What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

urlwolf
KVRist

225 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Postby urlwolf; Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:31 am Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

Kruudster, by xenobioz.

I just wrote a glowing review here at kvr.

this synth has the largest sweet spot of any synth I know. It's almost impossible to get bad sounds. Pretty versatile too. And simple.

The oscillators alone give it huge flexibility. They are similar to Bazille's.

Why is this synth not better known?
Numanoid
KVRAF

8648 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:52 am Re: Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

urlwolf wrote:Why is this synth not better known?

Good question, I have had it on my harddrive for quite some time, but haven't really got into it yet :oops:

It's got a GUI that can be a little bit overwhelming:

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
RunBeerRun
KVRAF

7300 posts since 2 Aug, 2005, from Guitar Land, USA

Postby RunBeerRun; Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:39 pm Re: Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

I'm going to download it again, gui is definitely cumbersome looking, it better be patched to its best abilities. I don't spend much time w/synths that are good, then have like patches w/snare, bells, noise, I just want to see what it's good for.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/RunBeerRun5 -Youtube jams
https://twitter.com/RunBeerRun5 -Twitter rants
arkmabat
KVRAF

2433 posts since 5 Nov, 2009

Postby arkmabat; Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:51 pm Re: Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

Amazing synth. Somebody mentioned it during the "what's your favorite synth company" thread and I rediscovered it.
Sendy
KVRAF

4418 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Postby Sendy; Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:58 pm Re: Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

It's a very cool freebie, and for me the GUI is halfway to being cool, it has some nice oscillator options, but I didn't find it had a massive sweetspot. It had one, but synths like DIVA and TAL UNO-LX have the sweet spot so wide that basically, if sound can make it out with the settings you have, it'll sound good. Kruudster could get a bit squirrely and jaggy with certain modulations, which of course is sometimes just what you need.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp!
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF

8269 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:03 pm Re: Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

When I didn't fall in love in the first seconds, the synth will be lost on my hard disk forever... :shrug:

Maybe I should try it again...
RunBeerRun
KVRAF

7300 posts since 2 Aug, 2005, from Guitar Land, USA

Postby RunBeerRun; Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:03 pm Re: Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

A lot of presets, that's cool. Sound is pretty cool, but a little close to the general Synthedit subtractive sound. Doesn't directly inspire me...
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/RunBeerRun5 -Youtube jams
https://twitter.com/RunBeerRun5 -Twitter rants
urlwolf
KVRist

Postby urlwolf; Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:38 pm Re: Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

RunBeerRun wrote:A lot of presets, that's cool. Sound is pretty cool, but a little close to the general Synthedit subtractive sound. Doesn't directly inspire me...

Can you describe what you don't like about 'the general Synthedit substractive sound'?
ghettosynth
KVRAF

4045 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:49 pm Re: Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

urlwolf wrote:
RunBeerRun wrote:A lot of presets, that's cool. Sound is pretty cool, but a little close to the general Synthedit subtractive sound. Doesn't directly inspire me...

Can you describe what you don't like about 'the general Synthedit substractive sound'?

I can, unless you use your own/better modules, in which case all bets are off, the stock components are used in every other synthedit module, and they're not very good.
urlwolf
KVRist

Postby urlwolf; Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:18 am Re: Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

I think xenobioz uses his own modules.
Ingonator
KVRAF

8029 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:12 am Re: Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

urlwolf wrote:
this synth has the largest sweet spot of any synth I know. It's almost impossible to get bad sounds. Pretty versatile too. And simple.

I have played with a huge amount of commercial, free and hardware synths amd there are several where it is difficult to get bad results.
One example is a Minimoog Model D (had one back in 2005) or NI Monark as a software replacement.
There is a reason why this is still a classic or even what we call a "legend"...

I had a similar experience with Tone 2 Saurus for which i made a huge amount of patches so far.
Very simple to get nice results there.

Talking about versatile synths there are e.g. Tone 2 Electra 2 (former ElectraX), Synthmaster 2.6, DUNE 2, Diversion, Zebra and Alchemy that are amazing.

Also DIVA with the big selection of high quality modules is very nice and quite versatile while it is quite heavy on the CPU (which also depends on how old your computer is).

In Kruudster the GUi does not seem to be very inviting (at least for me). No idea why the filter section is at the lower left corner. Usually the filter section should be more in the center or at the upper right behind the Osc mixer.

Ingo
Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 7 64-bit / Live 9 / Studio One / Reaper / Pro Tools // Blofeld / Pulse 2 /Waldorf + other plugins
urlwolf
KVRist

Postby urlwolf; Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:19 am Re: Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

Does anybody know whether the morf and meld modes are phase distortion?
The manual doesn't say.

Another nice discovery is the arpeggiator. it changes the tone of the oscillator, not retriggering the ENV. Makes it very chiptune-ish.

Still fascinated by this synth. The modulation is excellent. You can mod each stage on the ENV (!). Never seen this before in any synths.
V-GER
KVRian

565 posts since 2 Oct, 2011

Postby V-GER; Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:01 am Re: Kruudster, the synth with the largest sweet spot?

urlwolf wrote:The modulation is excellent. You can mod each stage on the ENV (!). Never seen this before in any synths.

If you mean modulation of each individual stage in a regular ADSR then Vember Audio Surge beats it by having modulation of each individual stage in DAHDSR (delay attack hold deacy sustain release) envelopes, though the modulation is only updated on each note on so you can't do proper LFO modulation of the sustain stage for instance. u-he Zebra 2 has modulaton of each individual stage of the ADSRs via its modulation matrix, and so does KV331 Audio Synthmaster 2. Vaz Modular has an ADSR module with modulation inputs for each individual stage, and so does a few other modulars. You may protest that you can't compare modulars with fixed or semi-fixed architecture synths, no harm meant but just trying to provide some information on synths that provide pretty flexible modulation options. :wink:
"Well, I haven't tried anything yet. I need to research solutions
first."

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments