Suger Bytes releases Egoist

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Egoist

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Drag and drop is possible, I just tried it with Reaper 4.

I love the egoist slicer and I wish it was available as a separate plugin (for reduced price or course). Egoist seemed like it was a bit too complicated for me first. After I spent 30mins with it I realized how good the user interface is and how easy it is to use.

It's a little bit disappointing that egoist only have a single pair of stereo output.

Does anyone know if the samples are saved with the project? It's a must have feature for me as I really hate to see any kind of "missing samples" notifications. I can't try how it works because the demo cannot load user patches. Perhaps someone with the full version could try importing a sample and move it into another location to see if the sample is saved with the project?

This is really fun to mess about with.

+1 for having a GUI big enough for me to see.

I'll have to evaluate it more before I buy but $99 is a nice price.

awol9000 wrote:...but $99 is a nice price.
It is - much nicer than 99 euros / $135.

Stupid EU taxes :(
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Careful -- Sugar Bytes is usually pretty solid but I feel gimped after buying this. Should have waited for patches.

1 - Bug: Egoist doesn't sync w/ your host. It's tempo matches, but unlike every other sequencer plugin on the market -- it doesn't start/stop in sync with host. Only to it's own play button. This means it's useless to play/slice loops in time with your sequencer.

2 - Bug: Egoist advertises playing slices with your keyboard. But you can't. The same keys that trigger slices ALSO switches the patterns. DOH!!

3 - Wish: multi-out! The bass and beat sequences that go along w/ the plugin should output to their own channels. One "could" bounce each piece separately, IF it were synced w/ the host :) But it would be much more powerful this way.

This is more like version 0.8. Those 2 bugs make it unusable except as a fun idea generator in stand alone mode.

Sendy wrote:First mess around with the demo. Decided to record it.

http://soundcloud.com/sendy/ego-acid-gear-demo

It's quite fun. This is a "Hammerhead" for the next generation, I suppose.
:D Reminds me of Tuareg. Except not as fun...

solar28 wrote:2 - Bug: Egoist advertises playing slices with your keyboard. But you can't. The same keys that trigger slices ALSO switches the patterns. DOH!!
Press the keyboard icon in the bottom left corner. ;)

+1 for multi-out and if possible for the audio recording, read: record three independant tracks on demand.
Last edited by elassi on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

I love my Sugar Bytes products but in my experience they only fix bugs with updates and do not add features. This is the reason for me to wait on the first big update on Egoist. Also if i understood this right Vengeance is working on a Loop plugin too and they patch in customer requests like crazy.
Finally!

cyphersuit wrote:I love my Sugar Bytes products but in my experience they only fix bugs with updates and do not add features.
If I recall right they added midi export to Consequence which was a huge feature upgrade.

solar28 wrote: Egoist doesn't sync w/ your host. It's tempo matches, but unlike every other sequencer plugin on the market -- it doesn't start/stop in sync with host. Only to it's own play button. This means it's useless to play/slice loops in time with your sequencer.
That is a major downer, but should be fixable with a patch

I think I will wait for he inevitable iPad version, this would actually be a useful sketch pad on an ipad, not sure how much much I would use it in the studio, cubase has beat mash and I have turnado, live and a bunch of max based loop mashers, think I have it covered....but I will take the ipad version on release...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

In all fairness, Cyclop had a few teething problems and they were ironed out within a month or so. I'm not bothered about the sync thing since I like to either trigger the loops with MIDI (which lets you chop them around like they were samples) or just sample the whole thing and abuse the shit out of it.

It can be annoying when I've got a two-pattern loop going and I want to tweak filter cutoff of the bass, it keeps jumping between two filter settings for the two patterns. This is awesome, because it lets you sequence between different sounds, but it's also not awesome, because sometimes you want the same, continuously variable sound for both patterns. There may be a way around it that I haven't discovered in the manual yet.

Either way, it's a really fun little sketchpad. I honestly wanted to hate it, or at least not want to buy it, but it's suprisingly deep and open for abuse :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

elassi wrote:
solar28 wrote:2 - Bug: Egoist advertises playing slices with your keyboard. But you can't. The same keys that trigger slices ALSO switches the patterns. DOH!!
Press the keyboard icon in the bottom left corner. ;)

+1 for multi-out and if possible for the audio recording, read: record three independant tracks on demand.
That's the bug elassi. The keyboard icon is pressed. And if you "click" the key it plays the slice. If you play the same key on your midi keyboard, it both plays the slice AND switches the pattern.

Ah, I see. Indeed just tested it with the mouse. Sorry, solar82. :)

solar28 wrote:That's the bug elassi. The keyboard icon is pressed. And if you "click" the key it plays the slice. If you play the same key on your midi keyboard, it both plays the slice AND switches the pattern.
Would it be possible to set up the plug so that input from the midi keyboard is on a different midi-channel?

Return to “Instruments”