What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

The world cup thread!

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

19950 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:06 pm Re: The world cup thread!

Tricky-Loops wrote:IMHO, the sentence "I have been learning for more than..." implies that learning has finished. But I'm still learning English, and I will keep on learning!

But notice that "have" is the present tense. If it had finished, the sentence would read "I had been learning", where "had" is the past tense.
KVRAF

8883 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:14 pm Re: The world cup thread!

robojam wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:IMHO, the sentence "I have been learning for more than..." implies that learning has finished. But I'm still learning English, and I will keep on learning!

But notice that "have" is the present tense. If it had finished, the sentence would read "I had been learning", where "had" is the past tense.
So, is it wrong to say: "I'm (still) learning English since more than 25 years"? It means even now I'm learning English, after 25 years...
KVRAF

Postby Tricky-Loops; Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:43 pm Re: The world cup thread!

robojam wrote:I think what most English speakers forget is that English is an incredibly difficult language to master. It seems easy compared to other European languages as it doesn't have gender specific articles, and verb conjugation is easy for regular verbs, but it has so many idiosyncrasies that as has been pointed out, native English speakers struggle with good grammar.

It's sometimes funny to see someone say something that is unintentionally amusing because they don't have a good grasp of English, but it's appalling to see someone bullied because of it. It's not like English speakers have a good reputation for making the effort to learn a second language...
Let's see how many people here with English as mother tongue speak German as accurate as I do... :P

(Most times it's hair-rising when English speaking tourists try to say something in German... :x)
KVRAF

Postby Tricky-Loops; Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:51 pm Re: The world cup thread!

Where I live there's a poster on the wall with the text: "Big event: Germany vs. USA - come to the XY hall!"

It doesn't even mention neither the term "soccer" nor something about "public viewing"... :lol: :nutter: :scared:
KVRAF

16168 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:08 pm Re: The world cup thread!

Tricky-Loops wrote:
robojam wrote:

So, is it wrong to say: "I'm (still) learning English since more than 25 years"? It means even now I'm learning English, after 25 years...

You would say "I have been learning English for 25 years".
KVRAF

Postby robojam; Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:31 pm Re: The world cup thread!

Tricky-Loops wrote:
robojam wrote:

It's not exactly wrong, it just sounds awkwardly constructed and you'd probably never hear a native English speaker say it.

I have been learning and I had been learning would be very common ways of saying it, with "have been" meaning still doing it, and "had been" meaning doing it no longer.
KVRAF

7611 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:15 am Re: The world cup thread!

There is about 50 million Americans of German ancestry.

So USA VS Germany will be a family affair :D
Racing the clouds home
sjm
KVRian

659 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Postby sjm; Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:53 am Re: The world cup thread!

Tricky-Loops wrote:So, is it wrong to say: "I'm (still) learning English since more than 25 years"? It means even now I'm learning English, after 25 years...

The second form is correct - "even after 25 years, I'm still learning English".

The difference between "since" and "for" in English is that it's "since a specific point in time" and "for a period of time". Because "25 years" is a period of time, you use "for". If you were to say when you started learning English, you'd use "since". For example, "I have been learning English continually since I first started 25 years ago" (where "when you first started" constitutes a specific point in time).

Some languages don't make this distinction, and you use the same word for both. So "seit" in German is either "since" or "for" depending on context. You could however think of the difference between "seit" and "seitdem". "Seitdem" means "since a specific point in time". You wouldn't say "Ich lerne seitdem 25 Jahre English" to mean you have been learning English for 25 years (seit 25 Jahren) - you'd need a specific point of reference for the "seitdem" (possibly in the previous sentence for it to work, as with "since then" in English).

Does that make it any clearer?
KVRAF

Postby robojam; Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:29 am Re: The world cup thread!

Things are a little 'meh' so far in today's games compared to yesterday. Germany are the best of the 4 sides playing right now, but not really getting anywhere yet.
KVRAF

1595 posts since 10 Dec, 2008, from Minneapolis

Postby xh3rv; Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:56 am Re: The world cup thread!

First 10 minutes were pretty scary for USA. We started playing a little rough, a little street, that and the rain seems to have changed the tempo. Would be smart to sub in Hope Solo.
KVRAF

Postby Numanoid; Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:09 am Re: The world cup thread!

So, Clint Dempsey brought his Winnebago trailer and parked it in front of goal :D
Racing the clouds home
KVRAF

Postby Numanoid; Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:11 am Re: The world cup thread!

xh3rv wrote:Would be smart to sub in Hope Solo.

Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon always comes to the rescue, yes!
Racing the clouds home
KVRAF

Postby robojam; Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:11 am Re: The world cup thread!

xh3rv wrote:Would be smart to sub in Hope Solo.

It might distract the German forwards at least.
KVRAF

Postby Numanoid; Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:14 am Re: The world cup thread!

You wouldn't say "Ich lerne seitdem 25 Jahre

All you need to learn to get by in life is really: Dos cervezas!

Racing the clouds home
KVRAF

Postby Numanoid; Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:20 am Re: The world cup thread!

Biggest failures of the World Cup has to be Ronaldo and Rooney
Racing the clouds home
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic