What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

I deleted all my social network profiles

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

5919 posts since 12 Oct, 2008, from Here and there

Postby Sampleconstruct; Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:23 am Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

You could have sold those profiles in the Market Place, man....
KVRAF

1898 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:41 pm Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
KVRian

1465 posts since 24 Dec, 2005

Postby t3toooo; Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:05 pm Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

Some funny answers, :lol:

I try again to be precise about what happened.

I had a Facebook profile for a couple of years but i always had a different name,not my real name.
This name and site was meant to be a artist site but only later i realized that Facebook has dedicated artists pages and my profile was a personal profile using an alias.
So it was wrong from the beginning.

Now,with this profile i was connected to 3 people as "friends" and one friend has a Facebook friendship with somebody from my town.
It happened that i studied in another town hence the connections are almost all people which i don't have contact anymore.

the "people you may know" suggestions are (nearly) all people from my town but i don't have any contact with them either.

Ironically those people are getting the "people you may know" suggestions too but i'm not interested to be followed or giving updates about my live in this form nor i can't remove those suggestions.

When i created my LinkedIn profile i got a invitation from a guy that i like and the context does fit to my current live.

As already mentioned,my Facebook profile was set to only visible to friends.

One week later i got exactly the "people you may know" suggestion (those third party friends from Facebook,not my direct)
Anyway,to make it more complicated i studied in another country.

I'm confident that those guys don't know this guy from LinkedIn and there are hardly any third or four degree contacts possible, this is the problem (if i can describe it like this :hihi: )

I guess those social networks algorithms are poorly written.
That's the reason why i tried to hide myself until the point i want to use those platforms but to give them a direction,which isn't easily possible it seems.

On LinkedIn my profile was set to my real name.LinkedIn unlike like Facebook is also business Platform and for gods sake i rather have three friends on LinkedIn which i can relate to than hundreds of people working all in different fields. :x

it took me a while to realize how this stuff is working,or how i want to use it.

To summarize,i like it much better to channelize my connections and to choose them based on the interests by my real name and only have a few friends.

A artist page is something different,as a artists you want to invite as many people as possible.

So that's two different things.

Those social network sites are meant to present somebody individually but if somebody isn't fitting in a pattern it's almost impossible to succeed because you can't channelize the connections,the algorithm is failing?

Sorry for the long write up but i think it's rather hard to describe.
KVRAF

9253 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from Alto Icon

Postby Aloysius; Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:23 pm Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

When I changed my Facebook location to a prison (on a whim), Facebook were suggesting other inmates as friends. Bad, bad idea. ;)
My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake.
KVRian

Postby t3toooo; Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:10 pm Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

That's interesting. :hihi:

Btw when you changed back to your location (away from the prison) did the suggestion change again?
KVRAF

9253 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from Alto Icon

Postby Aloysius; Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:12 pm Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

t3toooo wrote:That's interesting. :hihi:

Btw when you changed back to your location (away from the prison) did the suggestion change again?

Yes.

Oh btw, I'd advise against saying you work for the New World Order. There are some very strange people out there. :?
My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake.
KVRian

Postby t3toooo; Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:31 pm Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

Aloysius wrote:Oh btw, I'd advise against saying you work for the New World Order. There are some very strange people out there. :?

What do you mean "work for"?

When i got a FB account i saw some of my friends began to collect friends like beer mats and it wasn't even possible to chat a little bit like in the beginning.
So for a very simple reason my personal profile became useless and i couldn't even explain it to them why for a little reason it isn't possible anymore to use Facebook as for what it is meant to be,social network,LOL.

Stupid mistake to use it like this for a personal profile,worst case imo if you mix your personal live and profession.

Otherwise those sites are making sense for artists or for announcing stuff if you're using them as a product platform,like Simon, :hihi:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Patchpoo ... 1551701113
KVRist

90 posts since 29 Aug, 2008

Postby Kevin Deas; Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:49 pm Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

I deleted Facebook and Twitter, but I know I still have a presence out there due to joining sites to get freebies, not to mention registering commercial software. My reason for trying to "kill" my online presence was dating sites. :oops: Most of them are impossible to cancel. If you can't get a date without them you are better off lonely. Unless of course you're looking for a freakazoid. I could tell some real "war" stories, but I sooner forget the whole experience. :dog:
KVRAF

11019 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Compyfox; Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:57 am Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

Jace-BeOS wrote:http://suicidemachine.org/

That actually looks like a fun tool. But sadly, it's only limited (so far) to the most known services (FarceBook, the chirping, old dead MySpace, etc). If it will be enhanced, great.

But for the time being, even fake accounts need "authorization" over here with Phone Numbers and such. So I'm not giving away any data whatsoever, and I have not found a service where you can use "fake phone numbers" or so yet - so no sign up for me at services that need it.

Heck even PayPal is bugging me constantly to post my phone number for security reasons! :nutter:

And yesterday I finally deleted a Click & Buy Account after 10 years of not using it. I then wrote the company to fully delete my data. They told me, that they will keep it "stored for the next 5 years for anti-fraud issues". I was like "WTF is this as of late with all you people storing data?! StayFriends also stored it for up to 10 years!"

And I'm sure that either of these services spammed me with sh*t that I've never even looked at from the corner of my eye. Like... fashion shops. Unless it's the last remnants of my old trainee colleague idiots (they loved to sign you up at random places - just for fun, <insert curse word here>).

Best thing you can do - not to join this game unless it's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

I was also invited to LinkedIn several times. I just don't see a use for it. Who is using LinkedIn or Xing anyway? Or am I just too old and stupid for this?

And even then... who guarantees me that a possible future employer isn't like "you're signed up here and there - sorry, but you're too active on the internet"?! This does happen already over here. I even read a commend (was it in here?) that people can easily search you and find out how many friends you have - this is scary.

I mean... I was recently invited to join Twitter - twice. In the second invitation, people came up that "I might know", that are only connected to KVR and not my private mail. How the heck...?!

Best way to not leave a Web 2.0 presence is to not even start one. Even if you're "left out by the social environment" that way.
KVRian

1077 posts since 6 Jul, 2012

Postby Turello; Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:01 am Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

I'm not anti social, and anyway I think Fuckbook can survive also without Me... :-)
KVRAF

1898 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:42 am Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

The word "antisocial" means "against society". It's a behavioral pathology.

The word we should be using is here: unsociable.

;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
KVRian

824 posts since 8 Dec, 2003, from Birmingham-ish, UK (Tamworth, but shhh!)

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:42 am Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

Well I'm one of the most unsociable p[eople I know and I've still got a fb account!

I do agree that not being bothered by everything being surveilled because "I'm not doing anything wrong" is foolish (what they think of as wrong and what you think of as wrong might be diffrent, and they can easily change the rules around ti so the terms still fit but the reality doesn't), but then I don't see that my fb profile and posts are going to be of that much interest to any powers that be - or at the very least there will be plenty of bigger fish that will be going down and out before me, so I'll get some warning about that. If I was organising against the status-quo rather than just bitching about it, then maybe I'd have more to worry about. In fact I'd probably have a better warning system through that than anything else about when it's time to start living underground, as it were.
If it takes a week each day to walk a fortnight, the number of apples in a bunch of grapes is a banana the size of green.
KVRAF

6965 posts since 2 Aug, 2005, from Guitar Land, USA

Postby RunBeerRun; Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:15 am Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

I get facebook spam in an email account I've never had a FB account, they say do you know so and so, and they mention myself. Duh that looks real
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
KVRAF

2532 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:35 am Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

The_Hidden_Goose wrote:...but then I don't see that my fb profile and posts are going to be of that much interest to any powers that be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e03Jm3yB6g&feature=kp
No longer blank as Frank
Soundcloud
KVRian

824 posts since 8 Dec, 2003, from Birmingham-ish, UK (Tamworth, but shhh!)

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:42 am Re: I deleted all my social network profiles

Gamma-UT wrote:
The_Hidden_Goose wrote:...but then I don't see that my fb profile and posts are going to be of that much interest to any powers that be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e03Jm3yB6g&feature=kp

All the melodic bits of that sound really familiar....think I'm thinking of an Orbital tune
If it takes a week each day to walk a fortnight, the number of apples in a bunch of grapes is a banana the size of green.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic