Waves Bass Rider - opinions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone use it much? What kind of material.
I guess I like a really big sound, lots of spectrum filled. Looks like this might help me tame some levels, easily, but Maybe I should just ride the faders myself? Master the use of compression?

I confess I have exited the creative stage and entered lazy.
..what goes around comes around..

I hate this type of plugins.It's just toy...You can do it with compressors.It's hard to get same result but you can learn and understand "dynamics".

Use traditional ways for mixing.Play with knobs and feel sound before processing it.

TO BE HUMAN OR TO BE HUMANOID!

Are you dealing with recorded "real" bass ?

That's a thing where I could see a use for bass rider, but for programmed synth-basses you have all the level control already at the "creating" stage (envelopes, velocity) so I wouldn't see much use for it.

I like it. I use it for the bass stuff I record. The key is to listen to it in a mix.

I have it in my bass gtr. fx chain.
Works well, a little adjustment & sometimes you don't need to use a compressor at all.

Seems to be better attuned to bass guitar over synth bass.. esp basslines played without much movement..

B.A.Tech. wrote:I hate this type of plugins.It's just toy...You can do it with compressors.It's hard to get same result but you can learn and understand "dynamics".

Use traditional ways for mixing.Play with knobs and feel sound before processing it.

TO BE HUMAN OR TO BE HUMANOID!
Use it all the time on bass guitar and a compressor will not give you the exact same result for obvious reasons. If you really want to spend hours automating volume then go ahead, this will get you there most of the time, also Mike Shipley was a great proponent of leveling before a compressor so as to use it for its sonic characteristics. This works great for that, Bass Rider into a CLA 76 is a great combo.
Last edited by woodsdenis on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I like that idea (though for me it's NI's dbx160) Maybe I'm just wacky, but seems like when you do that the comp can add more character w/o the transients being squished.

hmm, thanks, ladies & gents.
My conclusion is that I am indeed lazy and need to suck it up and adjust the levels otherwise instead of outsourcing to Waves.

Bass Rider doesn't have anything to do with compression...It wasn't created to replace compression at all.

All it does is to ride the volume fader automatically, so the bass tracks can maintain an even volume level in relation to all other tracks, all across the mix...In other words, it automates volume automation.

Anyway, I don't use it very much but I've been playing with its brother, Vocal Rider. It's a very useful plugin. It isn't perfect, but you can write down the automation to your DAW's automation track and edit it for better results.

It's a time saver, that's for sure.

ouroboros wrote:hmm, thanks, ladies & gents.
My conclusion is that I am indeed lazy and need to suck it up and adjust the levels otherwise instead of outsourcing to Waves.
Hey if it saves time, I wouldn't say it's "lazy" to use it.

Bass Rider is indeed a time-saver -- it's especially good on DI bass guitar -- and at its current sale price (today with the $50 coupon) it's a no-brainer, IMHO.

Cheers,
Eddie
The future exists in all directions.

You're NEVER going to get it as good a price as JRR shop has it now.

http://blowout.jrrshop.com/waves?dir=as ... rder=price

So, when you log in, use that price (remember NO CAT says "no" to seeing the price w/o logging in :hihi: ) then you can get 50 bucks off by generating that code and walla, bass rider for less than you'd ever expect. You'll not ever even find one in the marketplace that cheap.

love jrrshop, thanks!

So......did you change your mind? :hihi:

No I am resisting :lol:
If I'm honest Im looking for a distraction.
(and really more interested in MaxxBass !)

Return to “Effects”