What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Waves expiration date

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

frankz00
KVRist

398 posts since 22 Dec, 2009

Postby frankz00; Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:08 pm Waves expiration date

So what actually happens after a Waves expiration date. Does that mean that's it for the plugin? Am I required to buy an upgrade at that point? I've never had to deal with that type of license before. I'm generally resistant on principle.
medienhexer
KVRist

348 posts since 16 May, 2007, from Berlin schmerlin

Postby medienhexer; Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:28 pm Re: Waves expiration date

It's just the expiration of the Waves Update Plan, not the actual plug-in. So if you have Waves V.9 plug-ins:
- all bug fix updates within V.9 are free, WUP or not
- all plug-ins added to a bundle you own will be added for free until WUP expires. After that, you'll still have bug fix updates for your existing plug-ins for free.
- once V.10 comes around, you have to have an active WUP to receive the V.10 updates for free. V.9 was released march 2012, so if you bought any v.9 plug-ins back then, the past 2 years of updates have been for free.
- When WUP is expired you can renew it at any time you want. It may have been expired for as long as you want. For my RS56, for example, updating WUP is $10
- You need active WUP to be able to sell and transfer your plug-ins to somebody else.
- WUP is on a per-plug-in / per-bundle basis, not per user account.
..off to play with my music toys - personal music endeavors, as well as library music production.
http://www.medienhexer.de
sonicpowa
KVRian

998 posts since 3 Jul, 2009

Postby sonicpowa; Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:27 am Re: Waves expiration date

And with WUP renewal...
- You Receive a 45-day Voucher
For every dollar you spend on Waves Update Plan coverage, you'll get credit toward the purchase of any product or upgrade.
(The Voucher may be redeemed for up to 50% toward any bundle or upgrade, or up to 25% toward any plugin, off the price at the time of redemption. )

Quote: "Please keep in mind Waves Update Plan coverage is not necessary to continue using the version of the licenses you have.
You only need to renew when you need the benefits gained by Waves Update Plan coverage."
hibidy
KVRAF

42035 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:15 pm Re: Waves expiration date

Yeah. If they go to v10, you'll need it. If you want to sell it, you'll need it.

But you can just renew anytime, right?
murnau
KVRAF

2695 posts since 13 Jan, 2005, from Deutschland

Postby murnau; Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:26 pm Re: Waves expiration date

wup is the reason why i'm not a waves customer anymore.
“Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more” ― Nikola Tesla
medienhexer
KVRist

Postby medienhexer; Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:36 pm Re: Waves expiration date

hibidy wrote:Yeah. If they go to v10, you'll need it. If you want to sell it, you'll need it.

But you can just renew anytime, right?

Exactly.

Thing is: if you buy today and they go to v.10 eight months from now, you'll be able to go to v.10 for free and all v.10 bug fixes will be free, as well. So WUP also acts as kind of a 12 months grace period.

Not saying everything is just fairy dust and ponies in Waves land, they know how to earn a Dollar or two. But I think this is pretty much an ok business model.
..off to play with my music toys - personal music endeavors, as well as library music production.
hibidy
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:52 pm Re: Waves expiration date

Wasn't it more back when they were all ilok?
medienhexer
KVRist

Postby medienhexer; Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:09 pm Re: Waves expiration date

More? You mean longer WUP periods or more expensive?
arkmabat
KVRAF

2591 posts since 5 Nov, 2009

Postby arkmabat; Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:10 pm Re: Waves expiration date

I saw the CLA compressors cheap, but this is a good reminder that updates wouldn't last forever.
robotmonkey
KVRian

547 posts since 20 Jun, 2012

Postby robotmonkey; Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:05 pm Re: Waves expiration date

I see no reason to complain. Most of the other developers will ask extra money for transfers anyway. Also you have to buy upgrades to next major version. So how is Waves different here?

Actually, if you have any of the bigger bundles then Waves will occasionally add a new plugin or two for "free".

You also get very good support (even phone support!).
No signature here!
hibidy
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:08 pm Re: Waves expiration date

True........true....
frankz00
KVRist

398 posts since 22 Dec, 2009

Postby frankz00; Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:36 pm Re: Waves expiration date

That was a good explanation... I couldn't really wrap my head around it. I think I get it now.. I got both of mine deep discount and if it stays 9 for a while lools like I won't need it.
Last edited by frankz00 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hibidy
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:14 pm Re: Waves expiration date

Ha! Now that some of my waves are about to expire I keep getting all these notices.....total guilt trip :lol:

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects