Upgrade to sampletank 3 vs upgrade to komplete 9u

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just because the preorder price is so low doesn't make ST3 a Kia by any stretch... It is a very powerful and great-sounding product which will surely provide a ton of horsepower for those that use it.

I think the price is really high in comparison, considering all you get for your money with Komplete.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Just because the preorder price is so low doesn't make ST3 a Kia by any stretch... It is a very powerful and great-sounding product which will surely provide a ton of horsepower for those that use it.
I only said Kia as reference to the post making the comparison.
Could have just as easily been a Lexus and an Acura.

Just not a place where car analogies can really tell anything about either one.

But the OP said he already has Komplete so going back there is not the point.
The question is whether to get the Ultimate upgrade or STank3.

As I mentioned,the OP could get Infinite Player Gold and have the additional sounds of STank 2, but for the price, STank 3 presents a good deal at the same price you might pay for one Kontakt library.

I like Kontakt, just not the libraries that come with it. And I find little use of the ones included in Ultimate save the drums and the basses (but only when I layer them with Infinite Player Basses).

To each their own. And the price of both right now is good. Hard choice.

I've gone for Komplete 9 cross grade (from Kontakt 5) and also pre-ordered ST3 from ST2.5. As a keyboards player rather than writer/producer I buy software for instrument sounds principally. I have always liked ST2.5 which has many of the sampled synth sounds I want and upgrade price was only 97 Euros.

And crossgrading from K5 to Komplete 9 for only 220 Euros seems a good deal considering the additional instruments on offer.

Having said all that I probably need to un-register from KVR Forums as I have become an unashamed softsynth slut since joining you lot on here :help:

Good fun though :tu:

Could have been as low as 67 EUR ... ;)

paulbreeze wrote:Could have been as low as 67 EUR ... ;)
Interesting. How?

$99.99 -> http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ST3up-e/
Sweetwater also had a father's day promo where they added +10% if you bought a gift card.

So one had to buy a gift card for say $91, then they added $9.1 to it ($100.1) and one had to use the gift cards code uppon checkout.

I pulled the trigger on Komplete crossgrade myself yesterday. Been wanting to do that for a long time. I think the ST3 upgrade is a decent deal for anyone needing that sort of thing, but there is no comparison to Komplete9 in terms of value at the current discount.
Last edited by Dewdman42 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Depends on what you want. If you get Komplete 9u, you also get excellent effect and extra soundbank. If you just want a good workstation i'd go with ST3 upgrade, cheaper and more diverse than the extra kontakt library that you will get.
musisikamar.com

Can´t believe they offer you 33GB to download.
That will never work for me even though I have a quick line running.

Does is run on Vista?

classic

ps - I didn't do Komplete 9u, just komplete9. Ultimate has a lot of stuff that I already have or don't particularly want. The Heavyocity stuff is fantastic, but overused and outdated already if you ask me. I already own all the scarbee stuff, so aside from a few other little goodies, I couldn't justify that extra money for ultimate. But $199 to get Kontakt updated, plus reaktor, guitar stuff, massive, FM8, Absynth and more...its all stuff I've been wanting a long time and awesome deal.

I think $99 for ST3 ugprade is also gonna be well worth it. I still might do that too. But honestly I don't really use GM type sounds or workstation type stuff. I have B4 already. I have scarbee Rhodes already. Etc.. In a real production I would probably use something specific for the job in each case. But ST3 has a lot of useable content and appears to be much improved software around it. Easy to use for quick and dirty song writing and you just want a bunch of useable bread and butter sounds in one place. ST2 already does that, and I got it for cheap, but every time I pull it out I'm underwhelmed by the sounds and end up closing it. ST3 has upgraded sounds, but let's wait and see what everyone thinks after it comes out.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

paulbreeze wrote:Could have been as low as 67 EUR ... ;)
Damn. To be honest I didn't realise there were other options to upgrading other than via IK themselves. I'll have to do more research in future :dog:

If the Kia sales folks (dressed like mechanics) followed me around, interjecting why their cars are great.. I would get turned off to the whole line, and ask them to leave - so we could compare Ferraris without the noise. :hihi:

Again, I would liken it to more of a Lexus and Acura if you have to put it car metaphors.
There is brand and there are options. Most car models have three versions for options, standard, touring, grand. Kontakt would be the touring, Ultimate moves you up to grand and SampleTank starts you off with grand for the price of standard. But Kontakt's grand isn't all it's cracked up to be and leaves many of us searching the aftermarket parts to customize it.

Kontakt is better if you intend on buying the after market options (non-stock).
Sampletank3 has most of those options already in the price.
However, finding aftermarket options for STank3 are little to none currently and there is a gamble of whether or not that will change.

And besides that, the car analogies really mean nothing.

As someone who took the dive into getting all of IK's synths a while back and who has VI One considering both I like the fact that I can snag more synths in Komplete as well as guitar rig which has some great FX also the reverbs in K9U look appealing. I am wanting to snag the K9 regular now and later on when K10 full version comes out I may snag the ultimate version.

ST3 will be there for me down the road and maybe they add to that with other libraries from third parties which I would think now it is 64 bit and revamped is something more library producers look at using as a vehicle to sell their wares. Getting both is the way to go and then there is no need to discuss matters such as these. I know that will ruin everyone's fun but both are worth the money.

The interesting thing is when are the other guys like Omnisphere, Alchemy, Halion and MOTU going to bring something to the table to create some competition for expanding the discussion on value adds and bang for the buck. If you have both tank and komplete why not consider one or more of the others instead?

I can't see going after Halion MOTU (grossgrade ) or the others at the price they want when I can snag ST and Komplete with so much more to offer included. Synths do more for me than samplers anyway and that fills up most of my wish list for the sounds I want to use. Samplers are more for orchestral and ethnic instrumentation plus traditional real instruments like piano, vintage keyboards, acoustic drums and bass guitars. Synths are otherworldly and great for creating the sounds that make people go WTF but a real instrument with a skilled player is going to also make people say WTF and I want to use both of those things together to make people say WTF.

I would just get them all and pick the best sounds out of each and be happy if I were everyone but that takes a lot of $$$$ to do that so if your just needing a sampler you go with ST it is less expensive and you will like it. If you can afford Komplete it is more but so worth it so snag it and if you have all the synths already you need then get both if not komplete and get the synths you need then add ST3.

I need komplete for more than the sampler so I will probably get it next. But then even after that I have so many more things I need that I probably will wait to get ST3 upgraded. OPX, VB3, AAS modeling collection, Korg legacy collection free with keyboard, GForce minimonsta, Arturias keyboard with analog lab, and this is on my keyboardist wish list I have a guitar players wish list as well far more expensive than the keyboardist wish list.

I want IK's newer amp models more than I do the upgrade to ST3. I will buy those before I buy the ST3 upgrade so I am looking forward tot hem creating an all included bundle like total studio 3 were I can get all the models in amplitube and all the FX in Tracks newer models and the new ST3 and then they have a bargain I will take the plunge for, till then I am looking elsewhere just so they will have the incentive to create a newer more expanded total studio 3 offer. Revalver 4 is coming guys and when it does I suspect that the price on amplitube with all its added models will drop some and they will put everything into packages then.

Return to “Instruments”