Are you from a musical family?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Surprisingly, no. I come from a family of seven sisters and one brother and none of them went any further than one or two years in elementary/middle school orchestras. My parents didn't play any instruments. I was sorta the oddball of the family, though - I was one of three adopted kids in my family and I'm the only one to go to college (a BA in music theory/composition, and a BS/MS in aquatic sciences/toxicology).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

There are other musical people in my family but the rogue uncle's existence (and my mother's bitterness over not being able to pursue art) scared my parents into trying to suppress and avert my artistic and musical interests throughout my childhood and teen years. End result? I'm a reject from the toxic and wholly inappropriate-for-me corporate America workplace. Maybe I'd have some kind of specialty (appropriate to my inherent traits) to make a pittance of an income on today if I had been encouraged and supported.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

My father was a frustrated musician that somewhat lived vicariously through me. He played trombone for a time and sang in the choir (Catholic).
Other than that, legend has it that his father's father was a field drummer in the American Civil War (Union side).

cryophonik wrote:Surprisingly, no. I come from a family of seven sisters and one brother and none of them went any further than one or two years in elementary/middle school orchestras. My parents didn't play any instruments. I was sorta the oddball of the family, though - I was one of three adopted kids in my family and I'm the only one to go to college (a BA in music theory/composition, and a BS/MS in aquatic sciences/toxicology).
That's a big family! I can relate to you though. I am also adpoted (when I was seven weeks old), as is my sister and neither of my parents play any instruments either.
I met my birth mother when I turned 18 and she is very creative. I also met my birth father when I turned 25 and he is a guitarist. He was the original lead guitarist with Aussie rock band Daddy Cool. When I met him, I was a really big Tangerine Dream fan and asked him if he'd ever heard of them. It turns out he played support for them in 1975 in Melbourne for their Ricochet concert. It just so happens that Ricochet was my favourite album at the time!!!
There's got to be something in our genetics that triggers our creativity!

On my mother's side, yes, though it skipped a generation.

No.....just a dysfunctional one. Does that count?

cryophonik wrote:Surprisingly, no. I come from a family of seven sisters and one brother
Man does that story read familiar. I've got four sisters, two brothers two step sisters and three step brothers. None of them play and instrument.

I've got an uncle that I saw maybe twice growing up that played guitar. Music was banned in our house except for Christmas and then it was only christmas music. If you wanted to listen to the radio you had to do it with headphones. When I brought a guitar home my Dad, wouldn't let me bring it in the house. So I had to store it and practice in the non attached garage
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Yes. My mom has always appreciated music, and enjoys singing. My dad studied opera and sang professionally in a gospel quartet when I was young, touring the region.

My brother is an excellent drummer, but doesn't play much right now. We all encourage him and enjoy when he does perform.

I studied voice informally almost all my life. I was in band in Jr. high and then high school, playing clarinet and then bassoon. Playing bassoon in orchestra in high school really opened my eyes to the world of music; it's where I developed a love for classical.

Pursuing the ability to make electronic music these past few years has rekindled again my passion for music. I'm now trying to learn to play keys and learn music theory, with the end goal of being able to compose and arrange. I'm already making good progress on mixing and mastering.

I am so thankful I have found the hobby for the rest of my life. It's a good time to be studying music.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

My mom was a professional violinist who played in orchestras until she got carpal tunnel syndrome and had to quit due to a botched surgery attempt to fix it. The surgeon really messed her hand up and now it's permanently ruined so she could never really get back to the level she was at. It's kind of sad and I think it really depresses her because i know how much she loves music.
:borg:

When I was a child and got a keyboard...errr...Bontempi home organ...I got the impression that music instruments are only there to practice playing carols the whole year to play them once at Christmas... :cry:

That's why I HATE carols now! :x

I've got two older brothers, one of them is dead and he wasn't musical, but was very good at drawing. The other one isn't musical either, but his son, whose just eight years old, is taking drumming lessons and really enjoying and getting the hang of it. My own son whose nine years old hasn't shown much interest to playing music, though he likes listening.

From my mother's side I've got four aunts and one uncle and most of them have some sort of musical ability; they can play guitar or piano to some degree, but I don't think they do much of that. Karaoke is a big thing though. :P I got a guitar from my godmother-aunt when I was a youth, but never really got a hang of it back then, I'm more of a keyboard player. One of the aunts is a mixed-material artist, mainly combining glass and clay. Two of my cousins play guitar and compose their own music and one cousin is a writer (novels).

I'm not too much in touch with my family on the father's side (there's a aunt and a uncle there, plus a dead uncle) but I think at one time atleast one of the cousins did play guitar in a band. Neither my father or my mother play any instruments, but they do have their creative pursuits as well. Don't know about grandparents' musicality.

So I guess I am from a sort of a musical family, somewhat artistic atleast. The gene's there but no one is using it to its fullness, no one's gone beyond hobby-level (except that one artist-aunt and her daughter, the writer, but they aren't musicians). Everyone appreciates music and no one's playing me down because of my music.

Neither of my parents were musical. Although my father was a piano technician/tuner he didn't play.
There was a Silvertone guitar in a closet, but I can't recall ever seeing anyone play it. I would take it out and strum on it.
Eventually my father bought a Hammond organ and my sister took lessons, which annoyed me because she would practice
when I was watching tv.

I always thought most musicians were coming from musical families, played piano with 5, drums with 8, guitar with 10 and got Fruity Loops Producer Edition donated with 11 including a collection of dozens of hardware synths from their Dad's studio whilst Daddy was working as lead guitarist and Mum as a chanson singer... :lol:

Glad to see so many people with non-musical parents... :tu:

Tricky-Loops wrote:I always thought most musicians were coming from musical families, played piano with 5, drums with 8, guitar with 10 and got Fruity Loops Producer Edition donated with 11 including a collection of dozens of hardware synths from their Dad's studio whilst Daddy was working as lead guitarist and Mum as a chanson singer... :lol:

Glad to see so many people with non-musical parents... :tu:
That said though, there's a bit of a difference between parents who don't happen to play an instrument, or have limited interest in music, and parents who verifiably have close to zero sense for rhythm, melody, or anything connected to music.

I suspect in the latter case (rare enough anyway), prodigies are a rare thing indeed.

By the time I came into the world, my father was not playing any instrument. But I came to look for things in music few would be looking for in any case, out of following his abiding interest in (particularly modern jazz) music. We'd go to buy the TV Batman soundtrack record and he would only buy the one made by its composer Neal Hefti, here is an opportunity to show Neal Hefti arranging for the Stan Kenton orchestra.

He was interested in me becoming a musician but only after the age of 10.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”