What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

video from my daughter's adviser at school (why this school is so good)

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Rad Grandad

24599 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from New England U.S.A.

Postby Hink; Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:14 am video from my daughter's adviser at school (why this school is so good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qvPEGdX5Pc#t=46

My daughter's adviser made this, the advisor is in the video near the end and about in the middle singing to the song (yes she looks like one of the kids). My daughter is first in the video around 40 seconds in, she is the small girl with short hair, always wearing fingerless gloves and believe it or not she'll be 19 in October.

I dont know who the two little boys are, I'll have to ask Lauren...I love this school, my daughter feels like she belong and is very attached to the school which is awesome because education now is something she feels more passionate about...but I wont miss driving her everyday...180 days to go (school days)...:tu:
As long as you hate, there will be people to hate
-George Harrison
KVRAF

10998 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Compyfox; Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:33 am Re: video from my daughter's adviser at school (why this school is so good)

Sadly, Germany's YT is being a total d*ck, since the video is blocked with the usual "we couldn't agree on the rights with the GEMA yet" warning sign. :(
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:44 pm Re: video from my daughter's adviser at school (why this school is so good)

Okay, I snagged the video through certain ways that DO NOT ask for my IP, and now I know why it's blocked: it's using a track by Michael Jackson for this video. (Actually one from the Xscape album)

The video on the other hand is VERY inspirational. Seen Lauren a couple of times in the vid as well.

And truth be told, I'd have gone ways to go to such a school - if it would have been possible to me. Reminds me of the short encounter I had in class 9 ("General School") after jumped out of "Realschule" (another secondary school type) due to health, bad grades and what have you. This short experience turned my views on school upside down - less elitism, the teachers actually cared for you at some point (unless you grew up with the same class for years and you acted like idiots). Learning actually made fun again!

I then had the joy to join an experimental education system, that closed the bridge between "Hauptschule" (General School) and "Realschule", with the advantage to get the same degree as being at Realschule. And even if I couldn't take music classes in that year, and I was like "I've taken enough school for the time being", it was the best year of my life.

People finally took me serious in what I did, I had time to dive more into the music realm, I found respect in and by my classmates, fun, love (at the end of this year and for the following 12 months - which made me absolutely happy, until I hit absolute rock bottom for several years), I had good grades again (until that one black out in math in the finals... still don't know what happened, I was among the best in class!), my teachers weren't "the enemy" (working against you) anymore, etc.

John, this is the best that could have happened to your daughter. Looking at this video, I saw friendship, unity, fun off-school activities, fun in the classroom, open minded thinking.... I'm surprised that this isn't half a Montessori type school.

Either way. Sometimes I wish our society wouldn't be so narrow minded, with a broom in the rear end and blinders on the eyes, just to "function" (without will, you're force to otherwise) in the high-performance society we live in. No, instead it's "get out of primary school, go to a gymnasium, make your "Abitur", go to college and study your Master", and then get a f*cked up job for 6,50EUR/hour since the standards to even get a job are so darn high these days, so that it's not even funny anymore.

Definitely thanks for sharing this.
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:16 pm Re: video from my daughter's adviser at school (why this school is so good)

thanx compy :)

I know probably some people tire of these type posts but the truth is I am just so relieved I need to share it and maybe someone else in such a situation will benefit. My daughter is so lucky that we found this school, she was in public school through 7th grade. She has ADHD but it's really bad, she was on meds until 4 years ago. The Lowell public schools would ostracize her and suspend her because she could keep still...yes at least a dozen suspensions over 7 years of school never for anything but being a distraction...not yelling out or anything but just always frigidity. She hated school, she was frustrated because she was so lost (when she was in 3rd grade I begged for them to keep her back but they refused).

Her 8th grade year they had it and sent her to school with only 10 kids in each class and 50 kids total but most of them (not all) were bullies and other trouble makers. At first I was mad but then I saw the school, amazing...they had a Golden Lab named Emma that walked around the classes (the building itself was a school from the late 1800's to mid 1900's with old wood floors, old skool :hihi: ) and the staff was amazing. She did okay there but then they wanted her to go back to Lowell high school but not for her 9th grade year...the school they wanted her to go to was for kids with serious behavior issues, it was like jail and she wasn't going there.

However this school did give us the contact for where she is now, like I said before she stayed back in her 9th grade year...they had someone with here her first two years and some of her third year to help her focus (she no longer needs that) and though she hasn't made honor role yet she has come within 2 points (one "C") and it wasn't math that stopped her so she is an honor student in my book. Next year she will graduate.

Okay but that's not the biggest part of this school, yes they finally found a way to teach her and she did respond but it goes way beyond that. Sure maybe if she went to our high school she would have graduated this year but at what cost? I believe that a diploma is number one priority but if it comes at the cost of hating school we have a problem. That's the point of this video and why I get choked up watching it, she has a home in this school, she feels like she belongs and no one makes her feel like she is not wanted. Now school is fun, she doesn't like missing school, they gave her a purpose and she has responded. She wants to go to college now, before it was "just let me get out of school". I watch this video and see a side of her I waited years to see and now she has been doing it for 5 years (counting her last year at the school with the dog).

That's what brings me so much happiness, now she loves to learn, now she wants to go into to teaching or helping other kids with learning disabilities and she has tremendous bonds with kids she went to school with that she will take with her the rest of her life. You know, like school is suppose to be...not cookie cutter education where if you. dont fit the mold they toss you aside...I could not be any more grateful than I am to this school...they saved my daughter. (Lowell high has gangs, Lowell is a medium size city so they even have to walk through metal detectors...I lived across the street from that school before she was born for 5 years and then it was a nightmare, now it's worse...she would have hated school)

FWIW the school she is at now is not for kids with special needs and in fact a lot of gifted students attend this school...like I have said before, instead of the old "if I can reach one student I will be happy" model so many teachers use, this school says "if we cant reach one student we will find out why)

We have been blessed and I want to scream it out as loud as I can as well as scream out how proud I am of her :)
-George Harrison
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:37 am Re: video from my daughter's adviser at school (why this school is so good)

And you should be.

Graduation and "degrees" is however a thing, that's still totally messed up. At least over here. Here you're judged by your "positive grades" and by those grades only. Don't have any, or your certificate is edgy (to say the least) and not within the "top 1-3 numbers, with 3 at absolute max", you're automatically out of the pool if you want to get a job.

This is a problem, since a lot of young people are actually not stupid, and they can bloom during their work days. But nobody will give them a chance. Why? Because a "test of the knowledge of that particular time" was being graded with a number, a number that was adding up to a final certificate, and that certificate defines you - forever!

Germany has an issue regarding trainees. There are so many places left free each year. Because the company was like "we only want good students - not the bad ones, the misfits". And then they whine publicly on TV, that they don't have enough students - or that the fail rate is too high. And I'm not even touching the point that you're not even sure to get inherited into the company post graduation.

I've encountered all that myself - and I sure as hell wasn't that bad at school, at least time time I was still like "I enjoy school". But after I graduated, I had a school certificate that was considered borderline already for certain jobs (grades were not worse than a 3, out of 6 - while 1 was being the highest grade - or A to F in the US - even after the blackout in math finals). I did fight for it, I did get an acceptable training spot. The first 1,5 years in trainee school were graded normally... then the third year, we had a couple of teachers that were like "you suck, you don't do it right - you're the worst class in school (haven't heard that the first time, teachers are always degrading you), you will ALL FAIL!". We had an American in our class, and he got grades around E's and F's in English class - can you believe that?! I was pulled down myself by at least two grades from B to D or even E! And the despite the fact that we were told that ALL grades will be added up as final certificate, only the last year counted. And this wasn't due to the fact that I was lazy to learn... I did learn my sh*t (I even got an additional certification for "business english" - which meant jack sh*t the day I left school), but the degrees were a sum of scores, declared by momentary grades I got from pop quizzes.

I tried to get jobs with this certificate - and most of the companies I applied to were like "no" right from the start. If it came to an interview, I heard "no"'s up and down as well. I will never forget in participating with a 6 hour recruitment test (as it is "standard" these days, even for crap jobs - it's just torture on purpose) for a call center(!!!), and I walked out of the door right after my interview, and the first thing I heard - without them waiting until the door was closed at least - was "no, we're not taking him". F*cking waste of time.

Summed up...

It's good that your daughter likes school again, likes education and she's supported in terms of going and finding her way. Same with the gifted students that are more than once misunderstood (they are simply bored in class, so they shut down on purpose!). Schools these days are a machinery for mindless people that have to function in our "heavy-duty society". Those that can't keep up, are declared stupid, are put on medication, or branded with other diseases or disorders. That is who we are now as society.

If your daughter can make it this way, then let her do her thing. And I'm sure that she won't be a businesswoman that our society wants to see her in best case (worst case is scrubbing the floor at a Jobcenter or something). But if she finds a job, a profession that will do her good.... this is the best that can happen to anybody.
KVRist

90 posts since 29 Aug, 2008

Postby Kevin Deas; Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:30 am Re: video from my daughter's adviser at school (why this school is so good)

I don't have much to say except the vid makes me feel good.
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:48 am Re: video from my daughter's adviser at school (why this school is so good)

Kevin Deas wrote:I don't have much to say except the vid makes me feel good.

given what you are going through that makes me feel good :)
-George Harrison
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:40 am Re: video from my daughter's adviser at school (why this school is so good)

Compyfox wrote:And you should be.

Graduation and "degrees" is however a thing, that's still totally messed up. At least over here. Here you're judged by your "positive grades" and by those grades only. Don't have any, or your certificate is edgy (to say the least) and not within the "top 1-3 numbers, with 3 at absolute max", you're automatically out of the pool if you want to get a job.

This is a problem, since a lot of young people are actually not stupid, and they can bloom during their work days. But nobody will give them a chance. Why? Because a "test of the knowledge of that particular time" was being graded with a number, a number that was adding up to a final certificate, and that certificate defines you - forever!

Germany has an issue regarding trainees. There are so many places left free each year. Because the company was like "we only want good students - not the bad ones, the misfits". And then they whine publicly on TV, that they don't have enough students - or that the fail rate is too high. And I'm not even touching the point that you're not even sure to get inherited into the company post graduation.

I've encountered all that myself - and I sure as hell wasn't that bad at school, at least time time I was still like "I enjoy school". But after I graduated, I had a school certificate that was considered borderline already for certain jobs (grades were not worse than a 3, out of 6 - while 1 was being the highest grade - or A to F in the US - even after the blackout in math finals). I did fight for it, I did get an acceptable training spot. The first 1,5 years in trainee school were graded normally... then the third year, we had a couple of teachers that were like "you suck, you don't do it right - you're the worst class in school (haven't heard that the first time, teachers are always degrading you), you will ALL FAIL!". We had an American in our class, and he got grades around E's and F's in English class - can you believe that?! I was pulled down myself by at least two grades from B to D or even E! And the despite the fact that we were told that ALL grades will be added up as final certificate, only the last year counted. And this wasn't due to the fact that I was lazy to learn... I did learn my sh*t (I even got an additional certification for "business english" - which meant jack sh*t the day I left school), but the degrees were a sum of scores, declared by momentary grades I got from pop quizzes.

