What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

User avatar
KVRist
 
182 posts since 20 Jul, 2009

Postby KTlin; Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:54 pm Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

Hi guys

I'm still looking for a complex physical modeling synth that can do what Sculpture can and has a similar structure/workflow as Sculpture. But it seems that for PC there's nothing even close to that. And I won't buy a Mac only so I can use Sculpture. :scared:

So far I tried/used:
- AAS Tassman (which is quite potent but has a completely different structure/workflow and I don't like it),
- NuSofting Modelonia, AAS Chromaphone, Madrona Labs Kaivo, and NI Prism - all of these are interesting and useful, but way more limited than Sculpture (IMO)

Did I miss anything?
KVRAF
 
2063 posts since 17 Jan, 2008
 

Postby michael2; Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:37 pm Re: Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

AAS string studio?
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/
User avatar
KVRAF
 
19380 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net
 

Postby aMUSEd; Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:45 pm Re: Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

Reaktor's Steampipe and Modelonia probably come closest structurally but still a lot more limited
User avatar
KVRist
 
182 posts since 20 Jul, 2009

Postby KTlin; Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:27 am Re: Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

Thanks guys.
It looks like I should probably start saving money for a Mac. :roll:
User avatar
KVRAF
 
19380 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net
 

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:35 am Re: Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

At least you wouldn't need to pay for Logic as it comes with Mainstage too now.

tbh it was one of my main reasons for going Mac too (along with Metasynth).
User avatar
KVRAF
 
4502 posts since 24 May, 2002, from Bobo-dioulasso\BF__Geneva/CH
 

Postby Krakatau; Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:37 am Re: Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

KTlin wrote:Thanks guys.
It looks like I should probably start saving money for a Mac. :roll:


Not necessarily, i think that using reaktor's physical modeled ensemble both on factory and third-party ensemble you should cover a wide range of virtual acoustic models that covers a vast range of sound that certainly rivals with what sculpture can offer, IMO...
User avatar
KVRist
 
182 posts since 20 Jul, 2009

Postby KTlin; Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:02 am Re: Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

Krakatau wrote:i think that using reaktor's physical modeled ensemble both on factory and third-party ensemble you should cover a wide range of virtual acoustic models that covers a vast range of sound that certainly rivals with what sculpture can offer, IMO...

I'm not at all familiar with Reaktor. What "physical modeled ensemble" you're talking about?
User avatar
KVRAF
 
19380 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net
 

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:24 am Re: Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

They are all very good but I see the problem, in Reaktor the possibilities are huge but in terms of individual ensembles you would have to use several to get close to what Sculpture does in one synth and have nothing like its morphing capabilities. I managed to get something like this by combining Steampipe and Modelonia with Kore to create morphing versions but now I have Sculpture I can see how much I was missing. There is nothing really like it.
User avatar
KVRist
 
382 posts since 10 Jun, 2011, from Detroit

Postby djshire; Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:48 pm Re: Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

I thought Reaktor Prism was physical modeling....?
User avatar
KVRAF
 
3864 posts since 24 May, 2009, from south park....DUH !!!

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:00 pm Re: Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

steampipe is a great ensemble, and prism looks fine also. but sculpture is just........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvCeGSYhI1U
KVRAF
 
8602 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds
 

Postby pdxindy; Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:50 pm Re: Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

Sculpture is unmatched...

AAS String Studio is perhaps the next best option...
KVRer
 
5 posts since 7 Jan, 2009

Postby DJDJ; Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:17 pm Re: Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

^ I disagree about Sculpture being unmatched. I think it's a "grass is greener" thing. As a mac user, I feel that way about Image LIne's Harmor.

But, I've been a logic/Mac guy for a long time now. More recently, I've been using Maschine as my main DAW, which means that any plugins I want to use from Logic need to be replaced with something similar. So I replaced sculpture for those rare times that I use it with AAS Chromaphone, and I'd say it's a pretty fair swap. In a lot of ways, I think Chromaphone is better even. It does strings, pads, drones & efx as well as anything I've heard come out of Sculpture. Don't be put off by the "percussion synth" marketing. It can do much more than that.

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/chromaphone/overview/

Reaktor's Steampipe is nice too. Prism too. I have both loaded up in Maschine as plugins. Definitely fairly comparable options for Windows users, perhaps Prism less so since it's an additive synth, but there's plenty out there. Don't fool yourself, Sculpture isn't really any better than the rest of the pack. Each has their uniqueness, but it's not as stark a difference as it might seem
KVRAF
 
8602 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds
 

Postby pdxindy; Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:42 pm Re: Still nothing like Logic's Sculpture for PC?

DJDJ wrote:^ I disagree about Sculpture being unmatched. I think it's a "grass is greener" thing. As a mac user, I feel that way about Image LIne's Harmor.

But, I've been a logic/Mac guy for a long time now. More recently, I've been using Maschine as my main DAW, which means that any plugins I want to use from Logic need to be replaced with something similar. So I replaced sculpture for those rare times that I use it with AAS Chromaphone, and I'd say it's a pretty fair swap. In a lot of ways, I think Chromaphone is better even. It does strings, pads, drones & efx as well as anything I've heard come out of Sculpture. Don't be put off by the "percussion synth" marketing. It can do much more than that.

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/chromaphone/overview/

Reaktor's Steampipe is nice too. Prism too. I have both loaded up in Maschine as plugins. Definitely fairly comparable options for Windows users, perhaps Prism less so since it's an additive synth, but there's plenty out there. Don't fool yourself, Sculpture isn't really any better than the rest of the pack. Each has their uniqueness, but it's not as stark a difference as it might seem



When I said unmatched, I mean Sculpture has much more editability that Chromaphone or String Studio.

For example, the morphing. Cannot do that with the AAS stuff. Not even close.

Besides the morphing, Sculpture just has far more modulation possibilities. You can modulate many parameters with a variety of modulators. The AAs synths are not very modulatable in comparison.

There are things I like better about the AAS stuff too...
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments