Cubase & Kontakt Problem!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, I just registered on this forum so I can share my problem since I really don't knw how to solve it.

I am running Cubase 7 (64 bit) as my DAW and also Kontakt is 64 bit (checked it numerous times, it is 64 bit, there's no doubt about it).

Now, I have 12 GB of RAM, but every time I reach somewhere around 5,5 GB, I get a message: "Could not allocate enough memory. Application is likely to become unstable. Please save under different name" something like that.

Now, I know that 32 bit kontakt has a limit of 4 GB, but my DAW and Kontakt player are all 64 bit!

I don't know what could be the problem, I went as far as trying to search if there is a way for windows to separate RAM usage of Cubase (so it stays at the same level) and Kontakt player so when I load and instrument in it, it loads separately as Kontakt on my task manager processes (something like memory usage for mac users).

So, if any of you have this problem or know the solution when both plugins are 64 bit, I would really appreciate. I don't mind bouncing tracks to audio, but since my projects and work is getting bigger and bigger it can become quite tiring to change, bounce, change, bounce, etc.

Also, checked my RAM, there's no mistake on it, works fine and on 1333 mghz.

so have you tried opening task manager-performance-resource monitor-memory to see what your ram is doing?
you could always add more ram, 12 gigs isn't that much for what you are doing.

First of all check that your Kontakt plugin and standalone files are the same exact version.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Yes, I know it isn't that much, but I manage to deal with it. The only thing that frustrates me is that I can't use my full RAM resource...

When I open task manager, it says I still have available around 6 gigs... Insase... :?

My VST is inside my cubase steinberg/vst plugins, and standalone is in regular native instruments folder in program files.

It's happened to me on occasion with 24GB RAM using it in Vienna Ensemble Pro. A very few times. I don't know why, but it shouldn't happen as a matter of course, there is something basically wrong if you run into it predictably. Maybe your OS is dealing with RAM in a funny way, not releasing it.

I don't remember much about Windows memory. OSX has this awful thing of the 'inactive' block growing and growing, could have had something to do when I had this happen. I use a purge command from terminal fairly often.

You have to account for how much RAM Windows itself is using - I have W7 and just figure for safety's sake that it needs at least 1 gig on its own. Then there's Cubase and anything you have running in it, and the Kontakt VST itself, then the samples you're loading... it's easy to hit those invisible walls.

If you are using RAM-intensive effects, you might try recording the sample-only track to audio, then remove Kontakt and run a send from the audio track to an FX track using those effects.

actually Kontakt using ~5.5 gigs and there is 6 gigs of 12 still available seems highly unlikely, doesn't it.

I can't really help, but it would be interesting to know whether the issue persists when you run Kontakt standalone and try to load the same libraries.

When I'm using standalone Kontakt, not as VST, the issue isn't there, it just runs over that intial 5.5 GB problem... I've tried it now. But immediately after I put it in Cubase, there's that message.

So it might be problem th Cuase, I really don't know now. Because when I run Cubase, everything is stored within Cubase so maye cubase is acting up, kontakt is becoming unstable within Cubase (wild guess) :?:

Here's a pic of my taskbar when I opened standalone kontakt and just throw a bunch of high ram consuming libraries that I have:

It goes over that 5.5 GB...

I don't know, whatever it is, even if it is somehow my fault or something I did, it would be nice to at least know what it is.

Standalone means you're not running Cubase. What else is different?

Is that bottom image running it as standalone? The free memory readout is only 29MB. The way it works here is that 'standby' is not released unless I purge it or reboot, ie., it is not useful until then.

The message is coming through Cubase, isn't it? Are you getting any use out of the standalone with those indications of your memory? It looks like you're out of useful memory regardless of plugin or standalone there, so my takeaway is that the salient difference is the error message which is a bit of a red herring. I think you need to get ahold of that dark blue area 'standby' in order to not see that message while using Cubase. Again, I purge fairly frequently. I don't see that message but the 'inactive' RAM grows and grows until I'm de facto out of RAM and I will start to see performance issues.

Yeah, both images are from standalone, kontakt running without cubase.

So, right now it's 7 GB RAM on standby with only google chrome running. When I put more and moe instruments into Kontakt, the standby RAM is getting lower and lower. The thing is, I uploaded those images just for the test that I can go well over 5.5 GB (that is making problem in Cubase when I'm running kontakt in there)...

Yeah, I may have to look around to purge memory... Maybe it will fix the problem, I hope so.

Thanks for all the help, guys, really appreciate it!

Return to “Instruments”