What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Real life Enterprise revealed....

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

User avatar
KVRAF
 
2525 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:04 am Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

Jace-BeOS wrote:What about shields against impact with debris? One of the space shuttles' front windows was once damaged by a fleck of paint at the measly speeds it orbited at...


From what I remember from the description of the theory when it was first proposed, the problem is reversed. If you're in the warp bubble, everything's peachy. Anything unlucky enough to get in the way of the bubble's wavefront gets rendered into subatomic sandwich paste.
No longer blank as Frank
Soundcloud
User avatar
KVRAF
 
7917 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced
  

Postby osiris; Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:01 am Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

What worries me the most and I think is the major flaw with this drive is:
If you're expanding the space behind the ship while also contracting the space in front, isn't that just like a rubber band, and when you reach said destination and that band snaps back into place, surely there are bad, unforeseen consequences....
KVRAF
 
1925 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby AstralExistence; Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:14 am Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

lotus2035 wrote:Yeah saw this on the BBC the other day, looks amazing. Oh if only StarFleet really existed I would sign up in a heartbeat and get off this rock for a bit. I suspect "Real-Life StarTrek" might be a tad more boring than the shows. No Klingons, No Borg, no green chicks. :hihi:



i hear getting in to starfleet is not an easy task. you would probably me fixing things like the replicator. i would be a janitor but most likely many other people would want to be janitors, and i would not get accepted
anyway.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2525 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:16 am Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

osiris wrote:What worries me the most and I think is the major flaw with this drive is:
If you're expanding the space behind the ship while also contracting the space in front, isn't that just like a rubber band, and when you reach said destination and that band snaps back into place, surely there are bad, unforeseen consequences....


In the Alcubierre drive, the warping is highly localised. It simply takes advantage of the idea that space can expand or contract far faster than the speed of light. So the front of the bubble is highly compressed, the back stretched. But everything around it stays normal. Once the bubble has passed, the region of space looks the same, although it's probably been deep-fried in high-intensity radiation.
No longer blank as Frank
Soundcloud
User avatar
KVRAF
 
7917 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced
  

Postby osiris; Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:17 am Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

I would gladly be a janitor on the Enterprise. But, you'd probably have to share quarters with a Roomba, and I would NOT wear a red uniform....
User avatar
KVRAF
 
7917 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced
  

Postby osiris; Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:22 am Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

The mileage kind of sucks:
You need 350 kg of antimatter to combine with 350 kg of matter. :
The current cost of producing 1 gram of antimatter is about $100 trillion. But, with completely unsupported optimistic estimates, you might get that down to $10 billion per gram. So, with the most wild-eyed pie-in-the-sky estimates, fuel alone will cost you $3.5 quadrillion — roughly the entire economic output of the world for forty years. Good luck with the Kickstarter!
KVRAF
 
3698 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Postby tapper mike; Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:48 am Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

If we were to travel beyond the limits of our solar system we have some glaring physiological issues to work out first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_ ... human_body
User avatar
KVRAF
 
1898 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America
  

Postby Jace-BeOS; Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:20 pm Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

Gamma-UT wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:What about shields against impact with debris? One of the space shuttles' front windows was once damaged by a fleck of paint at the measly speeds it orbited at...


From what I remember from the description of the theory when it was first proposed, the problem is reversed. If you're in the warp bubble, everything's peachy. Anything unlucky enough to get in the way of the bubble's wavefront gets rendered into subatomic sandwich paste.


This concept is sounding more and more terrifying...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
User avatar
KVRAF
 
1898 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America
  

Postby Jace-BeOS; Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:34 pm Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

tapper mike wrote:If we were to travel beyond the limits of our solar system we have some glaring physiological issues to work out first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_ ... human_body


Yeah, it's just one thing after another that scifi ignores in order for space travel to exist at all. Artificial gravity... right. We don't even understand gravity. Closest thing we could get is rotating space craft segments for centrepital force as fake gravity pressure. But then you have the problem of coriolis effect. The smaller the rotational area, the more extreme the coriolis effect. This is more than a problem for throwing stuff. This would affect walking and manipulating objects. You can adapt to it somewhat, but the effect is different depending on how you're oriented (unless the rotational circumference is huge), and would you be able to function moving from one environment to another frequently? Or what about raising new life in that environment (animals, people)?

It gets more and more depressing the more real science we look at. Scifi kinda loses its fun when we stop being ignorant :-p
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
KVRist
 
90 posts since 29 Aug, 2008

Postby Kevin Deas; Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:55 pm Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

There's a question that's been bugging me for a while. It has more to do with space coming to us instead of us going to space. Years ago there were many "UFO" sightings. Now that cameras are everywhere, whether they be security cameras or the ones built into the phones that EVERYBODY has in their pocket, why hasn't at least ONE "UFO" picture been recorded. So many news worthy moments have been captured, not to mention the millions of viral videos. So where are the aliens now?
KVRAF
 
40153 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:01 pm Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

It's a decent enough question. Bill birnes can explain.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1jgJIDvvG8
User avatar
KVRAF
 
4286 posts since 20 Jul, 2010
 

Postby Sendy; Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:02 pm Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:What about shields against impact with debris? One of the space shuttles' front windows was once damaged by a fleck of paint at the measly speeds it orbited at...


From what I remember from the description of the theory when it was first proposed, the problem is reversed. If you're in the warp bubble, everything's peachy. Anything unlucky enough to get in the way of the bubble's wavefront gets rendered into subatomic sandwich paste.


This concept is sounding more and more terrifying...


Sounds like a car from the perspective of a snail :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp!
KVRist
 
90 posts since 29 Aug, 2008

Postby Kevin Deas; Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:18 pm Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

hibidy wrote:It's a decent enough question. Bill birnes can explain.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1jgJIDvvG8

The look on Bill's listeners faces says it all. :clap:
KVRAF
 
40153 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:29 pm Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

To be more serious, I don't really know but I've often felt that IF we had real ufos someone would have better proof than exists (like a photo).

There is another thread on this. Some serious parts, some not so........some bill. :hihi:
KVRAF
 
11005 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany
 

Postby Compyfox; Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:12 am Re: Real life Enterprise revealed....

Kevin Deas wrote:There's a question that's been bugging me for a while. It has more to do with space coming to us instead of us going to space. Years ago there were many "UFO" sightings. Now that cameras are everywhere, whether they be security cameras or the ones built into the phones that EVERYBODY has in their pocket, why hasn't at least ONE "UFO" picture been recorded. So many news worthy moments have been captured, not to mention the millions of viral videos. So where are the aliens now?


There are recordings. But they are instantly considered "fake!" and " 'shopped!", since it's not HD and shakey, etc.

Or it's the usualy Illuminati vs. Truther and what have you debates in such video threads.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic