DHR53 wrote:Image
Is that a Wilkinson bridge on your tele? I love that look but I'm worried that it will change the sound or you get noise without the shielding of the bridge plate. Have you noticed that?
I just played a tele standard with a short bridge this last weekend. It does sound different, but I didn't notice any additional noise. However, it was a brand new guitar, so maybe the pickups are designed for that now. I will say that the way I hold a guitar based on playing a strat, the lack of the bucket was nice.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

hibidy wrote:haha, I see the UPS truck go ALL OVER this little hood before they FINALLY get here :x
USPS has come and gone... I've seen three fed ex trucks in the complex.

UPS truck shows up and my entrance. Driver gets out with three packages. None are big enough for a guitar to fit. I figure it's still in the truck and he wants to drop those off first. He gets back in the truck and drives off....So still no guitar.

I know that UPS has several divisions even though they work the same store fronts. I didn't notice "Ground" on the truck so maybe it will be on a different truck later today.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

SJ_Digriz wrote: I just played a tele standard with a short bridge this last weekend. It does sound different, but I didn't notice any additional noise. However, it was a brand new guitar, so maybe the pickups are designed for that now. I will say that the way I hold a guitar based on playing a strat, the lack of the bucket was nice.
Short bridge tele's do sound different regardless of the pickups. They don't have that added chime/twang when played in the bridge position.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
BERFAB wrote: My personal theory is that a guitar is a much more "intimate" instrument than a keyboard. To play a guitar, you generally hold it close to your body and wrap your arms around it. It also demands constant detailing-type maintainance: tuning, changing strings, cleaning, oiling, etc. These things add to the intimate attachment. Finally, guitars in general will all have a unique identifying look. In this way we visually relate to them like people we know. And their unique tones give them unique "personalities."

The above don't generally apply to keyboards, at least not nearly to the same extent.

Cheers
-B
You might be in the ballpark, although I know some keyboard fanatics who might disagree. The only time I've felt about keyboards as I do guitars is when playing really great playing/sounding grand piano. I've had the opportunity to do that a few times. A good grand piano has that same connection of enveloping sound and contact. If anything it is greater than when you play a great acoustic. But, you can't really collect grand pianos can you?
I'm a pianist/keyboard player first. I came to the guitar later on in life. I definitely feel an attachment to a good grand piano, but I also feel that I can get almost the same expressiveness out of a good controller with the right soft instrument. And like you said, it's difficult to collect pianos.

Guitars can easily be displayed like conventional pieces of art. I personally find them quite esthetically beautiful and most rooms of my house have at least one guitar displayed on wall to be appreciated.

But, to your original point, I personally don't part with ANY gear. Pedals, old analog rack FX, dated synths, even an old Farfisa - I can't bear to part with any of them. So I don't. Years ago (20 years at least) I traded in an old Ensoniq Mirage for a new Ensoniq ASR10 Rack. I've regretted it ever since. Should've just paid cash and kept it.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Yes. All the guitars I listed were paid for. I owned them so I could have put them in the closet and forgot about them... but it would have been hard to pass up the $5,000 for that strat, then later $15,000, then well... each one became so valuable that it was a speculators game and I really became disenchanted with that whole thing. I love em' for the sound I can coax out of them, that's it. I have so much old stereo equipment that is in perfect condition and sounds great, but no one wants anything older than 3 years these days. My son bought a turntable and he was going to buy a receiver... of which I have 3 and some old integrated amplifiers which I offered. He wasn't interested, because they didn't have a usb port. Like "sound" wasn't an issue? Sigh...

:roll:

:x Great

UPS is now telling me that the apt number was incorrect (which it wasn't) And also telling me I have to contact the seller to correct the situation.

SJ_Digriz wrote:You might be in the ballpark, although I know some keyboard fanatics who might disagree. The only time I've felt about keyboards as I do guitars is when playing really great playing/sounding grand piano. I've had the opportunity to do that a few times. A good grand piano has that same connection of enveloping sound and contact. If anything it is greater than when you play a great acoustic. But, you can't really collect grand pianos can you?
I imagine that the plastic is a big part of it. I once heard a Schimmel Baby Grand that was worthy of the kind of connection you're talking about, I never heard a sound like that before or since.

tapper mike wrote::x Great

UPS is now telling me that the apt number was incorrect (which it wasn't) And also telling me I have to contact the seller to correct the situation.
:x

hibidy wrote:I'm weeping!!!!!!!

I'm mostly really happy with what I have. I'm having an issue on the fender that is driving me batty. It's a 'murican deluxe with one of these newfangled things:

http://www.fender.com/guitar-bass-parts ... ed-chrome/

I don't know if I need to replace it or what but the G string has started where it goes sharp when whammied and pulls back into tune. I know some guitars have this issue but it didn't used to. And I'm terrified of trying techs (god the techs in this area have been FANTASTICALLY bad) and it's not under warranty anymore. Other than that it's a pretty terrific guitar. Sounds and plays wonderful.
Personally, I'd get a new non-roller nut. Plastic, bone, graphite, whatever you prefer. I use pencil lead in the slots to prevent binding unless it's already a graphite nut.
If you don't want to spend big bucks on a set of nut files, take feeler gauges and file sawteeth into them to rough cut the slots. Then, clean them up by running old strings or a small, folded piece of sandpaper back and forth in the slots.

Oh, I forgot this guy ... 59 LP Traditional Reissue. The weird part is that this is supposed to be a traditional 59 setup ... but they made some weird colors. This one has really distinctive driftwood markings under the finish. Big FAT neck and oldschool solid body instead of the lightweight dugouts they make now.

ps let me know if you can see the pic. I tried something new in the link and am wondering if you can see it.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

@nut: Man, that would be costly and would wreck the resale value. This is a guitar that goes for 1750street I'm not going to hatchet it.

@pic: I can see it

hibidy wrote:@nut: Man, that would be costly and would wreck the resale value. This is a guitar that goes for 1750street I'm not going to hatchet it.
It's cheap, non-invasive and will not affect the value at all if you replace it with another LSR roller nut unless you are ham-fisted and damage it when you remove 2 screws.
Around $30 for a Fender LSR roller nut. Over $40 if you buy direct from Fender store.

hibidy wrote:@nut: Man, that would be costly and would wreck the resale value. This is a guitar that goes for 1750street I'm not going to hatchet it.
The LSR is larger than normal sized nuts. Earvana makes a nut that's a drop-in replacement. It's graphite AND your cowboy chords will be in tune. :)

Hmmmmmm. Very interesting. I'll have to email them. Doesn't look like there are screw holes.

Sent! That would be brilliant!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”