I tried to get jobs with this certificate - and most of the companies I applied to were like "no" right from the start. If it came to an interview, I heard "no"'s up and down as well. I will never forget in participating with a 6 hour recruitment test (as it is "standard" these days, even for crap jobs - it's just torture on purpose) for a call center(!!!), and I walked out of the door right after my interview, and the first thing I heard - without them waiting until the door was closed at least - was "no, we're not taking him". F*cking waste of time.

Summed up...

It's good that your daughter likes school again, likes education and she's supported in terms of going and finding her way. Same with the gifted students that are more than once misunderstood (they are simply bored in class, so they shut down on purpose!). Schools these days are a machinery for mindless people that have to function in our "heavy-duty society". Those that can't keep up, are declared stupid, are put on medication, or branded with other diseases or disorders. That is who we are now as society.

If your daughter can make it this way, then let her do her thing. And I'm sure that she won't be a businesswoman that our society wants to see her in best case (worst case is scrubbing the floor at a Jobcenter or something). But if she finds a job, a profession that will do her good.... this is the best that can happen to anybody.

I think that once she graduates high school she will be very empowered by her conquering this huge 13 year long hurdle. She's a lot different than most teenage girls, while in fact maturity wise she's closer to 16 than 19 she has this gift for empathy. While the wife2b is amazing with her ability to cope with my PTSD my daughter is even better at understanding it and she really helps me a lot. Yesterday sitting in a ton of traffic was a good example, this is a worst case scenario for me. We were on the way to get my daughter and I was getting quite stressed, Denise says to me "dont let it get you stressed" and I snapped back "that's like asking someone who just got cut not to bleed".

Then we get my daughter and she gets in the car and knows right away I am very, very stressed. She understands that when I get like that let me vent. When I say "Massachusetts sux, I wish they would nuke it off the face of the earth, the average IQ in America would go up". She just laughs to herself and then once I am back on earth again we laugh about it. I get funny mad when I get mad, but I need to let it out. (she likes it when I pause the TV while watching the news to yell at the TV, I talk back to my TV all the time :oops: )

Finding work here and getting the right education is all messed up right now, you have people with master degrees flipping burgers. Job markets are just flooded with qualified applicants but no jobs for them, you turn on the TV and see ads for this school or that school (hair cutting, medical data entry, massage therapy, truck driving and many more) but the sad fact is a very small percentage actually get work of the few that do graduate. (in the last decade at least three such schools closed up overnight leaving students hanging) They have these promises that they cannot keep and they keep pushing students through the mill just to make money. One common ad runs here where a girl is working her way through college (not a quicky school) and she sees a friend who has already graduated from the certificate school they are advertising for. The girl is trying to encourage the other girl to drop out of college and go to this school which is a terrible suggestion imo...but it does appeal that age group of say 18-25.

IMO that is the hardest stage of development and yes it was rough for me too...except I did some good things and some really stupid things (smart was joining the Army, stupid was turning down West Point, the Army academy so I could get married at 19). At that age we are caught between being a child and being an adult be most often we are in that "I want it and I want it now" and "I'm all grown up, you cant tell me anything" mode. IMO the truth is we are seriously conflicted because are bodies and minds say we are grown but all our experiences in life are based on childhood experiences and not real world experiences. These kids sing up, take on a huge debt (some of these schools are 20K and more) for really a certificate and when they are done they cannot find work. Some do of course but it's a real problem, but with so many people under employed it's brutal looking for work.

So right now I want my daughter to focus on next year and see what comes to her, I would truly hate to be 19 at this time here looking for work. Similar to what you say, no one wants to train people and they only want people with experience but how do you get experience if no one will hire you?

When she first started school waaaay back I sat her on my bed and I had a bunch of candy. I asked her what she would do if I said she could have as much of that candy she wanted for free and she grabbed it all. I then said to her "this is what school is, they are giving away brain candy and you need to grab up as much of it as you can"...she now understands what I meant.

Whatever direction she takes we will be here for her no matter what and I do think she will do well in life...but the next handful of years is going to be rough.
-George Harrison

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic