What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

What would make you switch to Linux?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

briandc
KVRist
 
263 posts since 25 Jun, 2012, from Italy

Postby briandc; Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:37 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

xamido wrote:Freedom? Last time i check i have freedom to choose whatever plugin i want in windows, from freeware to paidware. If i move to linux i'll be shackled by less competent tools.

And i respect devs decision to keep their code closed. They spent time, energy and money to create their product. If they choose to keep their product closed source, i totally understand it.

And too much emphasis on corporate and capitalism, a lot of audio dev are smaller business that have excellent programming skill, like U-He, Cytomic, ValhallaDSP, Tone2, Camel Audio, etc. You think these people sit on their 20 story office laughing at the obscene amount of money they made and how dumb we are to fall for capitalism.

Linux guy don't understand that not all paid software is the result of capitalism machine. These people i mention can make more money if they become programmer for other big IT Capitalist company, but because of their passion they chose Audio. That's why i reward their effort with money.

You're making as if there's only big company like NI and Waves in audio.

This is an audio forum, don't bring Gates and Jobs here. Their OS have also become more affordable recently. Even Maverick is a free update.

And how is open source a feature for musician? FOR musician, not programmer.

And last, i have only one challenge. Show me the best music that you've ever heard that's made completely in Linux so that all of us here can see the result of all these Linux is holier than thou post.

(Don't go answer with taste is relative, you can show me what you think is the best according to your taste right?)


It sounds to me like you're very happy with Windows, so I suggest that you stick with it. ;)

As for audio, egotistically speaking, I like my own music best. But that's because I have ideas that no one else can understand anyways. Sometimes I don't even understand my own musical ideas. You can see my music in my signature. It's mostly unfinished demo stuff.

There's also a music page at linuxmusiciansdotcom, here: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewforum.php?f=9

Best,

brian
Take control of your PC: use Linux!
amSynth demos on Soundcloud
amSynth.com
briandc
KVRist
 
263 posts since 25 Jun, 2012, from Italy

Postby briandc; Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:43 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

Frantz wrote:
I have terrible news for you. The NSA has been and will continue to read your email.


Probably true. But encryption is a great tool. --As long as it isn't made by certain corporations.

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/windows-8-prism-edition

Not that I have anything to hide. Actually, I like for others to read my stuff. ;)


brian
Take control of your PC: use Linux!
amSynth demos on Soundcloud
amSynth.com
xamido
KVRian
 
861 posts since 1 May, 2010

Postby xamido; Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:54 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

briandc wrote:
It sounds to me like you're very happy with Windows, so I suggest that you stick with it. ;)

As for audio, egotistically speaking, I like my own music best. But that's because I have ideas that no one else can understand anyways. Sometimes I don't even understand my own musical ideas. You can see my music in my signature. It's mostly unfinished demo stuff.

There's also a music page at linuxmusiciansdotcom, here: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewforum.php?f=9

Best,

brian


Okay, good that we agree that the tools on linux is inferior than windows and apple since you are avoiding my answer on the DAW and Plugin comparison. :tu:
GAS
briandc
KVRist
 
263 posts since 25 Jun, 2012, from Italy

Postby briandc; Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:08 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

xamido wrote:
Okay, good that we agree that the tools on linux is inferior than windows and apple since you are avoiding my answer on the DAW and Plugin comparison. :tu:


I don't think you are understanding my posts. There are plenty of good applications for making music in linux. What make them "better" is that they are open source and free to share.

The issue isn't "if you can make good music with linux." Of course you can, if you have musical talent. The applications don't make the music, you make the music.

The OS itself, is another issue, but nevertheless a very important issue to me personally, and is part of why I prefer linux. If you want to use it, you will see that it can do a lot. If you don't want to use it, then anything it offers won't be enough.


brian
Take control of your PC: use Linux!
amSynth demos on Soundcloud
amSynth.com
User avatar
spaceman
KVRAF
 
8172 posts since 9 Jan, 2004, from leroyaumeuni

Postby spaceman; Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:28 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

There is free and open source software on any platform.
Not everything on Linux is free and open source.

