One-Synth-Challenge 64: Swierk by Saltline (Voting Done: Z.Prime Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
drzewo Swierk

https://soundcloud.com/tincantelephone- ... -64-swierk

Created for OSC 64 in Reaper using the following:

17 instances of Swierk

Omniverb
Niveau Filter
EasyQ
ModernExpander
Classic Reverb
MHorse P3
Ferox
ModernAmplifier
ModernLimiter
3 instances of SuperCharger
3 instances of RubyTube

I tweaked the mix a bit and re-uploaded.

Do we not yet have a KVR OSC 64 Soundcloud page? At this time are we only posting our track on our personal Soundcloud page, then announcing the submission here in the forum?

thanks,
Andy

sizemore0409 wrote:Do we not yet have a KVR OSC 64 Soundcloud page? At this time are we only posting our track on our personal Soundcloud page, then announcing the submission here in the forum?
There is. It swaps between 2 groups each month:

soundcloud.com/groups/kvr-one-synth-challenge

(The other is: soundcloud.com/groups/kvr-one-synth-challenge-1)

thanks, z.prime!

This track is made up of 24 instances of SWIERK, spread across 4 movements. I was quite pleased with the presets, which for the most part needed little or no tweaking to get the sounds I wanted. The main exception was in the 3rd movement, wherein for the Lead instrument I made significant adjustments to preset 21, making it a pure square wave, reducing it to a single voice and turning off Oscillator 1.

The presets I used are #4, 7, and 8 (all bass), 21, 22, and 24 (all Leads), 44, 45 and 48 (pads), 55, 64, and 66 (FX), 67 (snare), 71 (Hats), 72 (Kick), 82 (Hangdrum), 101 (Bell Dots), 102 (Arp Glass Lead). Many thanks to Kraftraum for a number of these presets.

Here are the free effects I used in my VST host (LMMS):
TAP Sigmoid Booster
DensitymkII
LADSPA Echo Delay Line (max delay 1 second --- different timing to each channel)
LADSPA Echo Delay Line (max delay 0.1 sec --- different timing to each channel)
TAP Stereo Echo
Stock panning in the automation editor
Volume automation editor

And I used these free effects in Audacity:
mda Round Pan
ADopplerEn (a panning effect which I really like)
Adjustable Fade
Reverb (multiple settings)
Amplify
Echo
Notch Filter
Hard Limiter
Studio Fade Out

I created some interesting sounds in Audacity by using the ADopplerEn panning effect to treat a mash-up of presets 21 & 64 (appears in 1st and 4th movements), and also presets 55 & 102 (appears in 3rd movement).

I hope you enjoy my track, which I have named “Journey to the Center of the Swierk”.
https://soundcloud.com/a-sizemore/sizem ... the-swierk

Hopefully the final tweak and upload after some good advice from z.prime and DoctorBob!

sizemore0409 wrote:Notch Filter
Isn't this against the rules?

Thinking about entering this as the OSC have intrigued me in the past but I never really had the time, one quick question do you guys find it easier to write your songs while using the synth or to write the song first then start working on the synth? I think writing a rough sketch/outline of a track on my typical samplers/synths of choice then moving the composition to Swierk would provide a good result
http://drunk3nj3sus.blogspot.com/ < My blog
Free samples, presets, etc.

Writing the song first is probably brilliant; I've never thought of that. My interest is always first and foremost synths, and songwriting a distant second. I also never find it easy nor ever place well in the results, and poor songwriting is definitely part of that. The only caveat is that it is easier to play to the synths strengths than to wrestle the synth into generating a sound that matches your idea, so you might want to spend some time with Swierk up front, then write, then come back to it. Just my 2 cents.

^thanks that's good advice, I use synths quite often for leads, basses, & pads but I rarely write a whole song with strictly synths unless it's a chiptune remix or something so it'll be something a lot different to me

what made me really wonder is one of the joints from the last challenge that really impressed me was a smooth/funky clavinet based track, it would've sounded good with synths, samples, or a mix of both
http://drunk3nj3sus.blogspot.com/ < My blog
Free samples, presets, etc.

My entry
https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/tautology

21 Instances of Swierk
Reaper (Work PC (shhh) done at lunchtimes w\headphones) - Reaper's automation is :tu: !!
ReaEQ, Camel Crusher, Tal Reverb2, Tal-Dub,Epic Verb, ReaComp, ReaDelay, Signaldust 4L, AD Rough Rider

peace

drunken jesus wrote:Thinking about entering this as the OSC have intrigued me in the past but I never really had the time, one quick question do you guys find it easier to write your songs while using the synth or to write the song first then start working on the synth? I think writing a rough sketch/outline of a track on my typical samplers/synths of choice then moving the composition to Swierk would provide a good result
I'm certainly less of a songwriter and more of a noisemaker, but I'd suggest making a track with the synth from the get-go. The only thing is that people have different desires and skill levels when it comes to programming synths. If you like designing sounds, then definitely start with the synth, get some decent sounds and make a track out of it. If you're not good at designing sounds, this contest is a way to improve tremendously at it.

But really, this contest is about making an awesome track with the synth, which includes all aspects: musicality/composition, sound design, mixing/mastering, and some degree of uniqueness. A great song does well in all these categories; a great composition may still sound like crap if the sound design is poor or doesn't match what you're going for with something composed with a different set of sounds. And the overall polish of the track is important, too - it can take a masterpiece and make it sound tiny or otherwise undesirable.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Look forward to hearing something if you decide to enter! :)

drunken jesus wrote:Thinking about entering this as the OSC have intrigued me in the past but I never really had the time, one quick question do you guys find it easier to write your songs while using the synth or to write the song first then start working on the synth? I think writing a rough sketch/outline of a track on my typical samplers/synths of choice then moving the composition to Swierk would provide a good result
Everyone seems to approach that differently and maybe that's one reason why there is so much variety in OSC! Check out the track that doctorbob made for OSC VOPM last month, titled "The Greek Gods". He composed the orchestral piece before he built the synth patches. After the VOPM Contest was over, he posted a version of it on the forum where he used a modern orchestral sample set on the same sequence. He might have some insight. I personally love building synth patches and enjoy having the sounds of the synth inspire the music. In fact this month, I'm even working on a more live improvised recording, instead of sequencing and overdubbing tracks. One thing you might find about these contests is that it is a great place to experiment with different ideas and try new things. I'd love to hear what you come up with!

I'll add. Electronic music has a lot to do with timbre, so composing using sounds that won't ultimately be in the piece seems odd to me and a lot of indirect work. Usually the sounds propel were the piece goes. What you already have sound-wise in a track dictates what you can do next. So, if I write something on the piano, the piano usually end up in the track. When I try it with a different sound it just doesn't work. That's just me though.

Return to “Instruments”