Have I just fallen victim to iLok?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I was messing around with a track. Decided to load up Little PrimalTap. Got a dialog box up "This software cannot be run because the activation experience thinks the authorization was found, but the wrapper could not verify it". I then fired up iLok Licence Manager to see what was going on. My machine was listed there with my activations.

When I logged in there were now two instances of this machine. My (now offline) one with my activations and a new one which has no activations. The "location id" has changed somehow and the original entry for my machine doesn't list my name or email address. Just the number of licences activated on it and it's location id.

So I'm locked out of 4 of my 5 ilok plugins right now. Two of them only had a single activation and I don't want to activate anything else until I find out what happened here.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Update: Panic over. I was able to get things back to normal again.

Since nobody answered so far...
No, you have definitely not fallen victim to iLok - the same can happen to other C/R systems as well.

I think the culprit is fairly simple. You chanced something in your settings (the hint is, that your rig is now "offline", or maybe even removed/switched hardware... this can result in a different "machine ID". Only the holy spaghetti lord knows why this is happening.

To prevent something like that, I got the USB key on purpose.
It's also easier to move stuff around or use at a different rig. Though YMMV.

But hopefully this might help you solve your problem.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

sprnva wrote: Update: Panic over. I was able to get things back to normal again.
phew 8) what was the solution?

The simplest solution that would have come to mind, would be to log into the iLok manager and do either of the two things:

a) move the licenses to an USB key - and if possible back to HDD again (which I usually do not recommend)
b) move the license from registered rig 1 to registered rig 2. If they are within the same account, moving licenses should be possible without trouble

I think either of this is what the OP did.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

It didn't help that this happened late at night. As time went on I got closer and closer to finding the cause: the driver for my ethernet had stopped loading. I hadn't noticed this as I only use wi-fi. That was what caused the location ID to change.

Once I got it working again the next challenge was to figure out how to get my old location ID back. The fix was to uninstall the iLok Licence Manager, delete the preference files and delete the com.paceap.eden.clientdb.v1.01.sdb. This last bit was critical. I'm guessing that this is what held my location ID and once it had updated there was no going back. I rebooted, restored a copy of com.paceap.eden.clientdb.v1.01.sdb from a recent backup (thanks Time Machine!) and then reinstalled the iLok Licence Manager. Saw my old location ID again and breathed a sigh of relief.

I didn't think about moving licences from one computer to another. I did try to de-activate them but obviously couldn't as the machine was "offline" so I don't know if moving would have worked.

I'll probably pick up a key at some stage. If nothing else it'll allow me to use my free copy of Little MicroShift that won't support computer-based activation. As a side-note my Korg and Native Instruments plugins worked fine. The only other thing that broke (and was the cue to getting me to check the ethernet) was Live.

So my thought that something changed, was correct. Can happen, shouldn't happen, but yet it does.

Glad that it got sorted out eventually. And maybe LiitleMicroshift will also turn into iLok HDD. Still, I'd put them on an USB key - you never know what happens to your rig - so they are "fairly save" on there.

Re non ilok hard drive identity.

Usually it's pretty easy to contact the non ilok company and say.. Hey, I bought this stuff and used a different email. Then they will ask you something simple to verify the account purchase. Once that's done they can update the account to reflect your current situation.

I do this everyday as a support tech. Someone changes email address and computers can't get the old stuff back. As soon as I can verify the account / purchase the user gets the full hook up. New email address, account reset for new key. Everything is right as rain again.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”