Rob Papen Predator
37%
Native Instruments Massive
63%

Total votes: 67

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Predator 3

pdxindy wrote:Massive has a good sound quality... and a sharp distinct tone. Even though the technical sound quality is good, it infrequently makes me go, oh, I really love that sound. There are sounds I like well enough and it is certainly a capable synth but somehow the sound just doesn't really do it for me.

I've had Massive pretty much since it came out. I hardly ever use it. I could get along with the sound and tweak it into places I like, but mainly I don't like the GUI.
Ha! I love this, my feeling's the exact opposite, it's the one synth that I like programming best. It goes to show how hard it is to make a recommendation for someone else.

Predator. There's something sluggish about massive knob and GUI response for me, which is why i never like any NI synth.
musisikamar.com

mysticvibes wrote:Thats a cool sound elbo, I'd ask for that preset but sounds like you wouldn't have it.. Check your pm :wink:
Cheers. As for the sound ?? Nope. Was over 5 years ago, and i only used it for that one time

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
mysticvibes wrote:Thats a cool sound elbo, I'd ask for that preset but sounds like you wouldn't have it.. Check your pm :wink:
Cheers. As for the sound ?? Nope. Was over 5 years ago, and i only used it for that one time
Actually, just done a little googling. Team dnr was run by reason, and i am pretty sure it would have been xenos dubstep bank that dnr were releasing I can't guarantee it though, nor which of the banks those sounds would be in (though i'd guess one of the earlier packs....1 or 2, maybe)

You could maybe contact xenos to clarify

http://xenossoundworks.com/predator.html

This is pretty much my feelings and opinion as well. I wrote a lengthy review about Predetor. Feel free to visit Reviewer's Revival if you want to check out the article.

Predator Review
http://reviewrevival.weebly.com/reviewe ... e-a-kitten
tehlord wrote:Massive is dirtier, bigger, more metallic and screamy wheras Predator is more silky, smooth and 'analogue'.

You can obviously do most sounds you need with either, but for my money Predator has far nicer FX and a true arpeggiator (Massive has more of a step/retrigger matrix that doesn't play notes).

I wouldn't worry about presets with either. The standard Predator library is about 5000-6000 I think!
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

massive has waaaay better interface, which makes prommaing easier.
dedication to flying

Predator is easier to use, but Massive is much more versatile. All those comments like "digital" "harsh" is just someone's opinion and nothing else. Put any good saturation plugin, if you are not satisfied. Massive has a stereo unison too.

BDeep wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Massive has a good sound quality... and a sharp distinct tone. Even though the technical sound quality is good, it infrequently makes me go, oh, I really love that sound. There are sounds I like well enough and it is certainly a capable synth but somehow the sound just doesn't really do it for me.

I've had Massive pretty much since it came out. I hardly ever use it. I could get along with the sound and tweak it into places I like, but mainly I don't like the GUI.
Ha! I love this, my feeling's the exact opposite, it's the one synth that I like programming best. It goes to show how hard it is to make a recommendation for someone else.
The key word there is programming... Massive is good for programming... but not for tweaking and realtime playing. As I said, you cannot directly modulate a parameter via Modwheel, Pitch wheel, Breath or Expression in Massive.

So yeah, if you mainly program and automate, Massive is fine. If you like to play in realtime with a keyboard, then it is a big hassle.

I mention it when Massive comes up because it never occurred to me that you could not directly assign Modwheel to cutoff. It is easy to assume that every synth has that and indeed it was only after purchasing that I realized otherwise.

Igro wrote:All those comments like "digital" "harsh" is just someone's opinion and nothing else.
That is true... yet when lots of people say the same thing..................

Two totally different synths to my mind.It's only because their both designed to appeal to the same market that people have decided to compare them.If anything,I'd probably say that Z3ta is more of an apt comparison for Massive and kind of occupies an interstices between the two sound wise. Massive has a large number of third party presets,but three quarters of them cover the same territory tbh.It's rare that you'll find something different,like the sets produced by Lotuzia or the Unfinished. A lot,arguably too much of the content,is about dubstep basses edm leads etc.

Massive has a harsh digital edge to it that I used to detest,but having used it on a project with a friend of mine it's something that I quite dig now.Predator kind of goes in that direction but is arguably more of a VA type synth with a more aggressive character than most VA's.Any one using it will be pleasantly surprised by what you can do with it,once you start mixing it up in terms of the mod matrix and various filter types.Having bought it a while back I've been working on making patches for it and I think it excels especially in the bass and arp department,particularly when you assign a few controllers to parameters.It also uses less cpu than Massive and generally fits in a mix better.Anything I've done with Massive starts with Massive.Which is obviously a big difference.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

mysticvibes wrote:To me predator is about beings silky smooth for basses and leads, massive more digital sounding and screaming leads
I have both and recommend you to get both. If you really just want to get 1 synth. I will recommend predator. Like the previous member said Massive is so metallic and very capable in making wobbbby sounds. The modulation feature is pretty strong but it takes time to learn how to operate/program the synth. Predator is an all-rounded synth kind of virus-like synth (but not comparable to Virus's sound). You don't need to read any manual and can start messing around the knobs. It can do warm pads, mad lead, nice arp bass etc ... you name it. It is one of the best VA synths in the market !

pdxindy wrote:
Igro wrote:All those comments like "digital" "harsh" is just someone's opinion and nothing else.
That is true... yet when lots of people say the same thing..................
......... it may be because they have no real opinion or evidence of their own so they are resorting to perceived wisdom......

Massive over Predator for sure but there is a 900 lb Gorilla of a synth used by more top musicians than either one of these called :hail: S y l.... :band:

Orbit-50 wrote:Just so you know, there's a reason why "everybody and their pet snail uses massive". Also, there are way more 3rd party presets for Massive.
You're welcome!

.-.
Everybody and their pet snail uses Arturia synths too and I think they're absolute crap. :shrug:
[Insert Signature Here]

Predator vs Massive is like chalk vs cheese.

Return to “Instruments”