Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd be pissed right now if I'd spend £2k+ on a P12 to then find out I'd have to buy a P2 to get the multi CV out and step sequencer.

A good starting point for Dave Smith would be to make a new web site. The current geocities geobuilder 90's amateur quality page not only hurts your eyes but is very unorganized too. Moreover their forums are down for about 5-6 days now. Really silly stuff.

Can you save multiple patterns per patch or is it One pattern per patch because that would suck.

Kriminal wrote:He should release a filter unit.

Well well....

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/ ... -eurorack/

This synth looks and sounds very promissing. Tons of options with the connectivity and the multi sequencer. The Pro2 will probably become my first DSI synth. I did not expect that much especially not the new filter designs.

it really sucks, the P-12 and this thing are exactly what I would want feature wise. But, when I played the P-12 it was horrible sounding. This seems the same. Awesome feature set, terrible Oscillators or some other problem that ruins the sound.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Oscillators sound pretty great to me. Not "ruining" the overall sound at all.

It may not be the oscillators ... the P12 just sounds awful to me. It's probably great to some people. Listening next to my voyager and modular setup, it was terrible. It has some of the same sonic footprints that the original DX-7s had with that hiss and grainy sound. No amount of tweaking ever removes that overall sound from any patch. Again, that's my take. I realize that some people like it.

Yea I think the Dave Smith instruments have a terrible overall timbre quality. My friend got a pro-12 and I was able to get some pretty great sounds anyway. I mean.. with a flexible and mostly analog synth I feel like it's impossible to not be able to get some great sounds.. I just feel like in this case they did everything different than I would've. It's like every element is brash and harsh sounding.. ugh. It has a really "corny" sound to me that takes effort to compensate for. A smaller sweet spot.

and also..

why in the hell would you make digital oscilators and not make them wave-scanning?? this completely dumbfounds me. I mean.. it like increases the sound pallet %100

stillshaded wrote:and also..

why in the hell would you make digital oscilators and not make them wave-scanning?? this completely dumbfounds me. I mean.. it like increases the sound pallet %100
true, but I never had a problem with the "features". In fact the opposite. I think the feature set is spectacular. Although I agree that with digital OSC you would think they would have scanning. My understanding is that they will have some form of basic scanning in a patch, if it hasn't already happened. However, with or without scanning, I just couldn't get over the sound.

gorgeous looking synth,i mean...its like too good looking...i would fug it :love:
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

This might be a very cool synth.

I would have loved to see a duophonic mode, so that I could play a solo on top of a sequenced line. In fact, I'd love to see more duophonic synths with sequencers, in general.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:This might be a very cool synth.

I would have loved to see a duophonic mode, so that I could play a solo on top of a sequenced line. In fact, I'd love to see more duophonic synths with sequencers, in general.
Are you sure there isn't? I could have sworn he played 4 note chords.

SJ_Digriz wrote:it really sucks, the P-12 and this thing are exactly what I would want feature wise. But, when I played the P-12 it was horrible sounding. This seems the same. Awesome feature set, terrible Oscillators or some other problem that ruins the sound.
Alone from the sound examples on the net I didn't have the desire to try it out at the store.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”