One-Synth-Challenge 64: Swierk by Saltline (Voting Done: Z.Prime Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
drzewo Swierk

No submission from me this month, as you can see.
I worked on a track .. well .. several actually. I restarted like 3 or 4 times.
Nothing was really 'hitting me' if you know what I mean. I did consider trying to rapidly just "finish up" the track I have, but it just didn't feel right. It would have felt rushed.
Hopefully inspiration strikes me for July's OSC. :D
Now to start listening to all the entries. There's a LOT of 'em, and I haven't listened to any of 'em yet.

I DID spend a lot of time making patches in Swierk tho, and I intend to submit the sound bank I've come up with. So there's that. I just need to polish up a few of them, and maybe add a few more as well. Over 30 patches! (so far) :D

EDIT: BTW .. Is there somewhere we can suggest synths to use for OSC's? :?:

Prize for All Who Entered:

If you competed in this challenge and want the ADHDidi synth prize from Saltine (And didn't get it already from his FB page), PM me with the subject line "ADHDidi prize!" and I'll send you the exclusive OSC link :)

More info here: http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/11 ... e-adhdidi/
Last edited by bjporter on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

artao wrote:EDIT: BTW .. Is there somewhere we can suggest synths to use for OSC's? :?:
Yep, there's the general discussion thread (which seems to be collecting dust as of late :( EDIT: I posted a question about possibly making a drum tutorial :) ):
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4305672

I'm going to check ASAP, but anyone who didn't submit track info / description here, please do so soon per the rules: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules

What an awesome turnout. I've been listening to a few of the tracks and loving them. I'll be listening to them through the course of this week and would like to put them on my site if that's ok with people. I hope ADHDidi comes in handy in your productions, a bit of a strange beast I know (currently working on a video tutorial).

If anyone would like me to make their Swierk patches available through the saltline page I'd be happy to do so also.

I have also taken on board a couple of things people have said about Swierk and will be looking to address these issues and provide a manual for the next update. Thanks again everyone and I look forward to being part of this month's competition!!

saltline wrote:What an awesome turnout. I've been listening to a few of the tracks and loving them. I'll be listening to them through the course of this week and would like to put them on my site if that's ok with people. I hope ADHDidi comes in handy in your productions, a bit of a strange beast I know (currently working on a video tutorial).
Hope we could help you out. I should say that getting feedback from the designer is an extra bonus in the contest. Thank you for being a close part of this and sharing your software. Swierk has a character all its own!

saltline wrote:I have also taken on board a couple of things people have said about Swierk and will be looking to address these issues and provide a manual for the next update. Thanks again everyone and I look forward to being part of this months competition!!
Especially thanks to you for making Swierk and giving it away free for people to use. That is true generosity, I'm sure you put a lot of effort into making it a nice synth that works great!

I'm assuming you already know these, but the few gripes I had were:

* Turning knobs was inconsistent, it seems as though they used the old-style cubase rotate-around style mouse movement randomly instead of up/down... IMO, up/down is vastly superior; unsure if this was it but they would sometimes move backwards etc... using Reaper 32-bit on Windows 8.1 x64, here.
* Overall EQ made things difficult to sit in the mix, perhaps something to do with the LPF's, specifically, but most patches just lost the high end sheen and I had to boost the highs with EQ immensely (like... sometimes +12db on the track AND on the master)
* Envelope curves were strange... maybe too sloped? Took movement toward the middle of the slider before things like pitch down became audible (e.g. kick drums, etc); so lost 1/3-1/2 of the distance for real tweaking
* Ctrl-click / double click on controls should reset them (then you can get rid of some of those buttons!)

And, things I really liked:

* The UI is lovely, I could look at it for hours and drool...
* The feature set is very good - everything you need for a full track: noise, 2 osc, sub
* Sync & oscillator selection is great: lots of variety to be had
* Could boost the LFO into audible range using mod matrix :)

Anyway, again, thanks so much for being an awesome, generous person to give a nice synth like this to the people!

saltline wrote:What an awesome turnout. I've been listening to a few of the tracks and loving them. I'll be listening to them through the course of this week and would like to put them on my site if that's ok with people. I hope ADHDidi comes in handy in your productions, a bit of a strange beast I know (currently working on a video tutorial).

If anyone would like me to make their Swierk patches available through the saltline page I'd be happy to do so also.

I have also taken on board a couple of things people have said about Swierk and will be looking to address these issues and provide a manual for the next update. Thanks again everyone and I look forward to being part of this month's competition!!
I would love to have my bank on your site. I hope it's up to snuff to do so. I hope to have it online today. :D

RE: Things I'd like to see in Swierk. ... I kept wanting to modulate the LFOs' speed and width, particularly with envelope 3, but also modulate one LFO with the other. Also, I really couldn't notice any change when modulating the unison.
Great synth tho, thanks so much for your awesome work man!! :party:
I've already fiddled with ADHDidi a bit, and it is a DEEEP synth. That one will take some time, indeed. Cool sounds. Complex but not TOO complex.

Wow guys, plenty to take on board. I will certainly implement some of your suggestions and keep working to improve my plugins. I hope you all understand though that as they are freeware there is only so far I will take a synth, this doesn't mean that improvements made will be small but I am hoping to release something commercial with a far bigger feature set however, keep your eyes peeled for the updates and I'll do my best to please.

My biggest gripe with it is the noise on higher octaves, and the way the square/pulse has been implemented, which might actually be correct, but prevents me from making some key patches, mostly solo string instruments such as bass and other guitars. But who knows what it is intended for...

On the contrary. Thank you.
The first thing you learn in life is that you're a fool. The last thing you learn is that you're the same fool. ~ Ray Bradbury.

pmj_rit wrote:

On the contrary. Thank you.
And of course it's OK with me. There may be another version of my entry at some point as I am not content with it musically.
The first thing you learn in life is that you're a fool. The last thing you learn is that you're the same fool. ~ Ray Bradbury.

fluffy_little_something wrote:My biggest gripe with it is the noise on higher octaves, and the way the square/pulse has been implemented, which might actually be correct, but prevents me from making some key patches, mostly solo string instruments such as bass and other guitars. But who knows what it is intended for...
I am looking into these things too.

Thanks for making your synth available for free. It sounds great, is stable and easy to use. Although I only spent two days with it (so far...) I found it a joy to use :)
I'd love for you to have my tune on your site, though I feel its only half done and will probably spend more time and do a new version. Similarly i will make the patches I created available though there are only about five so far.

Not heard any of the other entries yet, so time to start. Looks like an exciting line up! 8)

Well, I finished up my preset bank for y'all. It's got 35 sounds in it. Enjoy!! and please let me know what you think of these patches 8)
Available here >> http://www.kvraudio.com/product/drzewo- ... /downloads

and Saltine, by all means, put it up on your site. I would be honored. :D

Return to “Instruments”