Waves expiration date

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So what actually happens after a Waves expiration date. Does that mean that's it for the plugin? Am I required to buy an upgrade at that point? I've never had to deal with that type of license before. I'm generally resistant on principle.

It's just the expiration of the Waves Update Plan, not the actual plug-in. So if you have Waves V.9 plug-ins:
- all bug fix updates within V.9 are free, WUP or not
- all plug-ins added to a bundle you own will be added for free until WUP expires. After that, you'll still have bug fix updates for your existing plug-ins for free.
- once V.10 comes around, you have to have an active WUP to receive the V.10 updates for free. V.9 was released march 2012, so if you bought any v.9 plug-ins back then, the past 2 years of updates have been for free.
- When WUP is expired you can renew it at any time you want. It may have been expired for as long as you want. For my RS56, for example, updating WUP is $10
- You need active WUP to be able to sell and transfer your plug-ins to somebody else.
- WUP is on a per-plug-in / per-bundle basis, not per user account.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

And with WUP renewal...
- You Receive a 45-day Voucher
For every dollar you spend on Waves Update Plan coverage, you'll get credit toward the purchase of any product or upgrade.
(The Voucher may be redeemed for up to 50% toward any bundle or upgrade, or up to 25% toward any plugin, off the price at the time of redemption. )

Quote: "Please keep in mind Waves Update Plan coverage is not necessary to continue using the version of the licenses you have.
You only need to renew when you need the benefits gained by Waves Update Plan coverage."

Yeah. If they go to v10, you'll need it. If you want to sell it, you'll need it.

But you can just renew anytime, right?

wup is the reason why i'm not a waves customer anymore.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

hibidy wrote:Yeah. If they go to v10, you'll need it. If you want to sell it, you'll need it.

But you can just renew anytime, right?
Exactly.

Thing is: if you buy today and they go to v.10 eight months from now, you'll be able to go to v.10 for free and all v.10 bug fixes will be free, as well. So WUP also acts as kind of a 12 months grace period.

Not saying everything is just fairy dust and ponies in Waves land, they know how to earn a Dollar or two. But I think this is pretty much an ok business model.

Wasn't it more back when they were all ilok?

More? You mean longer WUP periods or more expensive?

I saw the CLA compressors cheap, but this is a good reminder that updates wouldn't last forever.

I see no reason to complain. Most of the other developers will ask extra money for transfers anyway. Also you have to buy upgrades to next major version. So how is Waves different here?

Actually, if you have any of the bigger bundles then Waves will occasionally add a new plugin or two for "free".

You also get very good support (even phone support!).
No signature here!

True........true....

That was a good explanation... I couldn't really wrap my head around it. I think I get it now.. I got both of mine deep discount and if it stays 9 for a while lools like I won't need it.
Last edited by frankz00 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ha! Now that some of my waves are about to expire I keep getting all these notices.....total guilt trip :lol:

Return to “Effects”