Who is upgrading to ST 3 and why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bharris22 wrote:Quick question, and I apologize as I am sure that this has been asked and answered in one of the many threads about ST3. I own Miroslav, SonikSynth and Sample Moog, but not a full version of ST2. Am I eligible for a discounted upgrade price? I don't even want ST3, but understand that I need to get it if I want to use the products I have in 64 bit (in other words, there is no "player" version of ST3 that would allow me to do this without buying the full ST3 library) - is this correct?

Thanks!
Miroslav should make you eligible. However, they never clarified if you have to have the full version of it or if the CE version will do.

bharris22 wrote:Quick question, and I apologize as I am sure that this has been asked and answered in one of the many threads about ST3. I own Miroslav, SonikSynth and Sample Moog, but not a full version of ST2. Am I eligible for a discounted upgrade price? I don't even want ST3, but understand that I need to get it if I want to use the products I have in 64 bit (in other words, there is no "player" version of ST3 that would allow me to do this without buying the full ST3 library) - is this correct?

Thanks!
miroslav full not CE (like full ST2 not CE or smaller versions) is good for the upgrade no matter what else you have in your IK account and yes.. ..the rest you wrote is correct.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Thank you both!

I'll wait for the sale. Or group buy. Or the player version (crossing those fingaz).

We are writing to let you know that you have JamPoints in your IK Multimedia User Account that will expire in 14 days on 30 of June 2014. We encourage you to use your JamPoints before this date.
Dear IKMM, I'm still not buying ST3.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:
We are writing to let you know that you have JamPoints in your IK Multimedia User Account that will expire in 14 days on 30 of June 2014. We encourage you to use your JamPoints before this date.
Dear IKMM, I'm still not buying ST3.
LOL
just got the same email and thought the same thing. well, a far less polite version anyway.

To be fair- in the case of comparing Kontakt vs ST - most people, it seems, use Kontakt as a rompler anyways. I had Kontakt, and rompler wise, the workflow wasn't as quick as it was with ST.

IK has really great effects, but Kontakt has many more filters. I'm liking the "best of " effects in ST3 though, and mapping midi phrases to the keyboard.

Yeah - there are more libraries for Kontakt. You could always supplement what you had with sampletank with "powered by Kontakt" instruments as well. On the flip side, a lot of those sampling companies dont' have to the pedigree that Sonic Reality has though. You don't really have to eq the crap out of everything to make it fit in the mix.

But if you need a deeply scripted 6gb flute, you need a deeply scripted 6gb flute.

All though, there are exceptions, I've never been convinced that a larger gb library equaled better anything. One only has to look at the great music made in yesteryear with far more limited resources.

The stunning 3d instrument model as a feature is a joke.

Still on the fence for upgrading. I have Tracks and Amplitube, and while I appreciate that 64-bit costs money - not sure it's a no-brainer for me at this points. I'm not seeing anything truly exciting.

So basically if I want to use my old libraries on a 64bit host I have to PAY for ST3? That's really really bad.
Anechoic Chamber Screaming :o

Well to be fair - the 64bit is wrapped up with a redesign of sampletank both in looks and functionality.

How much new content is actually new vs. the old content?
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

It should be 33 - 8 = 25 gb ca

thought about it

decided against

komplete 9 is due to arrive tomorrow instead

Timman wrote:So basically if I want to use my old libraries on a 64bit host I have to PAY for ST3? That's really really bad.
no, you can bridge your plugins or running a 32bit daw. :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

i think i will not upgrade.

i own komplete 8 and when i saw the komplete 9 ultimate upgrade for 330€ i was very tempted. than i thought that it was really a high amount of money for me and decided not to buy it.

then i saw sampletank 3 update and i began to think about it.
i'm in italy and it would cost me about 100€, tax included. i discovered that also sweetwater sell it at 99$ so i though i could buy it in dollars and spare some money... :) but this is not possible because IK multimedia wants buyer to buy in their own country, so i'm have to buy it from their site and spend 99€... very annoying! :D

i began to think... do i really need it!? which samples would i use? for sure i would not use drums (i have NI studio drummer which is very good, and beside this also steven slate drum). i would not use guitars, since i'm a guitar player. for basses i can use either a real bass or some kontakt samples. i don't like the piano demos, and i have several sampled pianos in komplete 8. beside this i love garritan personal orchestra one. i would maybe use e-drums but, again, i have tons of e-drums samples. regarding synths i have plenty of softsynths in K8 and using sampled synths is not so appealing to me. maybe for pads...

loop and ethnic instruments collections seems indeed interesting but nothing i could not live without.

miroslav would be the only "real" reason to upgrade but i already have miroslav full (from IK total bundle) - not so easy to work with with sampletank 2 but indeed usable.

i also discovered that it will not be possible to edit my own keyswithced patches combining old miroslav programs: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/forum/viewt ... =12&t=8298
that killed my will to get ST3 just for miroslav, even if i know that a lot of pathces were sonverted (but not the full orchestra)

moreover i already have garritan personal and instant orchestra, kontakt 5 orchestral samples and kirk hunter solo strings. do i really need to spend 100 € to get some new orchestral samples? maybe no...

in conclusion i really don't need to spend 100€ to get 33 GB of samples i will never use, regardless of the new miroslav programs.
i would have bought just the ST3 engine for maybe 30-40€. that would be nice and a no brainer, so i could use all the Xpansion tanks more easy.
maybe in the future they will offer it (really, it seems stupid not to sell the engine alone!!), or there will be a free sample player, who knows. or i can also live without it... or maybe a complete upgrade for just miroslav...

for now i will maybe continue to use miroslav in ST2 to support the rest of my orchestral samples...

I do not have SampleTank, but looking at ST3 it interests me.

I could really use a software rompler that is better than Dimension Pro or MachFive2. And I like all of the effects, and the fact that ST3 is 16-part multi-timbral.

But these things bother me -

- Looking at the screenshots on their site, which are 1:1 according to an IK guy on their forum, the GUI looks very small on my 27" iMac running at 2560x1440. And it cannot be re-sized. As someone else on their forum said, they spent ten years working on the sounds, but are still using a GUI created to run on old monitors.

- They do not have a demo version. They are asking people to pony up good money for a software product without being able to try it, and before any reviews are in. Yes, it is apparently at a discount, but they are not saying what the regular price will be. All this appears to be a bit snarky to me.

I am still debating about getting Komplete instead, although it includes a ton of stuff that I just don't want or need.
http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd - 150+ synth demo videos.
DP, Omnisphere 2, Diva, Zebra, Alchemy, Sylenth1
Montage 8, Moog LP, Yamaha MOX6, Virus TI Polar

Return to “Instruments”