The Windows and OSX platforms have vastly more software available for making music than the Linux platform.

Use whatever the f**k you're happy with.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth
lemonsoundman
KVRer
 
2 posts since 18 Jun, 2014

Postby lemonsoundman; Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:09 pm Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

Hi there, newbie here. Loving reading everything linux-based, you guys are a great resource, much appreciated. Am just making the switch from OSX and W7 to linux. So far using Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, but I now realise there are other audio-specific oses I can try.

A few years ago I started using Reaper and Audacity on Mac and W7 for commercial work, alongside Logic, Reason, Live, Cubase and Wavelab - my original faves. On my new linux only machine so far I have got Jack and Pulse Audio working, also using USB 24 bit 4 ch interface and a firewire 12 ch mixer, plus Midi keys. The PCI audio interface only partly working so far. Taking it slowly but for starters, Rosegarden, Ardour and LMMS look very interesting. Luckily now I am not under pressure so am willing to find new ways of working and I have a linux sysadmin mate to help out. I still have fairly recent iMac to fall back on but not continuing to spend along that route or W7 anymore. Also had problems in the past with paid for software anyway. I'm pretty sure this is a no-going-back moment for me. Also managing to play some great games on Steam for Linux.Hope I can learn and contribute to forums as I get going. Cheers.
jancivil
KVRAF
 
9492 posts since 20 Oct, 2007

Postby jancivil; Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:58 pm Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

glokraw wrote:
jancivil wrote:
glokraw wrote:
Arglebargle wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Arglebargle wrote:So we can run Bitwig, Reaper, and Tracktion in Linux, or we can just run them easier and more successfully in Windows or OSX. What a difficult decision.


Yeah, but you're forgetting about the poor third-world folk. How else will they run all that good free software, like bitwig, reap.........oh, wait a minute :scared:


I would think on Maslow's hierarchy of needs having a DAW would be pretty low anyway. who are these third world inhabitants that are clamoring for a bit of dat Linux magic?
It appears the elitists mock and scorn both recycling, and a poor artists
aspirations.
I think it's you being mocked for this disingenuous type of argumentation. I tried to be as generous as I could, but no, you are so driven to be right here you go for this stuff. People that toss 'elitists' like there's a point to be scored, and so glibly, are begging to be mocked, just as much as the man who will not be mocked.

I find "Yeah, but you're forgetting about the poor third-world folk. How else will they run all that good free software, like bitwig, reap.........oh, wait a minute [looks askance]"
to be a truly disgusting elitist attitude. Nothing glib about it.
You're taking yourself awfully seriously, then. It's called a joke. Pokes a hole in your hot air balloon a bit though innit.

The thread started veering into this garbage here:
glokraw wrote:As mentioned earlier, there is a divide between wealthy people
who can purchase, or easily save up for, expensive software/gear,
and those for whom that may never happen, or at least take many years
and sacrifices.
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: really ?? i see the divide (and pretty sure it is echoed throughout this thread), being between those who want to tinker with their os's, and those who want to not have to think about any of that.

wealth has nothing to do with it.
glokraw wrote:Thats only true for the wealthy. :roll:
perhaps there are no poor people in your city/continent?
Which is irrational. People that don't buy your argument are now horrible elitists out of this gobsmacking failure of reasoning. You're making stories up about people now. In fact I'm in the camp 'may never happen, or at least take many years and sacrifices', that really is where I come from socioeconomically, yet I have a really great system up here in the motel. Aaaaand I recycle. So as I said before this is a political issue, you're now featuring your ethical superiority and Ubervirtuous Political Correctness in stark relief to your straw man.

Calm down.
jancivil
KVRAF
 
9492 posts since 20 Oct, 2007

Postby jancivil; Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:11 pm Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

No one has presented disdain for your poor. I grant that I am relatively wealthy compared to some people, but the whole thing looks like storytelling now; we're presented with a kind of absurdity, your poor is a generalization you put to us in order to make your argument for an operating system. IMO that's an insult to our intelligence.
Someone mentioned Maslow's hierarchy of need but I guess that doesn't register, or they're a terrible elitist too.
jancivil
KVRAF
 
9492 posts since 20 Oct, 2007

Postby jancivil; Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:15 pm Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

trimph1 wrote: So. We need to buy into Linux with all it's issues simply for what?
To be in solidarity with the Linux community against the evil empire...

What a joke. more like reverse elitism to me. :?
YES.
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
4069 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:21 pm Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

Image
briandc
KVRist
 
263 posts since 25 Jun, 2012, from Italy

Postby briandc; Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:41 pm Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

lemonsoundman wrote:Hi there, newbie here. Loving reading everything linux-based, you guys are a great resource, much appreciated. Am just making the switch from OSX and W7 to linux. So far using Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, but I now realise there are other audio-specific oses I can try.

A few years ago I started using Reaper and Audacity on Mac and W7 for commercial work, alongside Logic, Reason, Live, Cubase and Wavelab - my original faves. On my new linux only machine so far I have got Jack and Pulse Audio working, also using USB 24 bit 4 ch interface and a firewire 12 ch mixer, plus Midi keys. The PCI audio interface only partly working so far. Taking it slowly but for starters, Rosegarden, Ardour and LMMS look very interesting. Luckily now I am not under pressure so am willing to find new ways of working and I have a linux sysadmin mate to help out. I still have fairly recent iMac to fall back on but not continuing to spend along that route or W7 anymore. Also had problems in the past with paid for software anyway. I'm pretty sure this is a no-going-back moment for me. Also managing to play some great games on Steam for Linux.Hope I can learn and contribute to forums as I get going. Cheers.


Reaper works fine on my pc, so you shouldn't have any problems either. As far as the others (Reason, Live, etc) I have never used them so I don't know. It seems to me though that I've read other posts of people who have got them running fine. If you use VST instruments, many of those work just fine in LMMS. Here's a rolling list of VST instruments that run fine in linux (I've added some myself, and hope to add more in the coming weeks) : http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Tested_VSTs

I'd love to hear from others who know if Reason, Cubase, etc. are already working well..


brian
Take control of your PC: use Linux!
amSynth demos on Soundcloud
amSynth.com
wesleyt
KVRist
 
314 posts since 6 Mar, 2011, from Pleasanton, CA

Postby wesleyt; Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:58 pm Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

The OP asks: What would make you switch to Linux?

I assume the question is either in context of music making or as one's primary OS.

My answer: Mac OS would need to cease to exist, then Windows.

I've been using DOS/Windows since the mid 80s, Linux since the early 90s, and a Mac full-time as my primary computer since 2008.

I'm quite familiar with every platform, as I'm a sys admin by trade. Linux is my ideal server OS; Windows is a fine general-purpose business OS. I'm by far most productive on my Mac.

I've never seen a Window manager in Linux that would be an everyday productive environment for me. Mac OS and Windows are infinitely better for me. Sure, X has its charms, but to me Linux' power is best utilized via ssh.

So what would it take? Someone would need to invest big money in the top-tier GUI designers to design a good window manager and the requisite app design standards, and have the influence to get developers to abide by those standards.

This has only happened on Mac OS in my view, though Windows is not too far behind.

I don't think this will happen in the foreseeable future on Linux, because there is no need to venture such an expense with the hope of a profitable return. We already have two very good client OSes.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.
SampleScience
KVRAF
 
2449 posts since 31 Oct, 2004, from Mtl, Canada

Postby SampleScience; Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:59 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

Coole smooth music made with Linux: https://soundcloud.com/stigmakitten
SampleScience
KVRAF
 
2449 posts since 31 Oct, 2004, from Mtl, Canada

Postby SampleScience; Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:56 am Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

You can run FL Studio in Ubuntu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1oZPfSXjo

Now, seeing this, I'll probably switch!!
User avatar
stanlea
KVRAF
 
4629 posts since 11 Feb, 2005, from Bordeaux France

Postby stanlea; Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:06 pm Re: What would make you switch to Linux?

SampleScience wrote:You can run FL Studio in Ubuntu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1oZPfSXjo

Now, seeing this, I'll probably switch!!


Run, certainly, produce music,I doubt.
You can't always get what you waaaant...
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)