Jamstix 3.6 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Jamstix

Looks like a ton of great stuff:
  • added OSX version
  • added 64-bit AAX format (Windows & OSX), RTAS no longer supported
  • added 32-bit and 64-bit AU format (OSX)
  • implemented MIDI drag-&-drop to host
  • CTRL-Drag song name->song export
  • CTRL-Drag part name->part export
  • CTRL-Drag bar icon->bar export
  • MIDI files can be dragged from Explorer onto free brain space to create a groove importer for the file
  • improved audio jam behavior and response control
  • improved import dialog for groove importer and MIDI import menu items
  • added 400 grooves from Jamstix 1 as 'Jamstix 1' styles
  • added 201 fills from Jamstix 1 to 'fills' folder for use with 'Load Fill' (bar menu)
  • added link to PDF manuals to song menu
  • added BFD3 kits and key maps
  • added GM MIDI ONLY kits
  • improved save times for projects with large number of parts
  • added 'MIDI OUTPUT ONLY' option to 'Add To Kit' context menu
  • Jamcussion kit load dialog now excludes 'Empty' kits and shows contents of 'Jamcussion' folder directly
  • 'Add Cymbal Wash' now uses Crash #2 instead of Crash #4
  • AUTO SAVE now defaults to new mode EXIT, which automatically stores a "LAST" revision point on exit
  • revisions filter is no longer affected by song name changes
  • added Expand/Collapse buttons to kit load dialog
  • audio jam settings are now saved globally
  • added 'Bounce' option if audio rendering issues are encountered during bounce, mixdown or freeze in the host
  • added options to limb menu to copy/paste limbs
  • added 'Add Groove To Style' to bar menu as fast way to add hand-edited groove elements to an existing style
  • added 'Set All To MIDI Output Only' to kit context menu
  • added 'Remove All Offset Assignments' to kit context menu
  • added option to change PC numbers in liveloop mode via variable LiveloopsPatchOffset
  • holding CTRL while clicking the bar editor trash can causes locked notes to also be deleted
  • MIDI input is now passed-through to output to support chained plugins
  • when in liveloop auto-advance mode, 'Big Time' window will display appropriate message
  • new INI parameter 'MIDICC_Offset' sets controller number to trigger song offsetting
    new INI parameter 'MIDICC_OffsetZero' sets controller number to reset song offset
  • song builder can now use Jamstix 1 RDM kits
  • double-clicking bar editor to create a note now also selects it
  • Fill Generator: KICK->CYMBALS are now produced over any existing kick note, not just those created by the SINGLE kick setting
  • Fill Generator: added KICK->PRIO control to adjust priority of KICK->CYMBALS notes produced
  • added options to song menu to set and reset a song offset (useful for projects with multiple linear takes)
  • resets hihat opening override when host starts playing
  • RDM kits (Jamstix 1) are now supported again in 'Load Kit' dialog
  • song sheet now supports 'double-click->Change Style' and 'double-click->Change Player' in their respective modes
  • added kit menu option 'No MIDI Output For Internal Sounds' (useful when combining internal sounds with 3rd party plugins)
  • fixed wizard song list logic when using subfolders
  • fixed default song wizard reverting to default later unless style is changed
  • fixed fill controller mappings not loading/saving with map file
  • fixed incorrect hints on some jamming options
  • fixed status line not showing values when adjusting velocity or HH openness via mousewheel in bar editor
  • fixed MIDI files being locked after import
  • fixed error in hihat foot option of the 'Tom Groove' brain element
  • fixed brain scroll setting being retained when switching brain aspect
  • fixed bar/beat display when playing before song zero offset point
  • fixed errors when song looping and liveloops are both enabled
  • fixed issue with limited layers loading after previewing a kit
  • fixed issue with virtual kit layout when the snare is removed
  • fixed any remaining issues with host close/unload crashes
  • removed warning message when loading projects with Jamstix in drum module mode
  • fixed liveloop program change requests not working
  • fixed 'revisions' folder not being created
  • fixed 'Add Part->Ending' placing new part in the wrong place
  • fixed sub-level display in kit tree view
  • added mixer menu
  • 'Clear Song' now properly resets the brain display
  • fixed limb menu not working in Jamcussion mode
  • various minor fixes

I have the demo, pretty cool! :arrow: right turn only on red
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

So who's going to be the guinea pig and run the OSX AU through its paces in Logic? How does it compare in Logic to the built-in Drummer? I mean, sure, I could download the demo myself (and probably will this weekend), but other opinions are always useful.

Jamstix is a damn good drummer, and once you get used to how to program it, you can get some pretty amazing results. Even if you have existing MIDI loops it does a great job at improvising around them and generally adding some groove to them.

I was a beta tester for Jamstix OSX and I can say that it works very well. I did use it both in Logic and DP8. They did use some kind of wrapper, FYI, so an extra executable runs in the background, similar to some 32bit wrapper solutions like 32 Lives. But it has been working great.

There is no comparison between jamstix and any other product on the market, including Logic's built in drummer. Jamstix does not play back midi loops. It composes drum parts on the fly, using algorithms that model styles and specific player habits, and allows you to tweak many parameters that drive that algorithmic process. The results are very realistic and very nuanced. Some famous drummers were modeled, and a simple drum part can take on a certain sense of style that will sound consistent even as the drum part changes a bit, and many nuances will be added to the drum part which will make it sound non-repetitive, yet consistent at the same time, just like a real drummer would do. Its an incredible product and there is nothing else on the market does anything like this. It has more of a learning curve then some of the other solutions though.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

I don't know what happened to Jamstix... I used to love it and use it all the time. Slowly over time, with each version it got clunkier and buggier. I loaded up an old project the other day and it just didn't make any sound at all. I'm sure it did when I last used it in that project. Why doesn't it work? I didn't feel like troubleshooting. It feels like I'm always having to mess with it to get it working... Part of the problem is the UI is needlessly ugly and confusing. Part of me is curious to try the latest version... other parts of me would just as soon program out my own drums and not waste the time.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I can't disagree with the UI - it's probably my least favorite UI of any tool I have.

However, Ralph has always been great at addressing bugs, and fixes them very quickly. Are you sure it's not just because you haven't applied updates?

its a quirky GUI no doubt, but so what, it still does ingenious thing that no other product can do. And I agree, Ralph is the man!

I can forgive it the clunky UI as the rest of it more than makes up for that. I just hope one day the UI gets an update

GM MIDI ONLY kits - that's very useful!

what are you talking about. Jamstix is not limited to neither GM nor midi only.

bharris22 wrote:GM MIDI ONLY kits - that's very useful!
Gné?!?

I bet that you have never used it, nor even tried it!

Just take a look at the specs (at least, in the lack of trying or using it)...
http://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix3_specs.html

Or simply this part of the Overview page:
High Quality Sounds
  • built-in high-quality drum sample player with multiple velocity layers and controllable ambience.
  • alternate samples remove machine-gun effect by varying sounds at the same velocity.
  • sophisticated layering creates realistic sound accumulations based on drum types.
  • 8 stereo outputs and an extensive sound library (1.3GB) that can be expanded via expansion Paks.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I had quite a time getting the demo to produce sound, mainly I think a lot of those drumkits aren't even there. Total of zero presets, that didn't make it any faster.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

BlackWinny wrote:
bharris22 wrote:GM MIDI ONLY kits - that's very useful!
Gné?!?

I bet that you have never used it, nor even tried it!

Just take a look at the specs (at least, in the lack of trying or using it)...
http://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix3_specs.html

Or simply this part of the Overview page:
High Quality Sounds
  • built-in high-quality drum sample player with multiple velocity layers and controllable ambience.
  • alternate samples remove machine-gun effect by varying sounds at the same velocity.
  • sophisticated layering creates realistic sound accumulations based on drum types.
  • 8 stereo outputs and an extensive sound library (1.3GB) that can be expanded via expansion Paks.
Oy - I have used Jamstix extensively. As it happens, until this update Jamstix did not output to a strict GM drum mapping - all maps were for commercial products such as EZDrummer, AD, BFD, etc., each of which have their drums mapped slightly differently. After going back and forth about this with Ralph earlier this year (I can confirm what everyone here has said, BTW, that Ralph's customer service is fantastic), he created some special GM drum maps at my request. It looks like he has now included them in the official product for everyone to enjoy in the event you are faced with a drumkit mapped to GM.

That is correct! And you can create your own drum maps for sending midi out to anything else they did not provide already.

jamstix has extensive sample paks also which are included and some extremely affordable add on packs as well. The sounds are quite decent actually when processed in a DAW mixer appropriately, they actually sound very live like what you might expect your drummer to sound like in person. However if you really want that big processed drum sound, its easy enough to use Steven Slate drums as sounds or whatever you want, Toontrack, Addictive Drums, etc. But you don't have to, the included samples are very usable and there are numerous different snares, kicks and other parts you can use.

Also it has a percussion section with both sounds and intelligence for creating ethnic percussion grooves, that might be an addon pak, I can't remember now. I bought every single addon pak they have because they are super affordable and lots of them include new drummer intelligence too.
Last edited by Dewdman42 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”