Kontakt libraries without any tweakable parameters...what's the point?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:It's not documented because as I said, the command has its pitfalls and behaviours that aren't yet fixed, but some NI libraries use it (Scarbee, Vintage Organs, Retro Machines, for example). Checking those scripts could give you an idea.
Oh right, so is there one particular script that can be applied retroactively to the whole library then? Or does the SD need to do this?

Trouble is that there is only a fixed number of automation IDs available in Kontakt. So if you stack several patches which have a huge number of automatable parameters, you'd quickly fill them up and assignments would start to dupe on each other... not really a good behaviour. This is why it's usually left to the end user to only automate controls which he/she wants to automate, instead of just provide a forest of automated IDs filled.

That, and most devs aren't even aware of the feature, nor how to properly script it in.

aMUSEd wrote:Oh right, so is there one particular script that can be applied retroactively to the whole library then? Or does the SD need to do this?
It's not a single script that can do this... it has to be implemented by the person doing the scripting, for each script slot that has any script loaded into it individually.

aMUSEd wrote: automation ID setup for it, presumably by NI or the sound designer. I very much doubt they did that after they made all those patches as that would be a waste of time, so I'm guessing there is some way to make it part of the process of building the gui script. On the other hand if I open up Sonic Couture's Geosonics, which has hundreds of patches with a more complex GUI, not one has automation ID's. They should not be leaving things like that to the end user.
I disagree completely and Geosonics is the perfect example of why I do. That is an EXTREMELY deep library with patches that vary widely from one another, it's very complex and I don't want any decision made for me. Some of it I want a lot of control of. I have certain CC numbers in mind I'm consistent with, I have a workflow as far as establishing controller lanes in Cubase and I would be changing too many things. For instance Tonehammer has CC numbers someone there likes; I adapted to certain of it as a timesaver but I don't want to have this guy's preferred numbering and then that one's in the next library to be concerned with.

Well I'm thinking more in terms of automation than cc anyway - for me I want to be able to control stuff like this in Kore, right now I can't.

For my purpose, automation is the same, I have my concept of numbers = meaning. Some of the Kontakt factory has things set in the host automation but I'm not needing to enable it in the host for those fortunately.

The other thing which E.D. mentioned, I'll put more than one Geosonic in a multi and if they were doing that and consistent like Tonehammer I have to do things manually to avoid duplication.

Kore is kind of a PITA if things aren't made for it to see it. That's where I started defining: CC12 is cutoff, 13 is resonance and so forth L to R from there and if it's two Kontakt instances in a multi now the second one will be 22, 23... I need to keep things simple rather than a bunch of notes to refer to, let alone remember. So a single CC-lanes preset in Cubase is good for several things, going back to Kore performances.

If you don't really know what you are doing, scripting can be very intimidating. I sort of know, thanks in no small part to advice from this forum (thanks ED), the rudiments (I hope) and I just spent hours redoing a simple violin script into a viola script. You do kind of start wondering why am I doing this? So I can sympathize with the guy who made the libraries, he probably doesn't know how to script and can't afford to hire Evil Dragon.

It sounds to me like all the original poster wants is a few knobs to tweak things like effects and envelopes.

I can say from experience that creating that kind of panel is not that hard to do. Especially if you stick with the default NI panel. Personally I find it a lot easier than the actual work of sampling.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”