What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

User avatar
bmrzycki
KVRAF
 
3227 posts since 11 Aug, 2006, from Austin, TX

Postby bmrzycki; Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:09 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

It took me a while but I found the root cause of BachRule's audio problem:
Image
cytoSonic
KVRist
 
47 posts since 28 Oct, 2012, from United States

Postby cytoSonic; Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:28 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

I just want to chime in here to point out something that hasn't been stated yet. The OP's original rant started because Reaper didn't default to offline processing. This, he claimed, is a gross oversight on the Reaper developers because everyone wants the best possible rendering of audio. Likewise his Kontakt instruments aren't interpolated correctly because of Cockos' blatant disregard for its customers' needs. Then why, I ask, is the DEFAULT setting in Kontakt's interpolation setting "Like Realtime"?

From the Kontakt Manual...
The default setting is Like Realtime, which will use each Source Module’s HQI setting during offline operation


Shall we start a new topic titled "Kontakt Sounds Like Poop!"? Man, if Native Instruments was worth a lick, they should know that we all want our audio rendered perfectly! The must not know what they are doing and all those NI fanboys should just shut the hell up! :wink:

-Brad
hibidy
KVRAF
 
41155 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:32 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

Please try and not be so "common sense" oriented. This is the internet, and we MUST spazz.
BachRules
Banned

Postby BachRules; Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:40 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

cytoSonic wrote:Then why, I ask, is the DEFAULT setting in Kontakt's interpolation setting "Like Realtime"?

It's not, as you can verify yourself.
cytoSonic
KVRist
 
47 posts since 28 Oct, 2012, from United States

Postby cytoSonic; Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:47 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

BachRules wrote:
cytoSonic wrote:Then why, I ask, is the DEFAULT setting in Kontakt's interpolation setting "Like Realtime"?

It's not, as you can verify yourself.


Kontakt 5 Application Reference, Page 48, first full sentence as quoted above. Can be verified by anybody here with Kontakt or access to NI's website.

What exactly is your problem, anyway, man?

-Brad
BachRules
Banned

Postby BachRules; Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:55 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

cytoSonic wrote:
BachRules wrote:
cytoSonic wrote:Then why, I ask, is the DEFAULT setting in Kontakt's interpolation setting "Like Realtime"?

It's not, as you can verify yourself.


Kontakt 5 Application Reference, Page 48, first full sentence as quoted above. Can be verified by anybody here with Kontakt or access to NI's website.

I tested it on my system and it doesn't default like; but maybe that's because I changed the setting long ago and it stored the changed setting and uses it as the default in new instances.

cytoSonic wrote:What exactly is your problem, anyway, man?

The problem is this:

BachRules wrote:As a result, Kontakt, EWQL Play, and Vienna Instruments drop notes during offline rendering if they think they're running out of time.

And a different issue with DCAM Synth Squad.

Though the problem is obscured by the headline which the KVR mod chose for this thread.

And the problem isn't mine, since I already changed the setting in Reaper. The problem is for future Reaper users, like this:

I'm trying to track down a problem....

I did some more testing on this....

I'm not sure why the default is off.

I have this annoying problem....

In Reaper you just have to check 'inform plug-ins of offline rendering state' checkbox in Preferences.

the spectrum above ~7KHz is audibly muffled even if the filter is fully opened.

I noticed that one of my tracks sounded different when I froze it.

Please try checking "Inform plug-ins of offline rendering state" in Preferences->Plug-ins->VST...Compatibility settings.

and a problem for "Tod", "DarkStar" and other people who spend their time helping Reaper noobs because Cockos doesn't care to fix this.
Last edited by BachRules on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BachRules
Banned

Postby BachRules; Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:59 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

edit: moved up
Last edited by BachRules on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cytoSonic
KVRist
 
47 posts since 28 Oct, 2012, from United States

Postby cytoSonic; Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:59 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

BachRules wrote:I tested it on my system and it doesn't default like; but maybe that's because I changed the setting long ago and it stored the changed setting and uses it as the default in new instances.

See, that wasn't so hard. :wink:

-Brad
BachRules
Banned

Postby BachRules; Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:05 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

cytoSonic wrote:See, that wasn't so hard. :wink:

Who cares about this:

I'm trying to track down a problem....

I did some more testing on this....

I'm not sure why the default is off.

I have this annoying problem....

In Reaper you just have to check 'inform plug-ins of offline rendering state' checkbox in Preferences.

the spectrum above ~7KHz is audibly muffled even if the filter is fully opened.

I noticed that one of my tracks sounded different when I froze it.

Please try checking "Inform plug-ins of offline rendering state" in Preferences->Plug-ins->VST...Compatibility settings.

Tod will fix it, one Reaper noob at a time.
Last edited by BachRules on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
aciddose
KVRAF
 
9056 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:15 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

Image
BachRules
Banned

Postby BachRules; Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:21 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

cytoSonic, why do you want this:

I'm trying to track down a problem....

I did some more testing on this....

I'm not sure why the default is off.

I have this annoying problem....

In Reaper you just have to check 'inform plug-ins of offline rendering state' checkbox in Preferences.

the spectrum above ~7KHz is audibly muffled even if the filter is fully opened.

I noticed that one of my tracks sounded different when I froze it.

Please try checking "Inform plug-ins of offline rendering state" in Preferences->Plug-ins->VST...Compatibility settings.

Why do you want Tod doing the same thing over and over again. Let me ask you that about your rant?
cytoSonic
KVRist
 
47 posts since 28 Oct, 2012, from United States

Postby cytoSonic; Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:31 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

aciddose wrote:Image

I know, I know :oops:

This guy is a piece of work!

BackRules wrote:Why do you want Tod doing the same thing over and over again. Let me ask you that about your rant?


Well, obviously, if you've found these issues documented on the Cockos forum, others will, too.

And I was simply pointing out that your original problem was that Reaper had a default setting that made your tracks sound "awful". This, to you, was unacceptable. Kontakt has a default setting that, in effect, yields the same result. Does this mean that Kontakt makes your tracks sound "awful"?

My question, then, is what is your main gripe? Is it poorly chosen default settings? Is it issues that, while well documented, may be frustrating for new users? Either way, these seem like very minor quibbles. Certainly not enough to warrant the original title you had on this thread.

-Brad
hibidy
KVRAF
 
41155 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:36 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

So, the reason I couldn't get the "phat" beatz in reaper is because it's shit?

Honestly, I used kontakt in reaper all the time, it sounded fine.
BachRules
Banned

Postby BachRules; Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:44 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

cytoSonic wrote:Well, obviously, if you've found these issues documented on the Cockos forum, others will, too.

But it's not working like you say.

cytoSonic wrote:And I was simply pointing out that your original problem was that Reaper had a default setting that made your tracks sound "awful".

Then you misunderstood, because I was talking about lots of people's tracks, in the past and the predictable future.

cytoSonic wrote:My question, then, is what is your main gripe? Is it poorly chosen default settings?

I've answered that plenty of times already in this thread.

cytoSonic wrote:Is it issues that, while well documented

"Well documented" where? In the Reaper manual? What page?

cytoSonic wrote:Either way, these seem like very minor quibbles. Certainly not enough to warrant the original title you had on this thread.

Inferior sound is inferior sound, no matter how much you slack-jawed Reaper drones get a kick out of watching Tod do the same thing over and over again.
BachRules
Banned

Postby BachRules; Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:45 pm Re: Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

hibidy wrote:Honestly, I used kontakt in reaper all the time, it sounded fine.

But it's not all about you.

http://forum.cockos.com/archive/index.php/t-83815.html
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)